25 Years of the Tokyo '92 DVD...

I had a VHS of Paris PPV that a friend gave me.  I watched it hundreds of times.  As a young person I didn't have money to buy Tokyo 92.  I had seen bits of Tokyo over the years and it the audio mix always sounded flat to my ears.  The visual seemed dark and muted as well.  I think I was just so used to Paris, which starts in the day light and has an open air sound.  I wonder if theres two lineages of fans among us: the Paris-Centric and the Tokyo-centric?  I wonder what it means about our experience of the band?

Thanks for posting this, this will be my first viewing of entire show!  

27 minutes ago, soon said:

I had a VHS of Paris PPV that a friend gave me.  I watched it hundreds of times.  As a young person I didn't have money to buy Tokyo 92.  I had seen bits of Tokyo over the years and it the audio mix always sounded flat to my ears.  The visual seemed dark and muted as well.  I think I was just so used to Paris, which starts in the day light and has an open air sound.  I wonder if theres two lineages of fans among us: the Paris-Centric and the Tokyo-centric?  I wonder what it means about our experience of the band?

You're short-sighted enough to not include a third lineage of fans...those that actually attended performances during this time.

Fuckin' love the Tokyo 92 Show, because I got both of the original VHS tapes as a gift from my uncle for Christmas, can't remember which year exactly, probably 1995 oder 1996, I was 5 or 6 years old, and just loved (and still love) every single minute of it... my uncle wasn't allowed (by his dad) to go to the 1992 Stuttgart show b/c he was only around 16, and I obviously was too young around that time as well, so everything came full circle when my uncle and I flew over to Los Angeles last year to go to both LA shows and the San Diego show... what an awesome time that was!!!

I was a confused kid watching Axl in those biker shorts and then there was this guy on guitar who looked nothing like the guy on the magazines. It was probably my first contact with rock music. I remember fast-forwarding the drum solo every time lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soon said:

7 hours ago, tsinindy said:

You're short-sighted enough to not include a third lineage of fans...those that actually attended performances during this time.

You saw them?! Thats so cool! And once with Izzy? I am so jealous!  But Im curious about one thing:  how would going to shows on that tour preclude one from also being potentially drawn to one of the concert videos over another?

On 2/22/2017 at 0:11 PM, Len Cnut said:

Was the first ever live thing recorded video evidence of rock n roll i ever saw...and I'll be honest, it put me off the shit for years.  It just had none of the zip and drive of the original shit.  Now i think about it it might've even been a contributing factor to my going off Guns n Roses.  when you're that early in your teens and you see this shit you kinda think like 'shit, this is the best rock n roll band and they kinda suck live, they must all be like this'.  It took punk i think for me to really understand the power of live music.

Are you lost? This is the GNR section Lenny..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soon said:

You saw them?! Thats so cool! And once with Izzy? I am so jealous!  But Im curious about one thing:  how would going to shows on that tour preclude one from also being potentially drawn to one of the concert videos over another?

Twice with Izzy actually, back to back nights at Deer Creek.

You're post seems to allude that fans of this band have formed their impression of the band based off either the Tokyo video or the Paris video and that being their initial exposure to the band and the early days of the band.

theres a lot of us who have seen the band in those times, so those videos are just that...videos of orher shows around that time (not an initial exposure to the band).

Just like there's a core of fans who saw them in the clubs in LA or opening for Aerosmith or Maiden or what have you in the late 80s

Edited by tsinindy

My friend got a copy and we all went to watch it at his place after school... I think we were 11 or 12. It was amazing, I had never seen a band run around stage like that... you still barely see that nowadays, I mean some bands move a lot but don't actually run a half marathon in one show.

What stood out for me was Duff singing Attitude. It might have been the first time I heard a punk song... people always talk about the first time hearing punk and what it did to them, and it hit me like a ton of bricks, but in a good way... the energy, the pace, the rawness, the imperfection... I'll never forget that moment.

2004 this vhs was my turning point. First songs which I liked was Civil war and Don't cry. Still wondering why Civil war isn't in youtube. This summer I'm gonna see those three guys on same stage. How cool is that.. 

Edited by Axeli

Quite a boring show compared to other 92 shows. It seems a bit too brave or something. The uncut version is a bit better. Have to say that Rocket Queen from that gig is one of my favorites because it features "it tastes good don't it"

I've watched the full concert more than a hundred times. Love the big stage and seeing AXL running around mad. The moment Japan NITL tour was announced, I immediately booked my flights. And I got the first dvd sleeve autographed by Richard Fortus three days ago in Singapore...a bit wrong though....haha

This show has converted me to be a fan when I was young.

I am so mesmerized by their performance, never seen anything like that before.

It was actually somehow got into my dad's ipod and I used to borrow it a lot and the one in that ipod was only the 2nd part, but I really like Estranged the most...Paradise City too. Slash playing chase with security guys, the flashing lights...

Edited by tifalucis
  • Like 1

Paris 92 may be a better show, performance and soundwise. But Tokyo has a way longer and better setlist. Just think about the songs that were not played in Paris : Nightrain, Preety Tied Up, So Fine, Rocket Queen, Move To The City, Estranged !!! 

In the era of instant access to "superior" shows, it's easy to nitpick this one: too bloated, not a fantastic set-list, not an Izzy show, etc. That being said, it's still a hell of a show, a fairly realistic look at what a show at that time would have sounded like, and - perhaps most importantly - it introduced many younger fans to Guns N' Roses the same way the Greatest Hits album would 12 years later. I had just turned 12 when this came out, and although I knew about Izzy and Steven leaving, this was still my first look at the band playing live. I am sure many people, at least partially due to this concert, still think of Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke when they think of Guns N' Roses. It has been a hot minute since I've watched it, but a few things are etched in my mind as cool little moments. That being said, Sorum's drum solo remains a low-point in the band's history. 

On 2/22/2017 at 5:10 AM, seely said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKw4HWNFN2Y

25 years since the Tokyo' 92 show was filmed (22/02/1992)

Perhaps not their greatest show , but it's still the one real 'official' release of the UYI years that we got...

this is one of my all time faves! love Slash in the Pepe LePew t-shirt. love when Axl coughs *bullsh!t* during Patience. i have this on DVD :)

• Like 1

Still remember the first time I saw it, about 22 years ago. Was the absolute first time Id seen them in any way other than pictures in magazines. I don't remember being particularly impressed.

then i got the ritz 88 show... Then I was impressed.