Steven Adler on Eddie Trunk's Show Today

6 minutes ago, trev said:

90...91...  He's still a moron.  He fucked it up for himself, the band, and the fans.  If he kept his shit straight and didn't fry his brains he'd still be drumming.  He's an unreliable child though and that's why he's not drumming for GnR

You tell 'em bud, you obviously have it all figured out.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl doesn't want the band to take credit? just because he's not "all over" it doesn't mean he doesn't think it has a chance to be critically acclaimed or at least that this line up can deliver.

You guys are way off imo. I assume Axl is busy right now making money with Slash and Duff and doesn't need Izzy and Steven to tour. He might also believe that he can do a Guns album without them.

But who said Axl only cares about one thing? Guns are clearly the main priority, but there are other things to consider and you can't do it all at once. Can't tour and make another Guns album if you're Axl, can't say no to Angus, so it seems the time is now to tour while there is still crazy demand, then go do something else, it could be Guns, taking a break, or doing other projects and only then working on a new album.

They're on touring mode cause it makes sense financially and also is a good thing for the band itself as they go through this long tour together. Doesn't mean Axl has lost interest or doesn't believe they can deliver another Guns album. It could just be Axl might feel it's not the right time right now to go into the studio. It's a money machine until this tour is over. Backwards for now, forward looking maybe when they're less busy making a killing.

This idea that they're just touring now and will go into the studio to record after the tour is over is a pipedream. How long have we been hanging onto this hope over the years as the band's lineup has undergone change after change because guys get sick of just playing old stuff over and over again? The touring isn't going to end. When they've gone on hiatus in the past, there's been absolutely zero movement on Axl's part to record anything new. I have no reason to believe anything has changed. 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl doesn't want the band to take credit? just because he's not "all over" it doesn't mean he doesn't think it has a chance to be critically acclaimed or at least that this line up can deliver.

You guys are way off imo. I assume Axl is busy right now making money with Slash and Duff and doesn't need Izzy and Steven to tour. He might also believe that he can do a Guns album without them.

But who said Axl only cares about one thing? Guns are clearly the main priority, but there are other things to consider and you can't do it all at once. Can't tour and make another Guns album if you're Axl, can't say no to Angus, so it seems the time is now to tour while there is still crazy demand, then go do something else, it could be Guns, taking a break, or doing other projects and only then working on a new album.

They're on touring mode cause it makes sense financially and also is a good thing for the band itself as they go through this long tour together. Doesn't mean Axl has lost interest or doesn't believe they can deliver another Guns album. It could just be Axl might feel it's not the right time right now to go into the studio. It's a money machine until this tour is over. Backwards for now, forward looking maybe when they're less busy making a killing.

This idea that they're just touring now and will go into the studio to record after the tour is over is a pipedream. How long have we been hanging onto this hope over the years as the band's lineup has undergone change after change because guys get sick of just playing old stuff over and over again? The touring isn't going to end. When they've gone on hiatus in the past, there's been absolutely zero movement on Axl's part to record anything new. I have no reason to believe anything has changed. 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Something HAS changed, though. Slash is back in the band. That's something the general public has been hounding for since he left two decades ago. It would be unwise for the band not to take up the opportunity to put something out while the newfound buzz is still there. But knowing GNR, they won't be wise. 

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How is speaking what happened throwing them under the bus? If Slash and Duff aren't cool with Steven telling them what they did to him maybe they shouldn't have done it then? Why should they just get away with it and hope Adler won't tell? He has every right to tell Duff doesnt think hes cool or that Slash never wants to hang out.

He does not wanna get back on stage with them unless an AFD5 reunion is going to happen, and that is only going to happen if Izzy and (obviously) Steven are on board. So he's not hurting shit. He has no interest to do guest spots in this half assed reunion.

I'm talking about when he admitted to making a complete jerk of himself on that Japan tour with Duff and then said, "Slash and Duff forget they were addicts too." No Steven, they haven't forgotten. They use it as motivation to stay clean. In my opinion Duff and Slash have been good to Steven considering his antics over time. 

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I know that I just congratulated him in the other thread, where he first talked about this stuff - but that was before the realisation kicked in that he was going sell this story each time he was interviewed. I know he's saying he's not bitter, and he loves those guys; but to me it sounds like he's just a little bit pissed. 

Adler is one of those guys who just can't help himself. I always think back on the RNRHOF moment, where Adler is jumping around and Slash turns around and puts his hand on him - the jist being "be cool". 

