The inspiration for 'Civil War'?

I have previously read somewhere on this forum that part of the inspiration for 'Civil War' was derived from an interaction between Axl and a friend or relative of Erin Everly (I seem to recall) who was involved in the arms trade which was fuelling a war somewhere in the world at the time. Can anyone shed any light on this please? Sounds very interesting.

yea, true

i was re-listening to my bootleg collection and i came across a 91 show, cant remember which one, and Axl ranted about that song specifially

Erin's relative dealt guns. He asked Axl to write a song about it. Write how lame it is to fight wars. so Axl did

1 hour ago, Spaghetti Guy said:

3:27

Interesting how he refers to him as "a friend" in this clip.  A complicated world to inhabit where someone who creates war asks you to write a song denouncing war, which you do, for your friend the war monger. 

I remember a clip of Matt Sorum talking about how Axl wanted to fund a militia somewhere in South America.  I guess we know who's idea that must have been. :facepalm:

Ok so I found this Axl quote, apparently from an 'unapproved CD booklet': -

"Riad is the name my one time momentary brother-in-law of Erin Everly went by when I knew him. Of part Lebanese descent and a former student of Pepperdine University he claims to be an international arms dealer, billionaire with ambitions of being “King of the World”. He claims to fund several medical organizations and underground Nazi organizations around the world who says his heroes are Napoleon and Adolph Hitler. He claims his most prized asset is his anonymity. He also claims to be an expert in military strategy and was the inspiration for the Guns song Civil War which was written per his request for a song how “people were stupid and he could and he could sell them anything because people love to kill each other.” He also claims to be an expert in global finance and money laundering living tax free in Belair last I was aware and claiming to launder monies for wealthy individuals in several countries predominantly Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, with ties to the Bush/Reagan administrations and wherever there’s a war in the world at any given moment." 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Nice Boy said:

Ok so I found this Axl quote, apparently from an 'unapproved CD booklet': -

"Riad is the name my one time momentary brother-in-law of Erin Everly went by when I knew him. Of part Lebanese descent and a former student of Pepperdine University he claims to be an international arms dealer, billionaire with ambitions of being “King of the World”. He claims to fund several medical organizations and underground Nazi organizations around the world who says his heroes are Napoleon and Adolph Hitler. He claims his most prized asset is his anonymity. He also claims to be an expert in military strategy and was the inspiration for the Guns song Civil War which was written per his request for a song how “people were stupid and he could and he could sell them anything because people love to kill each other.” He also claims to be an expert in global finance and money laundering living tax free in Belair last I was aware and claiming to launder monies for wealthy individuals in several countries predominantly Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, with ties to the Bush/Reagan administrations and wherever there’s a war in the world at any given moment." 

I sure hope Axl didn't believe this guy.

"I wrote Scraped for the step son of this stripper I was banging.  He said had superpowers, he said he could fly, bend steel, eat iron and shit bullets.  He wanted me to write a song about how nobody could stop him.  He was half Asian and half French.  He had connections to Superman and Batman.   IRS was about the prince of Nigeria, he needed to get money out of the country and...."

Edited by DeadSlash
words...
  • Like 1

On 7 March 2017 at 10:17 AM, Apollo said:

Quite possibly their best overall song. I would have loved to see the old band, in their prime, firing an album full of songs of that vein. 

True I like all the songs in CW vein like PC, OIAM, Catcher, IRS, Madagascar. They have multiple parts and dark kind of political slant lyrically. A whole album of them might be tiresome but I hope there's one more to come at least.