Top 10 Bands That Released Two Amazing Albums in the Same Year

auad

This list definitely skews towards the hard rock side of things. Some other good ones:

Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and The Basement Tapes (1975)

Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead and American Beauty (1970)

Neil Young's Tonight's the Night and Zuma (1975)

Van Morrison's Moondance and His Band and the Street Choir (1970)

Bruce Springsteen's Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (1973)

David Bowie's Low and "Heroes" (1977)

There are probably a lot of good ones that came after the 70's, but at this point the time between album releases started to increase it seems like and I'm just not as familiar with album release dates off the top of my head after this point. I'd actually be interested in seeing someone list some more recent ones.

• Like 2

They're just talking about a calendar year, plus bands back in the day would also record non-album singles to have something coming out every few months for radio. It also depended on the length of their tours. Led Zeppelin worked on II on different studios while on tour. 

You also had some bands that had signed to different record labels with their old label still releasing "new" albums. 

Zappa's Apostrophe & Overnite Sensation were released 6 months apart but were recorded at the same time. He also released Sheik Yerbouti & Joe's Garage within the same calendar year. 

The Doors s/t and Strange Days were within a year. 

The Beatles had also released Help & Rubber Soul in the same year, and you're always going to have Beatle fans divided on which was the better year. 

Dylan Highway 61 Revisited  & Bringing It All Back Home. 

Bowie didn't just work on Low and Heroes, he also worked on Iggy's The Idiot & Lust For Life. 

CCR - 3 albums - Bayou Country, Willie and the Poor Boys, & Green River - should have been in the top 5. 

The jazz, funk and fusion world was a little different - they could knock out an album in less than a week and have a second albums' worth of material finished in that time. James Brown had 4-5 albums out within a year. George Clinton in the 70s had an insane amount of music out there under different names and record labels. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The Beatles released two albums a year for almost their whole career...same with The Stones from 64 to 67.

The Beatles were a once in a lifetime band.

5 hours ago, J Dog said:

Johnny Cash did it a lot.

Pac - All Eyez on Me and Makaveli

Pac will still be releasing music 10 years from now.

I agree but not cuz of the frequency of releases, that was the industry standard in them days, if you didn't get at the very least an album out a year then you were considered slacking and risked fading into irrelevance, like J pointed out Cash did it, Bob Dylan kept up a one a year average over a long period, The Kinks did about one album a year from 1964 to 1989, those guys that a different kinda work ethic in those days.  

Y'know what i worked out once, this kinda blew my mind a bit.  Jimi Hendrix first picked up a guitar at about 12 yrs old, he died when he was 27, that means he was alive and playing guitar, from first learning to his peak for about 15 years...so he picked it up, learnt, made his bones, made it big, dropped three stone cold classic albums on us, changed the fuckin' music world, became arguably the greatest guitarist in the history of popular music, became an icon of international repute, shagged just about anything on two legs that was a bird that was up for it, done a SHITLOAD of fuckin' drugs and made a mark to where we're here some almost 50 years since his passing sitting here talking about him...all that in less time than it took Axl to record and release Chinese Democracy :lol: And remember this guy started off from serious social disadvantages too.

10 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Bowie didn't just work on Low and Heroes, he also worked on Iggy's The Idiot & Lust For Life. 

Thats what happens when you mix genius with cocaine, Bowie was whizzin' off his tits by all accounts :lol:  Sun Ra, i bet that mad bastard put out more than one in one year at some points.  

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

many bands did 2 albums a year back in the day

Thin Lizzy Jailbreak & Johhny the Fox

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath & Paranoid

Led Zeppelin- I & II

Mountain- Nantucket Sleighride & Flowers of Evil

Free- Tons of Sobs & Free and the next year Fire and Water & Highway

Ten Years After did it twice

Humble Pie

Johnny Winter

Sly and the Family Stone

Uriah Heep 

19 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Pac will still be releasing music 10 years from now.

Naw.. until the end of time, and only the first disc was the last thing that held my interest. You might get a verse here and there, but with a shit beat and the verse itself being subpar.. I think the material is pretty dried up by now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drtydane said:

Naw.. until the end of time, and only the first disc was the last thing that held my interest. You might get a verse here and there, but with a shit beat and the verse itself being subpar.. I think the material is pretty dried up by now. 

See thats the bit that fucked with me, why change the fuckin beat?!?  I stopped listenin' after Better Days basically...and even that i only heard that once through.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drtydane said:

that was a joke...like he kept releasing muisc after he died?

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that was a joke...like he kept releasing muisc after he died?

You're probably still right, i bet theres someone over at Jive Records going 'we found some old footage of Pac rehearsin' for In Living Color, why with some well placed edits and a few Khaled beat we got ourselves a remix album right here' :lol:

YOU N!GGAZ MADE A MISTAKE, YOU SHOULDA NEVER PUT MY RHYMES WITH...uh, Rosie Perez? 

Rosie nasal voice:  Paaaaac, you're so stoooooooped

:lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You're probably still right, i bet theres someone over at Jive Records going 'we found some old footage of Pac rehearsin' for In Living Color, why with some well placed edits and a few Khaled beat we got ourselves a remix album right here' :lol:

YOU N!GGAZ MADE A MISTAKE, YOU SHOULDA NEVER PUT MY RHYMES WITH...uh, Rosie Perez? 

Rosie nasal voice:  Paaaaac, you're so stoooooooped

:lol:

??im dying bro

Until the End of Time is the last Pac album anyone needs to fuck with. And that's not even 100% all original but it's close enough.

I wanna say Jack White needs to be mentioned here. I'm sure between the White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, and his solo stuff that he's had multiple things going on in a year.

• Like 1