Steven Adler on Eddie Trunk's Show Today

The GnR Central Youtube review of the interview said Steven told Trunk that he tried playing a third song which was Rocket Queen, but the band shut the power off on him when he started. What show was this, and how would he play Rocket Queen when it was already played early in the set? I was at the Cincy and LA shows he was at and he didnt try a third song there...was it Nashville or is it typical Adler crap? 

1 minute ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

How is it not blockbuster? It was the 2nd highest grossing tour of the year..I think?

Sadly, Kiss ran on nostalgia from 1996-2000 with the originals and were playing stadiums, I believe Guns could have a longer run.

No they didn't, they put out Psycho Circus two years after they reunited and then after that they didn't sell out anymore.......

And, it isn't blockbuster as they hardly sold out anywhere except what the four biggest markets in the states (chicago, toronto, LA and New York).  Coldpay is selling out everywhere, the stones the same.....GnR played Foro Del Sol for two nights and I don't think they sold both out, other bands play 4 or 5 nights there.   

4 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

How is it not blockbuster? It was the 2nd highest grossing tour of the year..I think?

Sadly, Kiss ran on nostalgia from 1996-2000 with the originals and were playing stadiums, I believe Guns could have a longer run.

Kiss played Tiger Stadium and Dodger Stadium once each to open tours, but the rest were arenas. The first tour was very successful, but they couldn't do stadiums in every city. They really started struggling after that.

Just now, tsinindy said:

No they didn't, they put out Psycho Circus two years after they reunited and then after that they didn't sell out anymore.......

And, it isn't blockbuster as they hardly sold out anywhere except what the four biggest markets in the states (chicago, toronto, LA and New York).  Coldpay is selling out everywhere, the stones the same.....GnR played Foro Del Sol for two nights and I don't think they sold both out, other bands play 4 or 5 nights there.   

Fair enough, you consider blockbuster to be selling out everywhere.

Playing football stadiums 80% full is still very successful, either way I think the current Guns still have a couple years on this run.

• Like 2

Just now, GoBucky said:

Kiss played Tiger Stadium and Dodger Stadium once each to open tours, but the rest were arenas. The first tour was very successful, but they couldn't do stadiums in every city. They really started struggling after that.

Rogers Centre in Toronto, 4 nights at MSG, River Plate. (very successful in major markets)

13 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Rogers Centre in Toronto, 4 nights at MSG, River Plate. (very successful in major markets)

They did well in big markets on the initial reunion run...believe me, I spent a ton of $ on those tours. I went to 5 shows on Psycho Circus and none were sold out. They just got stale with the same setlist every tour. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

The Stones did two nights at Foro Sol last year, just like GnR did. Roger Waters did two nights. Coldplay did three, but they're a massive mainstream pop band...completely different animal. Guns shows there were sell outs. In this day and age of pop, rap and country filling large places, having a rock back like this filling the majority of the stadiums they played and pulling the money in that they did, I would call it a blockbuster tour for sure. 

Detroit, Nashville, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle and San Diego were all reported  as sell outs,  and don't fall in the 'four biggest markets'. Its cool not to be into it, but throwing false info around isn't going to prove any kind of a point. 

I'm not sure what you are relying on for your info...but for example at Cincinatti, where it was reported that the attendance was 32,516 out of 33,845 is wrong. The capacity isn't correct as I WAS THEREE and the WHOLE UPPER DECK on one side of the stadium was CLOSED and they took seats up off the floor.  There were probaly 10,000 empty seats, not 1000.    

So, whoever is reporting these venues as sold out are fudging numbers.  Same thing happened in Seattle and I know someone that went to Atlanta and there were a lot of open areas there too.  My info isn't false.  I also never said those were the ONLY four sellouts as they sold out Boston on night 1 too that you failed to mention as well as I.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I'm not sure what you are relying on for your info...but for example at Cincinatti, where it was reported that the attendance was 32,516 out of 33,845 is wrong. The capacity isn't correct as I WAS THEREE and the WHOLE UPPER DECK on one side of the stadium was CLOSED and they took seats up off the floor.  There were probaly 10,000 empty seats, not 1000.    

So, whoever is reporting these venues as sold out are fudging numbers.  Same thing happened in Seattle and I know someone that went to Atlanta and there were a lot of open areas there too.  My info isn't false.  I also never said those were the ONLY four sellouts as they sold out Boston on night 1 too that you failed to mention as well as I.

I was also at the Cincy show. The only numbers that matter are the ones released by the promoters, and those numbers are impressive. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoBucky said:

I was also at the Cincy show. The only numbers that matter are the ones released by the promoters, and those numbers are impressive. 

The promoter....who has reason to fudge numbers.  Glad you're impressed, I expected more, but then again at the price point they put on tickets, I can see why the tour under-sold to what I was expecting.  

2 hours ago, cheesecake said:

That's the key word here. Employees. That's the way he likes it. 

Partners OTOH... have the right to voice disagreements on a band's direction and management. 

I'm not sure why I follow this band, maybe because I still have hopes one day things'll change for the better.:facepalm:

This... for some reason these random people want to keep arguing with me though that the band is suddenly a democracy. Slash and Duff either make their money now, go out on a high note with GNR or else nothing.

23 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

This... for some reason these random people want to keep arguing with me though that the band is suddenly a democracy. Slash and Duff either make their money now, go out on a high note with GNR or else nothing.

Funny that back then Slash said (1:10 onwards):

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Maybe they can do another Troubadour show, except at the Roxy. "We're going back to where it ALLLLLL STARTED BABY!!! Except...it only started for 3/5 of us. The other two, who miraculously are still alive, can't be there because they weren't as loyal as Axl's handpicked yes men, even though they weren't there and had nothing to do with Appetite being created or the old band being the bad ass rebels that they were. So, here ya go folks!! Reunion time!!"

