Melissa Reese On Playing In GN'R: 'F**cking Dream Job, It's Awesome'

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Just because a band doesn't operate the way you dream it is, it has no relevance to it being an actual band. Somethemselves, st look for something to bash every minute I guess

Careful, don't let facts get in the way of the guy's feelings. There are a lot of guys here that feel that THEY know better than the band themselves, surprisingly enough we haven't heard of none of them ever making it on their own in the music business even though they all know what's better for other people's lives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

In the old days, all this stuff made them dangerous and mysterious. Nowadays, it just looks sad - like they are completely out of touch with their fanbase. But look, I get it. It's easier for Axl to hire some session musicians that are grateful to just be there rather than share his power with 4 other original members and run the band as a collective unit. He won't have complete control over the direction of the band if he does that. God forbid he shares any power. Especially given the bang up job he's done running the band into the ground the last 25 years. 

Here is the thing, if this was 2013 I would totally agree with the "sad" part.  However they have been incredibly successful last year and this year, getting mostly positive reception from the vast majority of concertgoers as well as the people who actually attend the shows.  What goes on behind the scenes, we as fans are not 100 privy to, all I know is that shows are selling - the band sounds great, and whatever is going on behind the scenes I cannot tell you about because I am no insider, just like everyone here.  I see no travesty here, honestly.  Things are a lot more positive than what a lot of people here make it out to be.  

Obviously there are disagreements between Adler, Izzy, and the rest of the camp.  The specifics or who is right and who is wrong - I simply cannot say and neither can anyone else here

I think its important to remember that is not Melissa's fault, nor is she an obsticle in the way of Izzy or Steven returning. That's a dumb reason to dislike her. Blame Axl or blame Izzy for their inability to come to a financial agreement that satisfies both parties. :shrugs:

In fairness, she is unnecessary even in the context of the current lineup. I didn't find Pittman to be particularly neccessary either. I have the utmost respect and admiration for skilled DJs, producers, and electronic artists, but neither she or Pittman are ever really utilized in that way, nor does it make a lot of sense in a rock n roll band like GNR. 

Perhaps if she was to make significant contributions to a new album it would be a lil more justified. But I don't think we need two keyboardists tacked onto songs that weren't designed to have a pair of keyboardists. 

Also y'all making fun of her millenial slang? Jesus people :lol:

18 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I think its important to remember that is not Melissa's fault, nor is she an obsticle in the way of Izzy or Steven returning. That's a dumb reason to dislike her. Blame Axl or blame Izzy for their inability to come to a financial agreement that satisfies both parties. :shrugs:

In fairness, she is unnecessary even in the context of the current lineup. I didn't find Pittman to be particularly neccessary either. I have the utmost respect and admiration for skilled DJs, producers, and electronic artists, but neither she or Pittman are ever really utilized in that way, nor does it make a lot of sense in a rock n roll band like GNR. 

Perhaps if she was to make significant contributions to a new album it would be a lil more justified. But I don't think we need two keyboardists tacked onto songs that weren't designed to have a pair of keyboardists. 

Also y'all making fun of her millenial slang? Jesus people :lol:

Millennials don't say "Rad" - that's Gen X slang ;)

It's not her fault for taking a cool gig that pays well but boy does she look lame up there. Axl's new and hip replacement for Tracy and Roberta - the DJ/raver. Cringe worthy addition really - but hey, it's Axl. What can you do.

The man loves to bloat his music with unnecessary shit.

On 2/24/2017 at 4:02 PM, WhazUp said:

Here is the thing, if this was 2013 I would totally agree with the "sad" part.  However they have been incredibly successful last year and this year, getting mostly positive reception from the vast majority of concertgoers as well as the people who actually attend the shows.  What goes on behind the scenes, we as fans are not 100 privy to, all I know is that shows are selling - the band sounds great, and whatever is going on behind the scenes I cannot tell you about because I am no insider, just like everyone here.  I see no travesty here, honestly.  Things are a lot more positive than what a lot of people here make it out to be.  

Obviously there are disagreements between Adler, Izzy, and the rest of the camp.  The specifics or who is right and who is wrong - I simply cannot say and neither can anyone else here

Fair enough. This tour has been really successful so good for them. Looks like they made the right call with Izzy and Adler at the end of the day given the massive success of NITL.  

With this band, we will never know what is truly going on -- they never release any information and when they do, it's really ambiguous. Neither Duff nor Axl were able to give clear answers to the Steven and Izzy question. These boards survive on speculation and all fans can do is piece together the story from rumors, one-liners from Izzy and Steven's stream of consciousness interviews. Team Brazil's credibility is questionable at best and they aren't known for being forthcoming with updating the fans on GnR news.

Looking at the situation objectively, there is enough that we do know to speculate that something just isn't quite right with the way this reunion came together. I'm happy to see Axl, Duff, and Slash on stage together though. Hopefully it will lead to new music. 

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously.. They are equally as bad... Never mind their personalities, but the whole position just dilutes the intensity of the band in a way..

Well, I understand we all have different opinions here on the position.. We suddenly have a wave of out f touch Reese supporters from earlier and yikes:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: Some don't care either way because they don't see a second keyboard player as hurting the sound of the band, some do because it appears to be money spent in an area that's not necessary. Like spending money for the sake of spending money, which maybe some like to do idk I only know that I personally don't like to blow my money for kicks. I replace a lightbulb because the old one died out, not because I didn't like the way it looked.

