IMDB message boards done

JONEZY

messages are gone, Hallelujah! they had descended into such a harborer of mean spirited, vitriol spewing, attacks by weak little trolls. i went there to be supportive and to praise the actors writers, directors, producers and others only to be met by cruel, vicious keyboard villains! the classic movies were the last to go so since they got taken owner i split, never to return!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 2/22/2017 at 6:34 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

messages are gone, Hallelujah! they had descended into such a harborer of mean spirited, vitriol spewing, attacks by weak little trolls. i went there to be supportive and to praise the actors writers, directors, producers and others only to be met by cruel, vicious keyboard villains! the classic movies were the last to go so since they got taken owner i split, never to return!

See, I hate when people say stuff like this, because it's just...not accurate.

I've been a member of IMDb since 2001, back when Col Needham (the site's founder) and I used to swap private messages, when they bragged they had "over 1 million visitors per month" at the top of their pages. I'm not even an old-timer compared to some people -- I think the site's been around since the early '90s -- but it was my home on the Internet, the first message board I ever used, and I had so many great discussions and learned a lot about discourse and conversation through that site. Honestly. I think engaging with people through that site, most of them older (I was 12 when I first registered), really helped inform me as a person and helped encourage me to write and dig deeper into movies.

Yeah, towards the end, there were a lot of trolls. I stopped posting on the main forums many years ago, because it got a little pointless for me. I felt like the personalities changed and I lost a lot of my "friends" over time, plus I got older and had more of a social life. But you know what I did continue using? The title-specific forums. They were an invaluable resource for film fans. Any time I watched a movie over the last few years, particularly if it was a film I had a strong reaction to, I would flock to the forums to see what people were saying about it. The fact that there was a message board for every single title in existence was just amazing, and the fact that you could watch an older film that time has forgotten - the kind of film the trolls won't be going to the forums for because no one's there - and go chat with the few other people who had seen it and wanted to discuss it was an essential part of my experience as a film fan. 

I guess there's Reddit now, but it's just not the same. And people who say IMDb was infested with trolls were the people looking at forums for movies like Batman v Superman or whatever, and honestly, all IMDb needed to do was hire a few moderators to continually monitor the 100 most popular forums on the site. They didn't, because Amazon owns IMDb and now that they are so heavily involved in film production, they probably didn't want to seem to be associated with a website where people can openly talk shit on, say, Jennifer Lawrence or whatever. So because they focused on the minority of trolls behaving like assholes, they eradicated one of the best resources for film discussion on the Internet, if not the best. 

• Like 4

I don't know, man, every time I went there I found 9/10 posts to be shitposts.

Like I said, blu-ray.com gets the job done for me when it comes to movie/TV discussions, though people there can be very pretentious at times which gets tiresome.

So when people on this board fail me in a decent discussion, or when people like @Len Cnut shitpost, I just go there. :)

47 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Like I said, blu-ray.com gets the job done for me when it comes to movie/TV discussions, though people there can be very pretentious at times which gets tiresome.

So when people on this board fail me in a decent discussion, or when people like @Len Cnut shitpost, I just go there. :)

Shitposters Consolidated, how many i help oooo? :D

3 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

See, I hate when people say stuff like this, because it's just...not accurate.

I've been a member of IMDb since 2001, back when Col Needham (the site's founder) and I used to swap private messages, when they bragged they had "over 1 million visitors per month" at the top of their pages. I'm not even an old-timer compared to some people -- I think the site's been around since the early '90s -- but it was my home on the Internet, the first message board I ever used, and I had so many great discussions and learned a lot about discourse and conversation through that site. Honestly. I think engaging with people through that site, most of them older (I was 12 when I first registered), really helped inform me as a person and helped encourage me to write and dig deeper into movies.

Yeah, towards the end, there were a lot of trolls. I stopped posting on the main forums many years ago, because it got a little pointless for me. I felt like the personalities changed and I lost a lot of my "friends" over time, plus I got older and had more of a social life. But you know what I did continue using? The title-specific forums. They were an invaluable resource for film fans. Any time I watched a movie over the last few years, particularly if it was a film I had a strong reaction to, I would flock to the forums to see what people were saying about it. The fact that there was a message board for every single title in existence was just amazing, and the fact that you could watch an older film that time has forgotten - the kind of film the trolls won't be going to the forums for because no one's there - and go chat with the few other people who had seen it and wanted to discuss it was an essential part of my experience as a film fan. 

I guess there's Reddit now, but it's just not the same. And people who say IMDb was infested with trolls were the people looking at forums for movies like Batman v Superman or whatever, and honestly, all IMDb needed to do was hire a few moderators to continually monitor the 100 most popular forums on the site. They didn't, because Amazon owns IMDb and now that they are so heavily involved in film production, they probably didn't want to seem to be associated with a website where people can openly talk shit on, say, Jennifer Lawrence or whatever. So because they focused on the minority of trolls behaving like assholes, they eradicated one of the best resources for film discussion on the Internet, if not the best. 

what i was referring to was the forum board and i stand  behind that. it became just a place to fight, to denigrate actors,  directors etc etc etc. as an example there was a nutjob who posted on the American Idol board and each season he had his favorite and every time someone had a different opinion he would a throw a tantrum but using adult swear words and saying he hoped people would DIE. no matter how many people reported him he kept coming back. and there were people like that everywhere! it was very negative. the rest was useful and i will miss a lot of it. but in the end the trolls ruined it all. js...

8 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

But you know what I did continue using? The title-specific forums. They were an invaluable resource for film fans. Any time I watched a movie over the last few years, particularly if it was a film I had a strong reaction to, I would flock to the forums to see what people were saying about it. The fact that there was a message board for every single title in existence was just amazing, and the fact that you could watch an older film that time has forgotten - the kind of film the trolls won't be going to the forums for because no one's there - and go chat with the few other people who had seen it and wanted to discuss it was an essential part of my experience as a film fan. 

Your whole post was brilliant. However this paragraph I've quoted nails it for me and describes how I feel and my usage of their boards. I never even bothered posting there, but you've hit the nail on the head with you post and this particular paragraph resonates with me. 

I'll miss it, and will need to find something similar. Was a good source of reading and "time out" for me :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

last thoughts on the IMDB MESSAGE BOARD section. good riddance to people always asking if such and such actor was gay and no matter if the actor was married for 20 years with 8 kids certain people still saying they were gay. same goes to people who said certain actors were fat, ugly, too short, too old, etc etc etc! and finally to all those really messed up sickos who'd post after an actor died saying they were happy, they deserved it, or the always NOT funny Jack Nichoson warned them! end of rant :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 7:45 PM, Black Sabbath said:

"theres nothing wrong with the blu-ray, your screen is just not calibrated right" :lol: