VR On Stern 2004

amazing interview. thank you for that. its ironic how scott said he would never touch heroin again, which he did.

he said he wanted VR to be the last band he was known for and end his carrear with - almost true

and how he completely changed his life for good and kicked the habit and ended up od.ing which is so sad and tragic.

But yeah i guess we really cant see into the future and can only speak for today. Which makes slash and duffs comments on the gnr reunion more in context with what they were dealing with at the time. same can be said for axl's harsh words towards slash. 

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I read somewhere that Duff relapsed during this time on some kind of prescription pills and was addicted and Slash was drinking a lot too for the first time since the heart defibrillator thing. Interesting era

"I was so fucking stressed out with all this shit," says McKagan, 43. "I couldn't go fucking talk to my guitar player like I used to." McKagan is sitting in his guesthouse, whichis whimsically decorated with memo­rabilia from his Guns n' Roses career (plat­inum plaques, a G n' R pinball machine, a vintage Duff portrait painted by a Japa­nese fan), and pictures of his wife, Susan Holmes, a former swimsuit model. Out­side, it's a sparkling L.A. morning in the up-scale neighborhood of Sherman Oaks, where the couple and their two preteen daughters live on the former estate of Western star Tom Mix.

McKagan had suffered from a panic disorder for years, and he always carried a bot­tle of Xanax with him on the road, just in case. One day, he opened it. " 'I'm going to just take one of these, it's going to chill me out,' " he remembers. "Next day: 'Oh, one doesn't feel like it did yesterday, I guess I'll take two.' " Before long, he was taking twenty-two milligrams a day of the sedative —— more than three times the usual dose. He headed to Narcotics Anonymous meetings, and then to a rehab facility. Kicking Xanax, it turns out, was harder than heroin. "I think I needed to go through that again," says McKagan. A martial-arts devotee since getting sober, he is fearsomely fit - still framed by long blond hair, his face looks more like the Duff skull on the cover ofAppetite for Destruction than it does the partied'out puffiness of Guns n' Roses' heyday. "I'd been sober for twelve and a half years at that point," he continues. "And I thought, 'I'm good.' I'm not good, I'm a fucking junkie, and I'm an alcoholic."

Sorum, the only unmarried member of the band, was partying too hard, and ended up in the same rehab facility as McKagan. Slash was gobbling painkillers to the point where he was nodding off in rehearsals. "There was just a lot of negative shit going on," Slash says. "Some of it was band stuff, some of it was home stuff, it was a lot of shit, and I went on a little fuckin' OxyContin binge for, like, two or three months, and I had a set date to go into rehab," he adds, sip­ping iced tea in a Burbank Mexican restau­rant.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/appetite-for-destruction-20070809

• Like 4

I always get the sense that Sorum never understood the depth of Axl's problems where as you can see Slash and Duff freeze up when Axl is brought in. 

Sorum is like "what's the big deal the guy is an as*hole" 

but you see Slash and Duff lost for words in a way that one would be when someone laughs at someone with a serious issue. It's like "yea we hate the guy for breaking the band up but I'm not going to say what I feel bc it would just be wrong..." they know him too well in a sense and they understand there's some deep personal issues that rehab can't fix. 

Basically saying "screw the guy but when you make fun of his voice, his hair, his new face..." you're laughing at a guy with something wrong with him and I just don't think any of it made Slash or Duff feel better about the breakup. 

Part of all that though was they had a new band and Sorum and the guys just wanted it to be about their new band nothing old. 

All in the past now. The guys couldn't be in a better place in their lives at this point. Whatever issues were there were healed by time 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2017 at 10:06 PM, xBrownstonex said:

Yes, so funny that people may change their opinions after 12 years. God forbid you still do the same shit you did 12 years ago

grow up.

Wasn't even 12 years. Slash turned up at Axl's house the next year allegedly drunk and threw VR under the buss. Their were denials, then eventually Slash admitted that he did go to Axl's house (he denied that he called Weiland a fraud and Duff spineless though).

On 2/28/2017 at 3:55 AM, AtariLegend said:

Wasn't even 12 years. Slash turned up at Axl's house the next year allegedly drunk and threw VR under the buss. Their were denials, then eventually Slash admitted that he did go to Axl's house (he denied that he called Weiland a fraud and Duff spineless though).

See, Duff seems like the kind of guy who wants to get along with everyone and tries to see everyone's point of view....which I can see as coming off as "spineless" so I believe that's something Slash would have said.