Steven is a great drummer, and for the shows he was asked to attend he should have played more than 1 or 2 songs, but going out on a publicity tour and spilling the beans is definitely the worst plan. I don't know, but it's quite possible that these shows were a tester for Adler "If he does Ok, maybe we'll have do some more on our next tour" and I'm sure the thought crossed Axls mind that "If he starts to act up, get his mother involved, or start mouthing off to me, or to the press, I don't want him around" Just judging the way he talked about Steven in the chats, I think Axl would be a bit more guarded with him and more so than any other member be very reluctant to jump into anything too concrete with him. I know they've all sued each other though, so that shouldn't really be an issue; but that was the impression I got when I read the chats.

Of course he is bitter and angry. Why wouldn't he be? He said he dreamed of being part of Guns n' Roses again since he had been kicked out of the band. However, being bitter and angry are useless emotions and do not improve your quality of life. It is clear that he is taking self-improvement seriously and doing what he can to make himself and his life better. He has a ways to go, but doesn't everyone?

8 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Over in over again you see in these threads, 'Axl's not gonna like this', 'how's Axl gonna feel?'   Who gives a fuck. Why does everybody have to live their life or adjust their behavior according to what pleases Axl?  

Steven is an original member of this band.  He has every right to say his piece however he wants. And that's all he's doing.  Relating the way he experienced all this. 

As far as him saying he was cut off. How can anyone doubt that? There's video of the first time they cut his second song and you can see clear as day he's shocked. He wouldn't look like that if it had been agreed to beforehand. 

It is people dealing with reality.

Not to say that Axl won't do things he doesn't like or doesn't feel great about. He will and has in the past, but Axl is pretty much the gatekeeper when it comes to Guns n' Roses. Everything must pass by his judgement.

Izzy, Duff, Slash and Steven set the precedent for this many long years ago when they didn't stand up for each other and what they wanted in the face of whatever Axl's visions were. They'd just bend to what Axl wanted and when it finally got to much for them they left (sans Steven).

They let Axl run all over them when they were equal partners in the band. Now Axl owns the name of the band. It isn't crazy to wonder what Axl thinks/feels about things. He is the gatekeeper. It may be crazy to assume we know or can guess what goes on in his head.

8 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

The thing is, Steven lives in a fantasy world where he's always the good guy.

What actually happened. Slash and Duff rejoined GNR. Steven was invited to join them as a guest. He accepted the invite and then shat on them to promote his mother's book.

I feel this is simplified and harsh.

He accepted the invite because it was his dream to be with GnR again. He is talking about GnR when he should be promoting his mother's book because GnR means a lot to him and people ask him about it. He is not all happy and positive about his experience because it wasn't all positive. The invite turned out not to be what he dreamed it to be.

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Trust me, I used to be and in a way still understand and feel they have a right to stick with the silent approach.

But, it is kinda cowardly isn't it?  So yah, I called them pussies, for that reason.   Who gives a fuck about "Get in the Ring"?

I disagree. I mean, I want them to talk to the media and tell all because I have an insatiable curiosity, but I disagree with all the comments that GnR should be refuting what Izzy is saying on twitter or what Steven is saying to the media. All it will turn into is an eyeroll worthy Twitter Battle or Media War. The media likes to make big deals out of nothing. They lose nuance and can completely twist what someone meant when they start tossing quotes up out of context and copying each others stories. I think it could only hurt them as it would drag this stuff out and make it into something that it is not. Right now only a very few music blogs report on GnR's doings and fan forums who care about it. 

Sure they could get more exposure with it, but is more exposure worth what it would do to the real people dynamics that are involved? That is something they would have to evaluated and decide for themselves as it is themselves who are affected.

To one person someone is a coward, to another that person is being judicious. To one person someone is a being brave, to another that person is stupid.

2 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Of course he is bitter and angry. Why wouldn't he be? He said he dreamed of being part of Guns n' Roses again since he had been kicked out of the band. However, being bitter and angry are useless emotions and do not improve your quality of life. It is clear that he is taking self-improvement seriously and doing what he can to make himself and his life better. He has a ways to go, but doesn't everyone?

It is people dealing with reality.

Not to say that Axl won't do things he doesn't like or doesn't feel great about. He will and has in the past, but Axl is pretty much the gatekeeper when it comes to Guns n' Roses. Everything must pass by his judgement.

Izzy, Duff, Slash and Steven set the precedent for this many long years ago when they didn't stand up for each other and what they wanted in the face of whatever Axl's visions were. They'd just bend to what Axl wanted and when it finally got to much for them they left (sans Steven).

They let Axl run all over them when they were equal partners in the band. Now Axl owns the name of the band. It isn't crazy to wonder what Axl thinks/feels about things. He is the gatekeeper. It may be crazy to assume we know or can guess what goes on in his head.

I feel this is simplified and harsh.

He accepted the invite because it was his dream to be with GnR again. He is talking about GnR when he should be promoting his mother's book because GnR means a lot to him and people ask him about it. He is not all happy and positive about his experience because it wasn't all positive. The invite turned out not to be what he dreamed it to be.

I disagree. I mean, I want them to talk to the media and tell all because I have an insatiable curiosity, but I disagree with all the comments that GnR should be refuting what Izzy is saying on twitter or what Steven is saying to the media. All it will turn into is an eyeroll worthy Twitter Battle or Media War. The media likes to make big deals out of nothing. They lose nuance and can completely twist what someone meant when they start tossing quotes up out of context and copying each others stories. I think it could only hurt them as it would drag this stuff out and make it into something that it is not. Right now only a very few music blogs report on GnR's doings and fan forums who care about it. 

Sure they could get more exposure with it, but is more exposure worth what it would do to the real people dynamics that are involved? That is something they would have to evaluated and decide for themselves as it is themselves who are affected.

To one person someone is a coward, to another that person is being judicious. To one person someone is a being brave, to another that person is stupid.

You didn't read what I said.  I didn't say they should talk to the media specifically to refute what others said...I simply said I feel that is cowardly that they don't do press.  That's just my opinion, and you can disagree with all you want.  No problem with that.  Just don't tell me you disagree then bastardize what I said.

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

You didn't read what I said.  I didn't say they should talk to the media specifically to refute what others said...I simply said I feel that is cowardly that they don't do press.  That's just my opinion, and you can disagree with all you want.  No problem with that.  Just don't tell me you disagree then bastardize what I said.

Your comment was in a long line of comments about how they should talk to the media. I was replying to all of them as well as your comment. Let me edit it so it is only a response to what you said:

The media likes to make big deals out of nothing. They lose nuance and can completely twist what someone meant when they start tossing quotes up out of context and copying each others stories. They could get more exposure by doing a bunch of media dates, but is more exposure worth what it would do to the real people dynamics that are involved? That is something they would have to evaluated and decide for themselves as it is themselves who are affected.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Your comment was in a long line of comments about how they should talk to the media. I was replying to all of them as well as your comment. Let me edit it so it is only a response to what you said:

The media likes to make big deals out of nothing. They lose nuance and can completely twist what someone meant when they start tossing quotes up out of context and copying each others stories. They could get more exposure by doing a bunch of media dates, but is more exposure worth what it would do to the real people dynamics that are involved? That is something they would have to evaluated and decide for themselves as it is themselves who are affected.

I think using words like "the media" is a generalization. Look Steven didn't do any interview with Rolling Stone Magazing or with Mick Wall. He did either phone or in studio interviews on radio shows. You can listen to every word he says. I don't see how that can be twisted. Axl and Duff did a T.V. interview. Although it was previously recorded you saw Axl fucking up the answer about Izzy and Duff dodging the question about an album. Duff changed the subject to his teen-age daughters and how the youth these days listen music. That's not really answering the question. Well it was their own fault. Nobody can blame the t.v. show. The thing is Axl and Duff couldn't answer a few things. Because it wouldn't look nice to say they didn't want to split the loot with Izzy. And they didn't want to say they are not making any album because it is a lot more profitable to keep the tour going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, we would.  Go look at the Metallica or pearl jam forums.  They have huge numbers and those bands do press and there's little to no secrecy or mysticism involving those bands.

He was fired in 90 so, before you go calling someone a moron that you don't know, maybe get your facts straight at least dumbass.

Well that's true, but sometimes you wish they did just a little less press. Do I really need to know the ingredients in Lars's pancakes!? Potentially delicious but, no.

I see your point, but I don't think guns ate avoiding press because of awkward questions. I think they just prefer not yo do press, because it's a pain in the are and they can shift tickets with or without doing interviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Nobody can blame the t.v. show. The thing is Axl and Duff couldn't answer a few things. Because it wouldn't look nice to say they didn't want to split the loot with Izzy. And they didn't want to say they are not making any album because it is a lot more profitable to keep the tour going.

Or maybe because the situation is really complicated and explaining all of that behind the scenes stuff is just a complex situation they didn't want to get into during that interview?  I know for me I don't like making assumptions based on stuff I don't know, and during that interview the reunion tour was still fairly recently underway so it makes total perfect sense for a new album not to be made at that point in time.

