12-16-2010 to 10-02-2011

17 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Who "becomes" a GNR fan in the year 2017?  If they aren't on board by now, I don't think they're gonna be.

I became a GNR fan in mid-2015. Reunion talk and hype caught my attention so I looked up some songs and got hooked. I'm 17 so I'm proof that it's never too late for young people to become fans. 

• Like 1

2009 and 2010 were amazing, I think Axl was more like "you didnt see me since a couples of years, Im back now, I ain't dead yet and Im going to proove it" he for sure did, by blowing our minds off
When he did "TWAT" in Tapei in 2009, it was just woaw or "Nice Boys" 2009/2010 version is just crazy.
And there is 2011, where he probably just says to himself "well fvck it, I did what I had to do, rasp is now off"

Still think he had surgery...if someone would ask him directly what happened between this time period he'd probably say. But Axl is very secretive about his voice and so it was a shock to me when he mentioned trying to make his voice clearer in the Chinese Exchange interview.  

I remember an interview where he alluded to this time in his life as being one of the worst. Or maybe it was in those unconfirmed emails in which he was going to fire everyone/disband/ or bring Duff back 

9 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I remember an interview where he alluded to this time in his life as being one of the worst. Or maybe it was in those unconfirmed emails in which he was going to fire everyone/disband/ or bring Duff back 

I don't remember that kind of an interview, so it must've been some uncorfimed stuff.

11 hours ago, Fanboy said:

2009 and 2010 were amazing, I think Axl was more like "you didnt see me since a couples of years, Im back now, I ain't dead yet and Im going to proove it" he for sure did, by blowing our minds off
When he did "TWAT" in Tapei in 2009, it was just woaw or "Nice Boys" 2009/2010 version is just crazy.
And there is 2011, where he probably just says to himself "well fvck it, I did what I had to do, rasp is now off"

I wonder sometimes if not being able to release CD II in 2010 kind of made him say fuck it. Even that Reading show where they pulled the plug or Dublin. Maybe to be rasp he needs to get prepared. But being on time is more important. I've never read a review where they say Axl can't sing, but being late was a running story/joke. I mean they were still having fun 2011-14 but that outlaw fire was gone. Maybe it was like mission complete. 

Axl is really hard to gauge. I personally think the vocal change was something between personal preference and fear of vocal damage. I mean, to be 50 somethin' playing nearly 3 hours a night is hard enough, but trying to deliver power on every single song is a formidable task.

We know he can tear it up on Jungle - or any songs that are near the beginning of the show - so maybe it's just his way of ensuring himself some vocal sustainability. I dunno.

5 hours ago, wasted said:

I wonder sometimes if not being able to release CD II in 2010 kind of made him say fuck it.

Yeah, it's like when you are motivated to do something, you are giving 110% of yourself for it, but someone just cut you right off telling you can't do it or whatever. It's over you probably wont be that motivated ever again or it will take time

There was a long article on some forum which was supposedly from his voice coach or something like that. The person said Axl had surgery of vocal chords before the 2011 touring year started. So that would make sense. Anyway, I can't assess its credibility, and also the article disappeared quickly, as somebody didn't like it apparently. It may have been at htgth.

Edited by jamillos

He can still sound like 2010, he just turns it on and off.  I always felt this way dating back to the 2001 comeback.  Look at the ACDC shows.  He was motivated to help his hero Angus.  In 2010, he was motivated to promote his magnum opus Chinese Democracy.  He's a passionate guy who does what he wants and loses that passion when his mood is shaken.  He's bored with Guns.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jamillos said:

There was a long article on some forum which was supposedly from his voice coach or something like that. The person said Axl had surgery of vocal chords before the 2011 touring year started. So that would make sense. Anyway, I can't assess its credibility, and also the article disappeared quickly, as somebody didn't like it apparently. It may have been at htgth.

I remember something like that.. But that was some random vocal coach from South America or something? can't remember where i've read it though... And he had only some theories about what COULD be the answer to his vocal change. I doubt Axl's own vocal coach would talk openly about his voice in media. 

9 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

I remember something like that.. But that was some random vocal coach from South America or something? can't remember where i've read it though... And he had only some theories about what COULD be the answer to his vocal change. I doubt Axl's own vocal coach would talk openly about his voice in media. 

Possibly. A former / short-term coach maybe. It would definitely make sense, because the difference is blatant.