Awful...

Well I mean you weren't there and had nothing to do with what is going on behind the scenes however you have already made up your mind that Axl is an evil dictator and Slash/Duff are sellouts with no spine - and based on little actual "factual" evidence

4 hours ago, sidman69 said:

- He only saw Axl for 10 seconds during all the shows he played. He told Axl he loved him and hugged him and didnt get to have real connection time with Axl. 

- Said Frank is a wonderful guy and great drummer. He said he was disappointed standing on the side of the stage watching the guys play. He was disappointed flying 15000 miles to play one song. As you guys know Steven put on a private show at the Roxy in Argentina, he played 3 hours show

- January 2, 2016 and Slash and Duff both texted Steven that they both wanted to get together and talk to him. Steven went to Duff's house and had him sign a contract just so he could talk to them.

- In March he came down to rehearsal and second rehearsal he got a pinched nerve in his lower back. He was only out for 10 days. He was ready to go for the Troubadour show, but Duff told him no you are not going to be part of the show. 
- Literally a day before cincinnati shows Duff called him to come to be part of the Cincinatti and Nashville shows. 

- He said it was not going to be the same as it was 25 years because not having Izzy there and only playing 1-2 songs it was hurtful and heartbreaking for him. Richard is a great guitar play and he think Richard looks like Izzy. 

- Either Australia, Japan or Thailand he said he's not flying that far to only play a couple songs. 

- Steven said he got a couple bucks from the GNR camp. Fernando was covering that. 

- Steven asked why he couldn't play more. HE said he tried playing another song but they turned the sound off. 

- Stage manager Tom Mayhue assigned two songs to Steven. He said he only rehearsed with band at two original rehearsals and it was only Duff and Slash at rehearsal. Only time he had interaction with Melissa and Richard. He said the reason Melissa and Richard fit in is because Axl doesn't want to see anybody. Very nice people, very quiet..

F*ck. A lot worse than what i expected it to be.

What a bunch of assholes. And Axl just meeting Steven for 10 seconds... any other information you need to be sure that this is ONLY about money?

Yup, Slash and Duff joined NuGNR. I can't believe I fell for this crap. Bunch of assholes. If anything, Fernando sounds like the good guy there by agreeing to pay Steven. Doesn't sound like the band could give a fuck.

Doesn't take away from my experiences last year, but as I said in the other Steven thread, I probably won't travel to see them again.

And we will NEVER get a new album

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yup, Slash and Duff joined NuGNR. I can't believe I fell for this crap. Bunch of assholes. If anything, Fernando sounds like the good guy there by agreeing to pay Steven. Doesn't sound like the band could give a fuck.

Doesn't take away from my experiences last year, but as I said in the other Steven thread, I probably won't travel to see them again.

And we will NEVER get a new album

Axl will make an album with Angus or more, Slash will do his year long delayed SMKC album and then we will have the odd GNR show and vegas residency after that. I hope for Slash and Duffs sake they don't continue on with this line up past this year and force Axl to make a change, or I will have lost a lot of respect for them. In my eyes they disrespected and ripped off both Izzy and Steven. At first I was kind of mad at Izzy for not taking part in it for the fans, and I didnt know what was going on with Steven, but now slowly it seems like Izzys side makes a lot of sense, to stay away from this thing the way it went. This is both one of the best and worst times to be a GNR fan, truly..

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

The tour isn't a "blockbuster" success though.  It's a success, but not blockbuster.  Further, this is it.  You get one at it like these based on the past.  Once this run is over this is over or they need a new record or the original 5.  Otherwise they downgrade to arenas for a run, then theaters.   You can't tour on nostalgia alone consistently.  

Sadly, they CAN tour on nostalgia alone for the rest of forever. Look at The Rolling Stones, U2, Aerosmith, ACDC, The Who, Metallica, Van Halen, KISS, etc. Do you think any of those big, stadium/arena bands are selling because of new material? Hell no. All of those artists barely release music and when they do, it is seen as simply a little bonus for die hards. They'll have a lead single played on the radio for a month or two and that's it. No one really cares. GNR (with Axl and Slash) moves them away from at least KISS territory, and into at least permanent Aerosmith  and ACDC territory. If they tour after NITL they are guaranteed at least arenas until they retire or die, and if they wait another 5 years, they could probably sell stadiums (with less dates, cheaper tickets, and maybe another big band). They are officially in legacy, nostalgia mode. Nothing more.

Nostalgia is really all they have left, sadly. GNR isn't really a "band" like we all want to believe. It isn't a group of guys with common beliefs and passion. Its corporate rock to a "T". Big venues, typical merchandise (all big bands now have the overpriced posters, shirts, books, etc by the same company), similar setlists every night (with a few strategic deep cuts for die hards like us and packed with hits), drama kept to a minimum, no more late starts, no interviews... it doesn't mean they aren't good live or don't put on a good show. Hell, I love NITL. Its great, and it'd have been almost perfect with a few new songs and Steven and Izzy but it will NEVER be like the old days. If we ever do get new music, it will be like all those albums released by those other bands. Sure, we might even love it but it will wind up like 13, A Different Kind of Truth, Rock or Bust, Music From Another Dimension, etc. It is what it is.

• Like 2

Edit- I'd also like to say. I would be way more on board with Frank and Richard if Axl really was insistent on forging on with a creative vision. If he felt like they were the best players to put out new music with alongside Duff and Slash and to work on the Chinese leftovers and other new stuff, fine. I'd always prefer Steven and Izzy, but I would understand it more. However, since they are going with the cash- grab route. There is no reason it isn't Steven and Izzy. Just money and Axl.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1