Steven Adler on Eddie Trunk's Show Today

1 hour ago, blackrose87 said:

Wow really feel for Steven. He was totally burned by the other guys. You can hear he's biting his tongue in the hope they come back to him and offer him something else.

It's really sad and must be excruciatingly difficult for him after doing everything right and keeping  quiet for over a year. Being a good soldier only to be undercutted last minute. After practicing for over a year. Think about that for a minute. So dirty!

1 hour ago, blackrose87 said:

Wow really feel for Steven. He was totally burned by the other guys. You can hear he's biting his tongue in the hope they come back to him and offer him something else.

Yes, it really feels quite weird that he was watching when Frank plays AFD songs. :shrugs:

2 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Bullshit
They didn't want to split the loot equally . Simple as that . Moving right along……..

His exact tweet

If only it was as simple as us fans pretending like we know the discussions that went on behind the scenes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

It's really sad and must be excruciatingly difficult for him after doing everything right and keeping  quiet for over a year. Being a good soldier only to be undercutted last minute. After practicing for over a year. Think about that for a minute. So dirty!

Adler said that Slash and Duff contacted him on 2/1/2016, so who had told him to practice for over a year and be quiet?

In fact he did that interview with Eddie Trunk back in September 2015. He was quiet for a year (2016) because he was on contract (and having his guest spots).

He probably had learned from a third party that an Axl and Slash reunion was in the works, so he decided by himself to start practising. Nobody asked him to do so...

• Like 2

Less stress for others if Frank only plays the drums. And less excitement for the fans... I don't know. A good interview would be great. So much speculations going on. Good that even Steven is speaking something. At some point others need to say something too.

1 hour ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Adler said that Slash and Duff contacted him on 2/1/2016, so who had told him to practice for over a year and be quiet?

In fact he did that interview with Eddie Trunk back in September 2015. He was quiet for a year (2016) because he was on contract (and having his guest spots).

He probably had learned from a third party that an Axl and Slash reunion was in the works, so he decided by himself to start practising. Nobody asked him to do so...

The chronology and what he said that was settled on what he would play does not match. All this shitty is a giant puzzle with some rotten pieces!

20 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Imagine that? I'd love to see him to more if not all but 5 songs would be pretty awesome... What 5 would you guys pick?

Rocket Queen
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
Out Ta Get Me
Think About You

There are a ton more but if I had to pick 5 that would be close to it

Perfect list of songs for Steven to play. Get this to GNR management, ASAP. I'm going to two shows in September???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

If only it was as simple as us fans pretending like we know the discussions that went on behind the scenes

True. And it's hard to say what equal means as everyone has their own definition. Equal to Izzy could mean split 5 ways. Equal to Axl could mean being supportive to people who've helped or been around the band for the past 10-20 years. Or he's found a comfortable touring routine that can easily adapt with Slash and Duff sliding in and stadium touring beginning and it works better a certain way based off personality.

I really don't know how it works but I imagine at that level of music the business end of it must be a nightmare.

Sometimes I like to think about things as if I were a kid.

What If you were in 1st grade and you and your friend got famous for your sand castle building skills? Everyone is school knows you guys and loves the work. But he quits the team in the 3rd grade. You carry on and even get a new builder to help, in spite of criticism.

In 4th grade they said your friend was the real sandbox builder. You just wanted to get trendy and build them next to the ocean or make Victorian style designs with that new weird kid that wears the bucket on his head. People missed the simplicity of the old sand castles that you used to build in that playground that's half cat shit at the back of the field. 

5th grade they begin appreciating your more "arty" structures, at least the vision. I mean you've made it a whole grade without him by that point. Street cred at least. But it just wasn't the same as those 1st grade designs for so many. Perhaps unfairly though as so much change happens throughout life. How can I, a compentant 6th grader today, reverse course to return to the juvenile designs of my youth?

its quite vexing.

