Steven Adler on Eddie Trunk's Show Today

I do feel for Steven, but true to form, he's just going down his usual road of grandstanding to anyone that will listen. 

I mean, the fact he was so quiet in the run up to the reunion, it was blatantly clear they'd had him sign a non disclosure contract coz he can't keep anything to himself. Sadly, this, along with countless other outbursts over the years, has been his ultimate downfall.

At the same time - fair play to Axl. Clearly just doesn't like the guy and doesn't see why he should bust his balls to give him another pay day.

Slash and Duff - I kinda feel like they've sold their souls to the devil on this one. God forbid they fall out with Axl again, but if this reunion ended on bad terms - I'm sure once the dust settled they'd realize they sold Izzy and Steven a little short to keep Axl onside.

The only one that comes out of this with their dignity in check, is Izzy IMO. Doesn't agree with it, see ya later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Music Commercial Voice Guy....

It Is What It Is* - The New Album from Guns N' Roses featuring FOUNDER Axl Rose, CLASSIC members Slash and Duff McKagan, 15 YEARS Richard Fortus, Frank "You can tell it's Brownstone when the chorus hits" Ferrer and Melissa "Follow her on Instagram" Reese

*Album may contain music played by Dizzy Reed

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

I know that I just congratulated him in the other thread, where he first talked about this stuff - but that was before the realisation kicked in that he was going sell this story each time he was interviewed. I know he's saying he's not bitter, and he loves those guys; but to me it sounds like he's just a little bit pissed. 

Adler is one of those guys who just can't help himself. I always think back on the RNRHOF moment, where Adler is jumping around and Slash turns around and puts his hand on him - the jist being "be cool". 

Steven is a great drummer, and for the shows he was asked to attend he should have played more than 1 or 2 songs, but going out on a publicity tour and spilling the beans is definitely the worst plan. I don't know, but it's quite possible that these shows were a tester for Adler "If he does Ok, maybe we'll have do some more on our next tour" and I'm sure the thought crossed Axls mind that "If he starts to act up, get his mother involved, or start mouthing off to me, or to the press, I don't want him around" Just judging the way he talked about Steven in the chats, I think Axl would be a bit more guarded with him and more so than any other member be very reluctant to jump into anything too concrete with him. I know they've all sued each other though, so that shouldn't really be an issue; but that was the impression I got when I read the chats.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 3

So chicken or egg question:  1) Is Steven going to the press now because he's been told he'll never see the stage again with these guys or 2) Are they so sensitive that he's spoken that now he is effectively done from any future involvement with them?

Steven does have a bit of diarrhea mouth, but what he said in these two interviews wasn't so bad.  Who wouldn't be pissed to fly to South America simply to play one song a night?  Who wouldn't be bummed to spend just a few seconds offstage with the lead singer after 26 years away?  Who wouldn't be annoyed to have to stand offstage watching a blue (or is it pink) haired girl bounce around to the songs you helped create.

All this confirms is what we've known for years...Axl is a legendary performer and talent, but his screwed up childhood really messed him up when money, fame and power got added to the mix.  For better or worse, when you sign up as a GNR fan, you are committing yourself to equal parts great music and great drama.  It's been that way since the beginning and it will be that way until the very end.  Quite sadly, I must add.

• Like 1

I wish after Steven met Axl in like... 2007 and talked to him and they worked shit out, that he would've just kept quiet or at least didn't talk shit about Axl at all.

Would have probably helped a lot. But from what we know about Steven, his behavior is understandable. And it seems like he's being left out again. He lashes out like a child. It's just the way he is.

But maybe not the best way to handle it. They could do more to include him, Axl could show some more sympathy to the Popcorn. But he probably labels him as problematic on more than one level.

Axl is satisfied with Frank as Gn'R's drummer and doesn't seem to want Steven around anyway. Gave him to play 1 to 2 songs a show. This didn't turn out so well.

Edited by Rovim

11 minutes ago, PeterNorth said:

So chicken or egg question:  1) Is Steven going to the press now because he's been told he'll never see the stage again with these guys or 2) Are they so sensitive that he's spoken that now he is effectively done from any future involvement with them?

"Well, it was January 2, 2016, and Slash and Duff both texted me and said that they wanted to get together and talk to me. So I went down to Duff's house and we had a nice little talk. They had me sign some contract thing and whatnot just so they could talk to me"

The one year contract to shut Steven is obviously over.
  • Like 1

Over in over again you see in these threads, 'Axl's not gonna like this', 'how's Axl gonna feel?'   Who gives a fuck. Why does everybody have to live their life or adjust their behavior according to what pleases Axl?  

Steven is an original member of this band.  He has every right to say his piece however he wants. And that's all he's doing.  Relating the way he experienced all this. 

