The best opening song for a GN'R concert since 2001

The best opener since 2001  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chinese gets my vote, mostly because it's the song out of that bunch I feel is weaker any later in the set. The build-up has a great atmosphere to open a gig. 

Also really like when they open small shows with You're Crazy though, it's a fun, laid-back song for that type of gig. One of my favorite GN'R memories is seeing them open with it at the Brooklyn Bowl.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Chinese gets my vote, mostly because it's the song out of that bunch I feel is weaker any later in the set. The build-up has a great atmosphere to open a gig. 

Also really like when they open small shows with You're Crazy though, it's a fun, laid-back song for that type of gig. One of my favorite GN'R memories is seeing them open with it at the Brooklyn Bowl.

It works fine without the intro.

But I agree, the song with intro builds a great atmosphere for the beginning of a concert.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Voted for Jungle.  When CD came out I would've voted for CD.  If Izzy returns hope they go with Pretty Tied Up.  I would've loved to hear more material in that direction.  Seems they were feeling it to since they opened Rock in Rio 2 with it both nights.  I guess that train of thought was cut off when Izzy left.  The lyrics in verses would have even more relevance now too, even though I'm still into it and all.

CD shouldn't even be played live. Much less open a show. 

Gnr has the best show opener and best show closer in rock music. Jungle and PC. No need to change up perfection. 

It's like the lady with a perfect face saying she is getting a nose job. Why, there is no need. 

Play with and mix up the rest of the setlist. Move things around. Add new songs. Play old deep cuts. 

But leave perfection alone. 

That guitar part.....Axl asking if the crowd knows where they are....them the demon scream to kick things into motion. It seriously is the best opener in rock music. 

5 minutes ago, Apollo said:

CD shouldn't even be played live. Much less open a show. 

Gnr has the best show opener and best show closer in rock music. Jungle and PC. No need to change up perfection. 

It's like the lady with a perfect face saying she is getting a nose job. Why, there is no need. 

Play with and mix up the rest of the setlist. Move things around. Add new songs. Play old deep cuts. 

But leave perfection alone. 

That guitar part.....Axl asking if the crowd knows where they are....them the demon scream to kick things into motion. It seriously is the best opener in rock music. 

There are actually TWO: WTTJ from GN'R and Live Wire from AC/DC.

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

There are actually TWO: WTTJ from GN'R and Live Wire from AC/DC.

On the topic of AC/DC, I think For Those About To Rock is the best concert closer there is.

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Chinese Democracy

This guy gets it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

On the topic of AC/DC, I think For Those About To Rock is the best concert closer there is. 

Absolutely agree with you there. Freakin love that song and what an awesome closing song to rock out to at the end of the show! :headbang:

36 minutes ago, fallglimmer said:

what post 2001 show did they open with You Could Be Mine?

I vote It's So Easy, Jungle first feels like blowing your load early....the place it is right now is good for keeping the energy going.

April 12, 2014 in Bolivia. 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2014/estadio-hernando-siles-la-paz-bolivia-3bc39444.html

13 hours ago, NachoLZ said:

Axl should sing everything that sounds bad today with the voice he does here in the first verse

I like the tempo at this show on songs like November Rain...they slowed it way down in order to not wear Frank out. They apparently were playing at a really high altitude

On 3/4/2017 at 8:22 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Chinese Democracy

When I went to the first Hammerstein show and they debuted the "new/final" intro for CD, I turned to my friend and said "This should open every single show going forward"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

When I went to the first Hammerstein show and they debuted the "new/final" intro for CD, I turned to my friend and said "This should open every single show going forward"

The CD  build up and the  "It don't really matter" gets you more fired up than hearing the opening notes of Jungle and then hearing Axl's demonic scream "you know where the fuxk you are? You're in the jungle baby, your gonna diiieeeeeeee"....

It's all personal preference. So there is no wrong or right answer.

But really?

How about PC as the closer? Replace it with Sorry or IRS?

WTTJ is the best opening song for sure but Coma would be a nice surprise. They did it at some of the Japan concerts in the early 90's. You're Crazy is a perfect opening song for smaller gigs.

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

The CD  build up and the  "It don't really matter" gets you more fired up than hearing the opening notes of Jungle and then hearing Axl's demonic scream "you know where the fuxk you are? You're in the jungle baby, your gonna diiieeeeeeee"....

It's all personal preference. So there is no wrong or right answer.

But really?

How about PC as the closer? Replace it with Sorry or IRS?

Answer to first question: yes or I wouldn't have said it. 

Answer to second question: of course not. 

On 3/5/2017 at 9:14 PM, NachoLZ said:

Axl should sing everything that sounds bad today with the voice he does here in the first verse

It's almost as if he rips into the song with his old voice and suddenly remembers this is one of the mickey songs.

• Like 1