All I know for sure is for anyone to say that Melissa has been light years better for this band like she's massively talented and has used that talent to it's full extent in GNR...give me a break. Melissa Reese= Chris Pitman. Like it or not, male or female, doesn't matter. She's not killing the band but cmon people, she's contributing as much as Ole Beich ever did to GNR.

If Melissa Reese being in GNR doesn't make a difference in terms of paying Adler or Izzy getting his cut of the loot, then who cares? But, if we really don't need a second keyboardist and that salary put in Izzy's direction put Izzy over and got him back, then having Melissa Reese would prove to be more embarrassing then it looks.. Yup.

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

On 24.2.2017 at 11:12 PM, RONIN said:

I saw them in San Diego and they put on a good live show. Axl, Duff, and Slash are great entertainers. That doesn't really contradict what I said before though. This band is run with neolithic incompetence from the amateur hour management, to Axl taking decades between albums, firing or alienating amazing talent (Izzy, Matt, Buckethead, Brain, Freese - the cavalcade of hit record producers), doing zero press for quite possibly the biggest reunion in rock, bringing in unnecessary members that bloat their sound and stage shows .... do you want me to continue?   It is what it is. They could have been the next Stones, but instead settled for a decade too late cash grab reunion tour. And they couldn't even do that properly since Izzy and Steven are MIA.

Right, because the "band", as run by Beta and Axl, are a model example of how to manage a multi-million dollar brand properly. Just because Axl hands us a shit sandwich doesn't mean we have to accept it with a smile on our face. The fact is, anybody can say 1+1 = 3, that doesn't make it so.

For the last 20 years Axl has been telling us that his revolving lineup of musicians were Guns N' Roses. People didn't buy it and by the end, nu guns were reduced to playing birthday parties and half empty arenas. That is a fact. The band's finances were so dire, Axl didn't even have enough money to pay Pittman (allegedly). Pointing out all of this doesn't make me an expert in band management. It's just common sense.  Most fans would like GnR to just operate like any other normal band. Is saying that being presumptuous and bashing Axl's grand vision? Wake up and smell the coffee. A spade is a spade. 

Nothing about the way the band is run makes any sense really. In the old days, all this stuff made them dangerous and mysterious. Nowadays, it just looks sad - like they are completely out of touch with their fanbase. But look, I get it. It's easier for Axl to hire some session musicians that are grateful to just be there rather than share his power with 4 other original members and run the band as a collective unit. He won't have complete control over the direction of the band if he does that. God forbid he shares any power. Especially given the bang up job he's done running the band into the ground the last 25 years. 

I have nothing against Melissa, but take a look at the video below: (fast forward to 3:37). Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think the band would be okay if she wasn't on the payroll. Doesn't seem like she's integral to the shows unless you like her dancing.

This is so stupid. She could do anything with her keyboards/synthesizer/sampler. But she has to play a shaker during some of the songs. I feel so sorry for her. Wasted potential.

Edited by Sosso

24 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

She only play those shaker/being useless on DTJ, Godfather, Layla, and Patience/Don't Cry. It's quite few when we think they play almost 25 song a night.

That might me correct. But she could play keyboard on Don't Cry for example. Or add some effects to DTJ and Godfather.

I would love to hear a song with her on piano.

Edited by Sosso

19 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That might me correct. But she could play keyboard on Don't Cry for example. Or add some effects to DTJ and Godfather.

I would love to hear a song with her on piano.

Dizzy already play piano on DC, DTJ and GF didn't have any hidden key part, that's why she only play shaker.

16 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Dizzy already play piano on DC, DTJ and GF didn't have any hidden key part, that's why she only play shaker.

Yeah, and there is no piano on the album version. Neither by Dizzy or Axl. 

So I don't see a reason why she shouldn't add something to the song. 

Edited by Sosso

On 2017-02-24 at 5:12 PM, RONIN said:

In the old days, all this stuff made them dangerous and mysterious. Nowadays, it just looks sad - like they are completely out of touch with their fanbase. But look, I get it. It's easier for Axl to hire some session musicians that are grateful to just be there rather than share his power with 4 other original members and run the band as a collective unit. He won't have complete control over the direction of the band if he does that. God forbid he shares any power. Especially given the bang up job he's done running the band into the ground the last 25 years. 

Before I read this post, I was going to buy one of those reasonably priced silk pillows on the Guns N' Roses merch store, but now....

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On vrijdag 24 februari 2017 at 9:26 PM, WhazUp said:

If the band I saw last year at Dodger Stadium was a travesty then I think every single great band in the world is a travesty :lol:

You may have seen 'a band' at Dodger Stadium, but it sure wasn't GNR...

... and I don't NEED to go looking for a reason to bash this 'band', Axl has been providing me with a steady supply of reasons to bash him since '96 ...

:facepalm:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

... and I don't NEED to go looking for a reason to bash this 'band', Axl has been providing me with a steady supply of reasons to bash him since '96 ...

...nah it was GNR I saw lol. No need to be a negative nancy all the time

10 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Exactly. 

I understand now why the AFD purists could not accept the UYI lineup. After being in the wilderness with Nu Guns, it all makes sense. The hybrid lineup only reinforces the point: Original lineup or bust. Accept no substitutes. 

Adding Izzy in there would be a huge shot in the arm. I never saw the '91 UYI shows so I have no frame of reference if the band was still firing on all cylinders without Steven, but Stradlin would give them legitimacy as more than a legacy act at this point.

Edited by RONIN

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Exactly. 

I understand now why the AFD purists could not accept the UYI lineup. After being in the wilderness with Nu Guns, it all makes sense.

I wonder if someone said in 1985: Bring Tracii Guns back ;)

• Like 1