25 Years of the Tokyo '92 DVD...

Was the first ever live thing recorded video evidence of rock n roll i ever saw...and I'll be honest, it put me off the shit for years.  It just had none of the zip and drive of the original shit.  Now i think about it it might've even been a contributing factor to my going off Guns n Roses.  when you're that early in your teens and you see this shit you kinda think like 'shit, this is the best rock n roll band and they kinda suck live, they must all be like this'.  It took punk i think for me to really understand the power of live music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Was the first ever live thing recorded video evidence of rock n roll i ever saw...and I'll be honest, it put me off the shit for years.  It just had none of the zip and drive of the original shit.  Now i think about it it might've even been a contributing factor to my going off Guns n Roses.  when you're that early in your teens and you see this shit you kinda think like 'shit, this is the best rock n roll band and they kinda suck live, they must all be like this'.  It took punk i think for me to really understand the power of live music.

Seriously!?  Lol. It did the exact opposite for me.  I saw that video and knew right there that I was a "rock guy"

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Fucks sake Leonard. I mean I agree that it's not really a good show. But I don't really think that anybody who's a Sex Pistols fan should be allowed to call another bands live show shit. It's just immoral. 

The one video that did it for me Guns-wise is the Mercury Tribute. That got me hooked. Tokyo was ok, but kind of a letdown compared to the decent-quality alternatives like Ritz 88 or Paris 92. Let alone some '93 shows. 

Edited by username
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Funny you're getting some disagreements for this comment.  But I have to sort of agree. I don't entirely understand why this particular show was released to video? Thank goodness I catched the Paris pay per view show (friends older brother recorded it). But I think I watched the Tokyo show twice or so only. For me "making of the videos" made me a GNR addict so thank goodness for those ??‍???‍?

I got them for christmas when I was 14-15 I think. It quickly became an everyday routine to watch/listen to it. Started every morning with blasting it on the TV while brushing my teeth before school. Before I got the dvds I had only really heard the biggest hits so it was the first time I heard several songs.

24 minutes ago, Mooch14 said:

Seriously!?  Lol. It did the exact opposite for me.  I saw that video and knew right there that I was a "rock guy"

Oh it didn't engender any issues with rock music, just kinda like...knocked me sideways a bit, I expected more.

22 minutes ago, username said:

Fucks sake Leonard. I mean I agree that it's not really a good show. But I don't really think that anybody who's a Sex Pistols fan should be allowed to call another bands live show shit. It's just immoral. 

The one video that did it for me Guns-wise is the Mercury Tribute. That got me hooked. Tokyo was ok, but kind of a letdown compared to the decent-quality alternatives like Ritz 88 or Paris 92. Let alone some '93 shows. 

You gotta remember I was like 11 years old when i was into Guns first, these are like...formative impressions of music I'm talking about...I was expecting it to be like an 80 minute version of the You Could Be Mine video (which i thought was amazing).  But instead it sounded...limp...meandering...un-beefy (i didn't know what overdubs were in those days :lol: ) and then all these little solos in the middle...and Matt Sorum with that fuckin' drum solo, at that age it just don't make sense, it just seems like a load of bollocks.  And the crowd were so fucking naff, it just totally threw me off.  I thought it would be crowds going mental and Axl leaping all over the place singing his guts out to the sounds of Slash going mental....but it wasn't.  See if I'd've seen the Ritz one or the Indiana 91 one it would've made sense...but this just came off as shite.

And as far as The Pistols, their lives shows were BRILLIANT.  It might not have been like...I dunno, Segovias Last Stand but it loud...and the band were snotty and arrogant and sarcastic and confrontational and there's bottles flying all over the fuckin' place and Rotten with his lairy sarcastic comments between songs, it was glorious, it was like coming home...and to this day it retains that power.  I mean you can't compare Axl to that sort of thing, he just came off like a bunch of coregraphed dance moves by a guy with a funny red blazer on.  It's not his fault, bless him, the crowd I suppose need to be more into it for him to get that power into his performance but quite frankly they could never compare to The Pistols in this boys eyes, this bunch of gorgeous tanned Americans with their perfect looks and stage costumes and then you had these gaunt spotty little herberts with an attitude problem, its just more relate-to-able.  At that age i didn't think you could be from England and be cool, everyone on the telly was an American rock band full of guys that looked fresh out of gyms with private jets or else rappers who might as well have been from another planet, cool though they were.  The Pistols though, they had everything.  There will never be another band like that.

I mean how can you compare 'OK, for our next number I'm gonna need your help, when i say 'xxx', you say 'xxx' and we're gonna have a rockin' good time!' to 'you'll get one number and one number only, cuz I'm a lazy bastard!' and 'Okay all you f@ggot cowboys, this is our last number, it's called...' and a full bottle of beer comes sailing out of the crowd and smashes into his teeth, you can't beat that :lol: 

I always thought that Axl voice was overly raspy on some of the songs, especially SCOM in particular.  I know we are all fans of the rasp here however that sounded like Axl was gargling razorblades for a lot of it which makes me cringe to hear.

Slash was on fire though during that performance, the RQ solo he does after the ITGDI? rap is pure class, and the band as a whole sounds pretty tight.  Could do without the 5 hour long Matt Sorum drum solo though lol

I agree with Len, i remember seeing it and thinking where the fuck has my favourite band gone?. As some of said the mix on the guitars sounds is weird, Slash's solos are awesome but the rhythm tracks sound muddled and weak. Axl's vocals are pretty fucking awesome throughout though and his energy is fantastic.

It's the other stuff that really brings it down though, it's GNR at their most bloated. The horn section, Tracy and Roberta and fucking Zig Zag. The venue is a soulless dome and bless em the Japanese have never caused much of a ruckus at a rock show. GNR lost NOTHING to any fucking band as far as r'n'r bad-assery goes when the original line up was tearing around the world and i realize it would have been difficult to ever really capture that with most Illusions shows but talk about a bad choice for a official release. I mean i'm not really the biggest LALD fan but the Wembley version is absolutely crushing and obviously pro shot at an iconic venue without the bells and whistles why not release that show?, if you compare the Toyko version theres a difference.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

I guess this brings up the topic of will we ever see anymore pro shot of that era. Obviously the show i mentioned at Wembley has some quality filmed/sounding footage, we know there's quality footage of the show from the Munich Olympic stadium we've seen it on the Estranged video and then there's Mark Racco's quality film from the Pantages Hollywood 1991 show. Of course there's loads of filmed Illusions shows on youtube but most of it looks and sounds shithouse, the shows i'm referring to look top notch quality wise.

I got the dvds I believe in 2009 or 10, I knew all the songs on Greatest Hits, I didn't know Nightrain, that shit blew me away, the riff, the lyrics, the way Axl belts the "loaded like a freight train, flyin like an aeroplane" after the solo, Slash's solo, damn, the Nightrain solo still my favorite Slash solo and one of my favorites ever