So now in 6th grade, Your friend is back and wants you to forget about what you worked on in 3rd, 4th and 5th. You guys have a chance at touring the elementary schools showcasing your talent. But then the old friend said let's just get back to the good old days of 1st-3rd grade, no bullshit.

Yet your most proud piece came in 4th/5th. 

What would you do?

45 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I think Stevens has been played, the band and management must have known that as soon as rumours of a regrouping/rehash/reunion (whatever), got going the first person to shoot their mouth off would be Steven if he wasn't censored.

I don't know how much damage Steven potentially could have caused by stating from the start that he and Izzy were not in on the initial talks, and that Fortus and Frank would be playing with Axl, Duff and Slash. I am sure nobody was willing to take the risk. A lot of money was riding on those first shows being successful, didn't Coachella want the exclusive reveal that Axl and Slash would be sharing the stage? It was all marketed ambiguously nobody came straight out and said "reunion" but it wasn't made clear Izzy and Steven were not involved either. Instead Izzy did that on Twitter and guess what; Steven who was most likely to do an exposé was kept quiet because he was under contract, believing he would get to play his songs.

So why give him the dates he did play? I think Steven realised he had been duped and a potential law suit wouldn't keep him quiet, it's not in his nature.(I love him for that). So to keep image intact ahead of rolling out a world tour he gets a phone call two days ahead of being asked to play. How bad could it be? Added bonus, It now looks like there might be 4/5 of the original line up playing at future shows.

I know I am being very cynical, and please go ahead and debunk my theory- it would make me feel heaps better, but I have no explanations for why Steven was asked to sign that contract if they did really want his involvement, other than to exert some control over him.

An explanation I can think of is that everyone who was going to be involved in this or was in talks had to sign that non-disclosure/gag contract (the guys in Axl's band, maybe even Slash/Axl/Duff themselves signed a similar thing) and it wasn't exclusive to Steven. Wasn't Pitman fired after he posted about Coachella before it was officially announced? (although most likely it wasn't the main reason he was fired).

Izzy probably refused to sign and Duff (as he seems to be the one who handles these things on behalf of the three) didn't push it on him knowing that Izzy doesn't talk anyway. Or he signed it (less likely), but since the negotiations failed and he wasn't involved, the contract wasn't effective anymore.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Not necessarily. Based on what @Eddie Money said (including that the tour wasn't planned yet when the negotiations with Izzy took place, so the talk was only about the April shows), it seems that Fortus and Frank would be there regardless. Most likely Izzy was offered guest spots for those shows and he said "either I'm fully in with equal share or nothing". Or maybe he was offered a full time gig, but as part of a three guitarists lineup and with less money than Axl/Slash/Duff, and he refused. But since we don't have any other information except for this source and Izzy's tweet, it's all speculation at this point.

As for how the thing was promoted, the truth is that it was never marketed as anything more than the threeunion. It's a reunion (Axl called it such in China Exchange) of the 1993 band (its three core members* with different "additional musicians" who "happened" to have been in NuGnR), i.e. of the last lineup that the majority of the public considered "real" GnR. Of course we fans were hoping for a proper reunion of the original band, but the marketing wasn't misleading.

*Oh, and poor Dizzy - always forgetting him, lol

Great post. Disagree on the bolded -- I remember the Vegas threads here with no one having any idea who was in the lineup. I certainly didn't -- up till the last minute, many of us expected Izzy there given that he was on good terms with everyone. They purposely obfuscated that in the marketing to avoid any press/fan scrutiny and sucker in fans who were drawing their own conclusions on the band lineup based on the ambiguous ads. The marketing for this tour was really good (aside from the bone headed decision not to do any press interviews) -- they made the right call to not publicly announce the lineup. Perhaps negotiations fell through with Izzy at the last moment and they left the marketing open ended in case things worked out -- who knows. 

