Is Axl Rose the greatest singer of all time?

4 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

The thing about Axl is that he's just so unique as a singer. I wouldn't say he's "the best." There are probably many better technical singers. But he's such an individual talent - that rasp, the way he sings certain things, the little idiosyncratic flourishes like the "ayee-ee-aye" or "whoaa-oh-ohhhh" type stuff....you know, you hear that and you immediately know it's Axl, and there really aren't many singers out there that sound the same as him. 

There are none :headbang:

Edited by estranged_85

On February 27, 2017 at 7:48 AM, tremolo said:

I said Axl IS a very mediocre singer.

Yes, in the past he delivered some good vocals on AFD, Lies, and UYI. What stands out the most is the variety of styles... he could sing beautiful mellow melodies like on Patience, or display a nasal tone on songs like Mr. Brownstone, hit highs at the end of Rocket Queen, deliver long sustains like on Don't Cry and pierce your fucking skull with songs like Perfect Crime.

BUT that's all in the past. He never polished his craft, and although he was never GREAT, he had an immense potential that ended up being wasted. It's very sad that he never reached his full potential. If he had trained his voice in the same way that any accomplished guitarist/basist/pianist/drumer/violinist polishes his technique, he would be an incredible singer today, but it's not the case.

He was never great, but he was good and had lots of potential. It's a shame that he decided to not give a fuck to the point that some of his performances have been pathetic and disrespectful to the fans.

Nailed it.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:51 PM, ZoSoRose said:

My vote goes to Robert Plant. Love Axl, and think he's a great rock singer and one of the best frontmen, but Plant is top overall. Plant's voice ages almost perfectly, too

I was wondering the other day if Plant was any sort of influence on Axl's decision to sing cleaner in the more recent years? Plant's register was pretty vast.  I don't know what happened on No Quarter but I think his voice was part of the reason that song scared me  so much as a kid. Maybe there's nothing to what I'm saying.

46 minutes ago, Sprite said:

I was wondering the other day if Plant was any sort of influence on Axl's decision to sing cleaner in the more recent years? Plant's register was pretty vast.  I don't know what happened on No Quarter but I think his voice was part of the reason that song scared me  so much as a kid. Maybe there's nothing to what I'm saying.

Quite possibly and remember, Plant was his introduction to Rock, so that would make sense in that way actually.