Is Axl Rose the greatest singer of all time?

20 hours ago, magnumpi said:

Never heard of Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, or Roger Daltrey?

And personal I like John lennon and Jim Morrison's voices better

Axl is one of the best rock singers, but yeah, there are so many. Too many to name. Rock has always had amazing and one of a kind singers, since the 1950's and 1960's until present day.

If you have your own special sound that's what makes or breaks a rock band.

For me personally I never thought Axl sounded "great" live .I've seen Guns n Roses live 7 times over the years ,5 times during afd/uyi years and twice recently .While I thought he sounded passable to good recently I also think some of us have a little revisionist history when we talk about their prime years .I for one was never blown away by his voice live .He has always been somewhat inconsistent (like most rock and roll singers live )to my ears .As a frontman while highly energetic at times manic on stage I still prefer someone who engages with the crowd more then he does at live shows .Eddie Vedder ,Bono and Bruce Dickinson are 3 guys who I think are better frontman :singers just off the top of my head of people I've seen live in the last couple of years .

• Like 1

I don't know about greatest singer ever, but for me he might have the best rock voice. It sounds good over rock music. That's one reason AXL/DC is so good, his voice just goes great with that type of music. His singing on AFD is hard to fuck with.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I don't know about greatest singer ever, but for me he might have the best rock voice. It sounds good over rock music. That's one reason AXL/DC is so good, his voice just goes great with that type of music. His singing on AFD is hard to fuck with.

Agreed.

Not the greatest ever though.

On 2/22/2017 at 7:33 PM, AlexC said:

Yes I know, greatness and talent is subjective blah, blah blah. But you can't deny his ferociousness. I Love Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant gives me chills. Steven Tyler will always be the Demon of Screamin' and Jeff Tate has that amazing vibrato but fuck! When Axl is on his "A" game he is the shit! He can belt notes several times in one song that Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickinson are famous for at will (and with brutal rasp). His stage presence is fucking insane and he has some of the best back catalogue of music today. Plus! He's also fronting AC/DC where he's an absolute animal. And let's not forget that he has Slash backing him iiii]; )' Is Axl not the greatest front man in the world? When you consider his bands status and popularity, his stage presence, his genuinity, his vocal ability and his historical significance, I think he is. By a fucking long shot, especially in today's musical climate. But what do you guys think?

greatest singer ever and greatest front man in the world 1986-1991

fucking sad since 1992

Edited by ludurigan

For me he's the best rock singer of all time. I just have to watch Paris -92 Ritz-88 Chicago-92 couple of the skin n bones shows and some new ones and the answer is crystal clear. Despite listening to Axl singing since I was 5 (1993) i still get the chills. His stage presence,his power,his ability to really live trough the lyrics when performing (if that explanation makes sense) in his "peak" I would say no one could touch him. His eyes burns with anger and energy. He was born to perform. And Axl is the only person i can think of that no one can do a cover of. That voice can't be duplicated.

And as a side note (if someone cares) I can somewhat relate to his personality.. and I would thank him alot for his music and lyrics if I someday would meet him. Helped me trough some heavy shit. 

But there's lots lots of great singers out there. Both in the past and present. I don't just listen to rock music.. there's some great female singers out there too. Alisha keyes for example. Great voice.

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apollo said:

But here is Axl in his prime. His vocals are absolutely terrible.

I liked that quality of Axl's voice in which you never knew what you were going to get vocally. His vocals for this entire show were off. but, yeah, for m the up downs of his vocals during th illusion tour are something i enjoy.

14 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I liked that quality of Axl's voice in which you never knew what you were going to get vocally. His vocals for this entire show were off. but, yeah, for m the up downs of his vocals during th illusion tour are something i enjoy.

just so I'm not misunderstanding what you posted....you are saying you enjoy going to a show and having the singer's voice not be very good that night?  Do you just enjoy that for Axl or do you enjoy shows where other singers are having off nights? To each their own - if that's your thing, more power to ya!!!  It's just such a fascinating thing to hear somebody say. I'm in my 40s and I don't think I've ever heard somebody say that before. That's why I'm curious if you just feel that way about Axl or about all singers?

Just with Axl, and only during the Illusion tour. I enjoyed his voice from that tour even when it was very rough, it  had a quality that I appreciate. There was an honesty to his performances from that tour that resonates with me personally. Im fine with his live voice now, but I would never listen to bootlegs or even a DVD recording of the present tour. 

He isn't the greatest singer no. What Axl is, is unique. The brass balled bastard made a fortune by just being his own self.  Coming from bumfuck nowhere and dominating the Sunset Strip, GNR would have gone nowhere fast without Axls insane voice. That's the truth otherwise none of us would be here, remember people were still interested in "GNR"even when Slash and Duff weren't in the band.. I think Axl is a man worthy of respect.

Come to think of it, I really think we put too much on the guy. He is the best currently active rock singer, but remember he's just a dude. Things like "HES WAY BETTER WITH ACADACA THAN GNR" etc. give the guy a break. He already worked hard when he was young. I swear if you worked half as hard at your job as Axl did in the AFD days you'd be millionaire by now.

Edited by GonzoThesaurus

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

You are comparing this performance To Axl in his prime? Lol. Your ducking retarded.

Shut up Miser :lol:

And uh, in case i was unclear i wasnt comparing, i was outright stating that Iggy, of any era, on the worst night of his life is better than the best Axl ever, point blank, with no hesitation, nowhere near as original, as energetic, as intelligent, as feral and as influential a musician as Iggy Pop.  The absolute best GnR album does not hold a candy to either of the three Stooges albums (three Stooges album, aha, genius :lol: ).

Edited by Len Cnut

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

I know, but not really. Freddie just sort of stands above it all. He's untouchable, like Elvis...

Then...your answer is no lol

2 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I don't know about being the greatest, but he is in my top 3 with Steven Tyler and Scott Weiland.

That's your top 3?   wow lol