As far as him saying he was cut off. How can anyone doubt that? There's video of the first time they cut his second song and you can see clear as day he's shocked. He wouldn't look like that if it had been agreed to beforehand. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frey said:

Yeah well, a lot of the stuff coming out of Steven's mouth doesn't add up and sounds like bullshit. Nothing new, really.

I agree it's time for Axl/Slash/Duff to say something though. Frustrating to only get bits and pieces of information from the least reliable guy out of all of them.

True, I wouldn't wanna hang out with Steven either if I were Axl. And neither do Slash and Duff according to Steven. Which sucks pretty badly for Steven, but it's no surprise Sluff didn't fight very hard for him when they've been treating Steven like the annoying ex-girlfriend they pretend doesn't exist for years.

I'm so glad to see someone else remember all this as well.

He was making a big ordeal about Fernando paying him. Isn't it his job to pay him? Did he expect Axl to hand deliver his check? 

I also tend to agree about him trying to do extra songs. Noone who's attended shows or watched periscopes has mentioned something weird like that happening.

Either way I really doubt Axl will say anything. It took him many years to come on this forum and open up about some of the issues with Slash etc. On top of that, fans still don't take his word anyway, well many. So its kind of damned if he does damned if he doesn't.

I hope this time someone says something Stevens interviews are getting more and more obnoxious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruel Intentions said:

If he releases a straight new album of new material with Duff and Slash and it kills (and it would), everyone will want to give credit to the entire band, which Axl doesn't want. 

You had me till this part.

If Axl thought for one second he could release a critically acclaimed album with Slash and Duff he'd be all over it like a cheap suit

45 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

If Axl thought for one second he could release a critically acclaimed album with Slash and Duff he'd be all over it like a cheap suit

Axl doesn't want the band to take credit? just because he's not "all over" it doesn't mean he doesn't think it has a chance to be critically acclaimed or at least that this line up can deliver.

You guys are way off imo. I assume Axl is busy right now making money with Slash and Duff and doesn't need Izzy and Steven to tour. He might also believe that he can do a Guns album without them.

But who said Axl only cares about one thing? Guns are clearly the main priority, but there are other things to consider and you can't do it all at once. Can't tour and make another Guns album if you're Axl, can't say no to Angus, so it seems the time is now to tour while there is still crazy demand, then go do something else, it could be Guns, taking a break, or doing other projects and only then working on a new album.

They're on touring mode cause it makes sense financially and also is a good thing for the band itself as they go through this long tour together. Doesn't mean Axl has lost interest or doesn't believe they can deliver another Guns album. It could just be Axl might feel it's not the right time right now to go into the studio. It's a money machine until this tour is over. Backwards for now, forward looking maybe when they're less busy making a killing.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Over in over again you see in these threads, 'Axl's not gonna like this', 'how's Axl gonna feel?'   Who gives a fuck. Why does everybody have to live their life or adjust their behavior according to what pleases Axl?  

Steven is an original member of this band.  He has every right to say his piece however he wants. And that's all he's doing.  Relating the way he experienced all this. 

As far as him saying he was cut off. How can anyone doubt that? There's video of the first time they cut his second song and you can see clear as day he's shocked. He wouldn't look like that if it had been agreed to beforehand. 

The point is every time Adler takes shots at the other guys, it hurts his chance of getting back on stage with them. Heck, I was shocked Slash and Duff didn't freeze him out completely after his rants in 2015 where he threw both of them under the bus. 

4 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

He was making a big ordeal about Fernando paying him. Isn't it his job to pay him? Did he expect Axl to hand deliver his check? 

I also tend to agree about him trying to do extra songs. Noone who's attended shows or watched periscopes has mentioned something weird like that happening.

Either way I really doubt Axl will say anything. It took him many years to come on this forum and open up about some of the issues with Slash etc. On top of that, fans still don't take his word anyway, well many. So its kind of damned if he does damned if he doesn't.

I hope this time someone says something Stevens interviews are getting more and more obnoxious.

To be fair I think Steven must have been referring to soundcheck when he tried to play Rocket Queen and got cut off. It's the only thing that makes sense given that his guest spot is always post Rocket Queen. 

Edited by TOS--LOA

11 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

How can you call them pussies for not speaking to the press when they have the song Get in the Ring in their catalogue? I mean it's not exactly new news that Axl and to a lesser extent Duff and Slash do not like the press when it comes to GNR. This is not shocking at all. 

Trust me, I used to be and in a way still understand and feel they have a right to stick with the silent approach.

But, it is kinda cowardly isn't it?  So yah, I called them pussies, for that reason.   Who gives a fuck about "Get in the Ring"?

7 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Simple. He's the boss and he's VERY sensitive.

15 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Trust me, I used to be and in a way still understand and feel they have a right to stick with the silent approach.

But, it is kinda cowardly isn't it?  So yah, I called them pussies, for that reason.   Who gives a fuck about "Get in the Ring"?

My point wasn't that GITR is so cool or badass, it was that if you are wondering why they are silent now you need look no further than songs like GITR and Don't Damn Me. It's been a theme almost since the inception of the band that they collectively feel that the press will twist their words and start shit for exploitation purposes. 

The difference now is they are veteran and established enough that they don't need the press to promote this tour at all. So they've clearly made the decision to let the music do all the talking for them. 

I think it's a bit unfair to call them cowardly for this approach when it's clearly working in that the last year has been drama free. 

I actually respect them more for not taking Steven's bait and abandoning a strategy that's clearly working. 

21 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Modern rock press is all about sensational headlines and click bait. 

Also, GNR want a bit of secrecy and mysticism. You can't have that and still do press. If we had all the answers to all our gnr questions would we be here everyday discussing the band? Doubtful.

7 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

The thing is, Steven lives in a fantasy world where he's always the good guy.

What actually happened. Slash and Duff rejoined GNR. Steven was invited to join them as a guest. He accepted the invite and then shat on them to promote his mother's book.

Yeah, sure man... He waited 25 years to play with them so he could promote his mother's book :facepalm:

What actually happened, he rehearsed a bunch of songs with Slash and Duff that he never got to play with them because they decided against it after he got injured. Now you're free to twist it and say Steven injured himself on purpose to sell more books :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Everyone remembers that and he was totally right, Slash was being a dick to him. He was just inviting him to get have a coffee with him and Slash's answer was "I can't, I'm working" and shit like that. Slash is indeed a workaholic but he's also the guy who was taking care of Lemmy when he was very sick so it wasn't impossible to go have a coffee with his childhood friend ooooonce in a while. If you're being a dick to someone, then don't get mad for being called out.

On whether he was being paid for his guest appearance with GUNS N' ROSES:

Adler: "Oh, yeah. They gave me a couple of bucks. They're good guys with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't hear the interview, don't know about Rocket Queen and all that shit but at the first show in Buenos Aires, Steven was clearly expecting to play a second song and suddenly they turned his lights off and Slash started playing Wish You Were Here. Steven shrugged and threw his drumsticks to the crowd.

• Like 1

Steven is moron.  That's why he's not playing a full show.  He got kicked out for not being able to play the songs in '91, from being fucked up.  The guy is in denial...still.  If you can't see what a delusional moron he is you're delusional yourself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Modern rock press is all about sensational headlines and click bait. 

Also, GNR want a bit of secrecy and mysticism. You can't have that and still do press. If we had all the answers to all our gnr questions would we be here everyday discussing the band? Doubtful.

Yes, we would.  Go look at the Metallica or pearl jam forums.  They have huge numbers and those bands do press and there's little to no secrecy or mysticism involving those bands.

3 minutes ago, trev said:

Steven is moron.  That's why he's not playing a full show.  He got kicked out for not being able to play the songs in '91, from being fucked up.  The guy is in denial...still.  If you can't see what a delusional moron he is you're delusional yourself.

He was fired in 90 so, before you go calling someone a moron that you don't know, maybe get your facts straight at least dumbass.

2 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

I disagree. Axl wants GNR to be his vision or nothing at all. He's proven time and time and time again that he would rather watch the band flame out under his own terms than see Guns succeed as a unit. He has absolutely no reason to release any new music; he's proven for the past decade that he would rather tour and collect millions, and now he's making even more money off this reunion tour than he was with the previous lineup. He has no reason to release anything new at this point. 

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

He was fired in 90 so, before you go calling someone a moron that you don't know, maybe get your facts straight at least dumbass.

90...91...  He's still a moron.  He fucked it up for himself, the band, and the fans.  If he kept his shit straight and didn't fry his brains he'd still be drumming.  He's an unreliable child though and that's why he's not drumming for GnR

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl doesn't want the band to take credit? just because he's not "all over" it doesn't mean he doesn't think it has a chance to be critically acclaimed or at least that this line up can deliver.

You guys are way off imo. I assume Axl is busy right now making money with Slash and Duff and doesn't need Izzy and Steven to tour. He might also believe that he can do a Guns album without them.

But who said Axl only cares about one thing? Guns are clearly the main priority, but there are other things to consider and you can't do it all at once. Can't tour and make another Guns album if you're Axl, can't say no to Angus, so it seems the time is now to tour while there is still crazy demand, then go do something else, it could be Guns, taking a break, or doing other projects and only then working on a new album.

They're on touring mode cause it makes sense financially and also is a good thing for the band itself as they go through this long tour together. Doesn't mean Axl has lost interest or doesn't believe they can deliver another Guns album. It could just be Axl might feel it's not the right time right now to go into the studio. It's a money machine until this tour is over. Backwards for now, forward looking maybe when they're less busy making a killing.

I think you misinterpreted my post