Percussion instruments in GN'R music

Axl seems to be a fan of those instruments. Me either, if they add something to the sound.

I really like the congas on songs like WTTJ or Mr. Brownstone. And also the tambourine in the pre-2016 version of Don't Cry

What do you think about this instruments?

Edited by Sosso

Funny you should mention this, because I was thinking today about a percussion sound on "Anything Goes" that I've always wondered about - during the opening riff you can hear a sort of scraping sound, which I am guessing is a 'Guiro'?

It's a great addition I think, gives the song's intro that extra slidey scrapey sleazy sound!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Güiro

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Funny you should mention this, because I was thinking today about a percussion sound on "Anything Goes" that I've always wondered about - during the opening riff you can hear a sort of scraping sound, which I am guessing is a 'Guiro'?

It's a great addition I think, gives the song's intro that extra slidey scrapey sleazy sound!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Güiro

Yeah, it's definitly a Guiro. That song would be a nice setlist surprise at the current tour by the way.

I like it on some tracks, definitely Brownstone.  Often live I cant hear Dizzy's percussion on other tracks - sometimes gives me chuckle, poor Dizzy.  

I've read/heard both Matt Sorum and Dizzy mention how Matt had a deal with Zilldian and when he saw Dizzy just sitting there during songs with no piano he dragged over some percussion instruments to Dizzy so he'd have something to do.  Dizzy said he learned from that day on how to play them.  So, in some cases Dizzy is only playing since Matt asked him to I guess?  

Teddy Zig Zag really knew how to rock the tambourine too!

Just did a quick search for quotes. Not the best example here and not expansive but heres at least a reference to this fact, and hopefully I can, or others can, find the specific quotes:

"With encouragement from GNR 2.0 drummer Matt Sorum, Reed also developed into an auxiliary percussionist..." 

Read More: Dizzy Reed 101: Everything You Need to Know About Guns N' Roses' Keyboardist | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-dizzy-reed/?trackback=tsmclip

The HUB: You’re also a percussionist and I gather that has to do with making yourself useful on songs that don’t lend themselves to a keyboard part.

Dizzy Reed: That’s exactly it. When I joined Guns N’ Roses, some of the guys weren’t ready to hear keyboards yet. At that time I was doing what I always wanted to do: I was keeping it very organic-sounding—something you really couldn’t do in the ‘80s. They thought it made things sound “dated.”

Matt Sorum, the drummer at the time, he had a deal with LP [Latin Percussion] at the time, and they brought down some congas and he said ‘Here,’ and put them in my corner. I started just beating on them and basically taught myself how to do that in a very short period of time. I definitely wanted to add something to the music. But I didn’t want to just be like a monkey beating on a drum. So I listened to a lot of older rock that had percussion on it and tried to emulate that. I worked on fitting it in where it would serve some sort of purpose.

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/artist-interviews/artist-interview-guns-n-roses-dizzy-reed

Dizzy conga is more clear in pro shot tho, Tokyo DVD RQ is one example. If there's somehow NITL official DVD released, i bet it will be subtly listenable again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me who plays these maracas during the concerts? I always see them in that corner of the stage but I have no idea who uses them.

Edited by Sosso

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 08/04/2017 at 6:14 PM, Sosso said:

Can someone tell me who plays these maracas during the concerts? I always see them in that corner of the stage but I have no idea who uses them.

its tracy (roberta's friend)

she sits under axl piano and plays it on several songs during the 3 and a half hour set

(it adds a fine touch to slither if you ask me!)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Can someone tell me if there is a guide or something of how to play percussion instruments to GN'Rs music? Thanks

Some TABs have a percussion layer. For example Rocket Queen "Live Era" on Songsterr

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Sosso said:

I can't remember what song but Axl played them for sure during the beginning of one song at the Miami show this year.  I think it was one of the AFD songs.  My memory isn't perfect but Axl definitely played them.