Is Axl Rose the greatest singer of all time?

Yes I know, greatness and talent is subjective blah, blah blah. But you can't deny his ferociousness. I Love Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant gives me chills. Steven Tyler will always be the Demon of Screamin' and Jeff Tate has that amazing vibrato but fuck! When Axl is on his "A" game he is the shit! He can belt notes several times in one song that Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson are famous for at will (and with brutal rasp). His stage presence is fucking insane and he has some of the best back catalogue of music today. Plus! He's also fronting AC/DC where he's an absolute animal. And let's not forget that he has Slash backing him iiii]; )' Is Axl not the greatest front man in the world? When you consider his bands status and popularity, his stage presence, his genuinity, his vocal ability and his historical significance, I think he is. By a fucking long shot, especially in today's musical climate. But what do you guys think?

The thing about this question is that there is no real measurement, what is taken into consideration, impact on musical climate, how good the albums are, vocal skill only, range? There is a good chance there are people out there that are some of the greatest singers but they just haven't discovered their talent or never got famous. There is no answer to this question

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

His inability to release new songs prevent him to be that legendary.
Some wrote timeless and flawless songs throughout their whole careers. Axl's entire body of work is tainted by the fact he released only fifteen songs the past twenty-five years such as Scraped and Riad N' The Bedouins.

Quick reminder:

4 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Some wrote timeless and flawless songs throughout their whole careers. Axl's entire body of work is tainted by the fact he released only fifteen songs the past twenty-five years such as Scraped and Riad N' The Bedouins.

Quick reminder:

I would agree, but I love almost every thing he has been on, including Sebastian's album. I almost feel like no matter how many times he changes his sound or people hired by him I fucking love it. 

25 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Quick reminder:

?

• Like 1

Axl might be the most versatile singer of all time. His range can go toe to toe with anyone, he could have existed in any genre of music and been successful. 

Idk I hate to say best ever Bc everyone likes different things, but he had a great ear for music and I'd cite his covers as evidence of that. He made almost every cover they did as good or better than the original and could stay true to the original while being original. 

Again his voice could reach any level, I'd love to have heard him sing more material in his prime. His natural acoustic voice is pure and grabs your attention from the start. He's really unbelievable as a singer and I think what gets lost in this argument is there will never be another Axl Rose...nobody can replicate that voice. It's completely unique and I think that if you use that argument next to his vocal range it could be argued he's the best of all time. I doubt many will agree but the evidence is there 

just steals the show. Amazing 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlexC said:

Yes I know, greatness and talent is subjective blah, blah blah. But you can't deny his ferociousness. I Love Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant gives me chills. Steven Tyler will always be the Demon of Screamin' and Jeff Tate has that amazing vibrato but fuck! When Axl is on his "A" game he is the shit! He can belt notes several times in one song that Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson are famous for at will (and with brutal rasp). His stage presence is fucking insane and he has some of the best back catalogue of music today. Plus! He's also fronting AC/DC where he's an absolute animal. And let's not forget that he has Slash backing him iiii]; )' Is Axl not the greatest front man in the world? When you consider his bands status and popularity, his stage presence, his genuinity, his vocal ability and his historical significance, I think he is. By a fucking long shot, especially in today's musical climate. But what do you guys think?

No Freddie Mercury is. 

Axl is a very unique talent and a throwback as an artist. He is the purest artist I have ever witnessed. He has incredible vision, too. He puts blood, sweat, and tears into his art and I can feel that in his expression. He doesn't compromise his art. These and many more reasons is why I believe Axl is the best frontman of all time, but at the same time I believe ranking musicians and alltime/greatests list detract from the potency of the artist and are untlimatley absurd. A lot of people mimic or imitate the greats. But, nobody can imitate Axl. He is coming from a different place as an artist and a human being.

• Like 1

NO.  The greatest singers of all time were amazing and consistent. Axl was never consistent and often times sounded like ass live.  You could make a better case for him being the greatest frontman of all time but he is most definitely NOT the greatest singer of all time. 

14 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

He is the purest artist I have ever witnessed. 

:blink:

6 hours ago, AlexC said:

Axl Rose is not the greatest frontman in 2017. Of all time maybe, but not today. 

2 hours ago, magnumpi said:

Well I read it but I don't know how anyone can seriously suggest Axl is a better singer than plant or mercury.

As far as stage presence at their peak plant and page as a duo defined stage presence

Axl is more talented than Robert plant. Musically and lyrically. Has more stage presence, too. And a force to reckoned with performing live. Some of Robert plants solo albums are emabrrisng.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bono said:

NO.  The greatest singers of all time were amazing and consistent. Axl was never consistent and often times sounded like ass live.  You could make a better case for him being the greatest frontman of all time but he is most definitely NOT the greatest singer of all time. 

:blink:

Well, Axl introduced me to U2 and that changed the course of my life. I could never thank Axl enough for opening me up to U2 and Bono. His words on U2 and the song One are what I consider a pure expression. 

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Quick reminder:

I agree Rhiad and to some extent Scraped really are blights on his catalogue, but we still don't know what happen with CD. It appears to be an incomplete work. And the song Rhiad has some deep personal connection to Axl.