What you said could be true - or it could not.  We simply do not know so for me at least personally I find it a waste of time to lay blame on one side or another

3 hours ago, Padme said:

I think using words like "the media" is a generalization. Look Steven didn't do any interview with Rolling Stone Magazing or with Mick Wall. He did either phone or in studio interviews on radio shows. You can listen to every word he says. I don't see how that can be twisted. Axl and Duff did a T.V. interview. Although it was previously recorded you saw Axl fucking up the answer about Izzy and Duff dodging the question about an album. Duff changed the subject to his teen-age daughters and how the youth these days listen music. That's not really answering the question. Well it was their own fault. Nobody can blame the t.v. show. The thing is Axl and Duff couldn't answer a few things. Because it wouldn't look nice to say they didn't want to split the loot with Izzy. And they didn't want to say they are not making any album because it is a lot more profitable to keep the tour going.

Sure you will listen to the interview and yes I will listen to the interview but the majority of people? They'll just read the attention grabbing headline for the article that is based on the interview that shows up on their favourite news feed. People who like or hate GnR may actually go one step farther and click on the headline and read it. Not many will go listen to the interview itself.

I'd bet that there are people on this forum who have not listened to it.

33 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Or maybe because the situation is really complicated and explaining all of that behind the scenes stuff is just a complex situation they didn't want to get into during that interview?  I know for me I don't like making assumptions based on stuff I don't know, and during that interview the reunion tour was still fairly recently underway so it makes total perfect sense for a new album not to be made at that point in time.

What you said could be true - or it could not.  We simply do not know so for me at least personally I find it a waste of time to lay blame on one side or another

I just gave a couple of examples about not making the media the scapegoat. That's all

2 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Sure you will listen to the interview and yes I will listen to the interview but the majority of people? They'll just read the attention grabbing headline for the article that is based on the interview that shows up on their favourite news feed. People who like or hate GnR may actually go one step farther and click on the headline and read it. Not many will go listen to the interview itself.

I'd bet that there are people on this forum who have not listened to it.

If people don't bother to listen that's their problem. It is unfair to say the media twisted things around when you can listen or watch a whole interview.

Back in February Trunk nailed it. Think it's time the conversation moved on from "the original 5" to something that is little more likely i.e more touring, greatest hits records, a few new songs being released, or even some older UYI songs being added back into rotation.

Personally I'd love to see Steven up there in some capacity, he's got a great energy and its just fun to watch a performer who has a smile right across his face for an entire show. HOWEVER, Im still excited and eager to see this current band, and just like the other times I've seen guns without classic members, I have a good feeling that I'll enjoy the show, because 1. Axl can hold a crowd, with or without classic members 2. Duff and Slash are two of favourite musicians, and I've not seen them live as a package yet. 3. Seeing Axl and Slash beside each other, regardless of the situation is still incredible. ALL of which are the selling points of this current tour in the eyes of fans, fare-weather fans, promoters, management, Band etc. 

You know that story at the start of Hellboy II about man being created with a whole it's in heart that nothing can fill - That's GnR fans. We have Slash and Axl talking, AND performing together and we're upset, because we didn't get the ultimate dream scenario of all 5. Sometimes you have to step back and just say "this is pretty cool as it is". Again, I don't take away from the idea of all 5 or even a UYI line up semi-reunion being VERY cool! Who doesn't want to hear Teddy zig zag knocking out Bad obsession! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Padme said:

If people don't bother to listen that's their problem. It is unfair to say the media twisted things around when you can listen or watch a whole interview.

Yes... it is Guns n' Roses problem if the majority of the people don't listen to what they actually say and instead go off of attention seeking headlines.

This was never promoted as anything more than what it is. We have always known we are getting Axl, Slash, Duff and company. Izzy or Steven were never promoted.

Since I've known all along I'm not that upset.

I find it interesting he said he rehearsed with Slash and Duff only. Likely they would he the deciding factor on what they felt he could do or whatever.

When Izzy joined GnR for that tour some years back he did several songs for more shows. I bet Steven could have done the same.

As I said before I think Steven ruined trust with them and showed his true colors to them right now. Their possible mistrust in him now has foundation. Perhaps they wanted to see how much they could trust him as I said before. 

He also showed a lack of respect when he showed up when he knew he wasn't scheduled and thought he could just play anyway. They put him up to play a song despite him not being scheduled and he tried to play more than he was scheduled. Though many may not see it that is a lack of respect. I bet that's why he only ended up with one song the next night. You don't show up and demand to play just because your wives family is there. He admitted he wasn't scheduled until the second night why would he try to just walk on stage? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Yes... it is Guns n' Roses problem if the majority of the people don't listen to what they actually say and instead go off of attention seeking headlines.

What? If you have the opportunity to listen a whole interview but you decide to read some headline elsewhere, that's up to you. You can't blame Eddie Trunk nor the media in general

41 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

And what is the big paranoia about misinterpretation/misquoting about anyway?  They're a rock band. What's the big deal? Every other band seems to be able to cope with the press.

Because the guy calling all the shots is a hypersensitive person, that's why.