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I find it hard to believe Duff, a guy who very much admires Izzy and even worked with in 2015, would only offer him "a couple of songs" at the first reunion shows. That's fucking silly. Slash would never agree to that either, he has preached for years he would only do it with all 5 guys and for the right reasons. And then he'd backstab Izzy by choosing Fortus over Izzy? Yeah no. Of course Fortus would be there because Slash can't do the pitch pedal stuff for the CD solo, and Fortus would be able to play rhythm on all other CD songs aswell, I can see that. I can even see that they might have wanted Frank fulltime because with Steven they just wouldn't trust him. The rest is just fucking silly IMHO.

Hate to say it but I think we've been duped by Duff and Slash's amazing PR over the years. Given what we know, it would seem that those two have been willing participants in throwing Izzy (and Steven) under the bus. Duff in particular may have played a bigger role in this than we know since apparently he was the one who called Steven to let him know he'd be out of the Troubador gig. There was also a rumor here some months back that he was pissed that Izzy wanted to be paid equally. Only time will tell how it really went down but Duff and Slash look like ruthless businessmen given what we know.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

I remember them avoiding the word reunion, using regrouping instead. 

The problem with the AFD5 is that it would have to be equal loot. 

The partnership will favor the big 3. Izzy was offered less money for the Illusion tour. Steven didn't even play the Illusion tour or any big tour. So business wise they are fucked. 

Someone has to put together the AFD5 offer. If the promoters double the money. 5 mil a show. Or fans pay 600 dollars a show. 

1 hour ago, Archtop said:

I think Stevens has been played, the band and management must have known that as soon as rumours of a regrouping/rehash/reunion (whatever), got going the first person to shoot their mouth off would be Steven if he wasn't censored.

I don't know how much damage Steven potentially could have caused by stating from the start that he and Izzy were not in on the initial talks, and that Fortus and Frank would be playing with Axl, Duff and Slash. I am sure nobody was willing to take the risk. A lot of money was riding on those first shows being successful, didn't Coachella want the exclusive reveal that Axl and Slash would be sharing the stage? It was all marketed ambiguously nobody came straight out and said "reunion" but it wasn't made clear Izzy and Steven were not involved either. Instead Izzy did that on Twitter and guess what; Steven who was most likely to do an exposé was kept quiet because he was under contract, believing he would get to play his songs.

So why give him the dates he did play? I think Steven realised he had been duped and a potential law suit wouldn't keep him quiet, it's not in his nature.(I love him for that). So to keep image intact ahead of rolling out a world tour he gets a phone call two days ahead of being asked to play. How bad could it be? Added bonus, It now looks like there might be 4/5 of the original line up playing at future shows.

I know I am being very cynical, and please go ahead and debunk my theory- it would make me feel heaps better, but I have no explanations for why Steven was asked to sign that contract if they didn't really want his involvement, other than to exert some control over him.

1. Didn't we know from the beginning that Duff will be in the band? If Stradlin and Adler were to have a big role in the shows, we would have learned it from the very first announcement. It would be extremely dumb to have the AFD5 and not market it as such. But there was no Steven or Izzy in any vid they published.
  2. If they wanted only to silence Adler and that was the only reason for getting him at those shows, then his injury would have been the perfect opportunity for them to get rid of him once and for all (he had already signed the contract).
  3. You say "So why give him the dates he did play? I think Steven realised he had been duped and a potential law suit wouldn't keep him quiet". But everyone knew that Izzy and Steven was out by the time Steven did his first show. Cincinnati was the 13th show of the tour (and of course Izzy had already made that tweet). So what would they have to lose? They even got him to play in Argentina.
  4. The decision to not give any interviews applied to all of them and not only to Steven. Maybe to avoid akward situations.
  5. The NITL tour has proven that the casual fans (who are the big majority of the crowd at each show) care mainly for Axl and Slash (and Duff maybe)...
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Disagree on the bolded -- I remember the Vegas threads here with no one having any idea who was in the lineup. I certainly didn't -- up till the last minute, many of us expected Izzy there given that he was on good terms with everyone. They purposely obfuscated that in the marketing to avoid any press/fan scrutiny and sucker in fans who were drawing their own conclusions on the band lineup based on the ambiguous ads. The marketing for this tour was really good (aside from the bone headed decision not to do any press interviews) -- they made the right call to not publicly announce the lineup. Perhaps negotiations fell through with Izzy at the last moment and they left the marketing open ended in case things worked out -- who knows. 

That was pure speculation from the fans though not based on anything solid, just driven from the excitement of the moment. The fact that the very first official announcement (about Coachella) in early January had only the three names in it said already a lot; to the least it said that the thing was set by Axl/Slash/Duff and everyone else was questionable. Then in all the promoting clips, like the one posted above, it was only A/S/D again. Then, in early March, there was Izzy's tweet that he wouldn't be involved and the confirmation about the authenticity of the twitter account. Apparently, and from what we know now, there were negotiations with Izzy until at least February.

11 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Its particualrly dirty form Slash and Duff. With Axl you kind of expect it. Relationship there is non existant more or less given how he said they intereacted with each other when he played with them.
Okay with Stevens track record I can understand the guys relucatance to give him the sole no.1 drum spot for a world tour but he definitely deserved more than he was getting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Archtop said:

I know I am being very cynical, and please go ahead and debunk my theory- it would make me feel heaps better, but I have no explanations for why Steven was asked to sign that contract if they didn't really want his involvement, other than to exert some control over him.

Wow....very interesting.  I didn't think of this angle.  But damn, makes a lot of sense actually.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Archtop said:

I really don't think this is the super secret devious evil plot people are making it out to be. 

They could have done this without him entirely and there are completely understandable reasons for it. Maybe they threw him a bone because they knew it'd crush him if he were left out completely? Or maybe they threw him a bone because they knew it would crush him if he were left out completely AND to avoid having him cast a negative cloud over it with the media tour he'd do complaining about it? There's probably some legal frame work covering everyone in the band right now. Any contract Adler had to sign was likely to make it clear what his involvement would be to him and to protect the band if he felt entitled to more. Ie, "you're going to make this much per show and being with the band doesn't mean you're a member of the band".

Adler's a wild card. Who's to say letting him play a few songs wouldn't make him think he's back in the band or should be back in the band or was promised he'd be back in the band and try to sue them again if he's not? Given the history of the band having everything laid out in writing beforehand is just smart business.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:
  1. Didn't we know from the beginning that Duff will be in the band? If Stradlin and Adler were to have a big role in the shows, we would have learned it from the very first announcement. It would be extremely dumb to have the AFD5 and not market it as such. But there was no Steven or Izzy in any vid they published.
  2. If they wanted only to silence Adler and that was the only reason for getting him at those shows, then his injury would have been the perfect opportunity for them to get rid of him once and for all (he had already signed the contract).
  3. You say "So why give him the dates he did play? I think Steven realised he had been duped and a potential law suit wouldn't keep him quiet". But everyone knew that Izzy and Steven was out by the time Steven did his first show. Cincinnati was the 13th show of the tour (and of course Izzy had already made that tweet). So what would they have to lose? They even got him to play in Argentina.
  4. The decision to not give any interviews applied to all of them and not only to Steven. Maybe to avoid akward situations.
  5. The NITL tour has proven that the casual fans (who are the big majority of the crowd at each show) care mainly for Axl and Slash (and Duff maybe)...

I think they just don't want to talk about the personal issues/relationships within the band publicly. During that Axl/Duff interview, when Axl's asked if he felt everyone had to change over the years to make the reunion work today Duff jumps in to answer it and starts talking about Chinese Democracy. Whatever was said between Axl/Slash/Duff to make amends (or at least agree to appear so publicly) isn't something they want to talk about.

• Like 1