Fall To Pieces should be played on this tour.

Just my opinion....the riff was the next Guns N' Roses song....according to Axl, anyway....one of the last songs Axl heard from Slash before they stopped talking.  It's an incredible song...and not to take anything away from what Weiland did with it but I'd like to hear Axl sing along Slash's riff on this.....pretty sure it would be amazing.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

If I could choose any non-GNR song for this lineup to play it would undoubtedly be Fall to Pieces.

It'll never happen though.  Obviously Axl's ego would prevent him from even acknowledging that Slash and Duff had a life during their absence.

And I just don't think he has the chops for it vocally.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

There are already many covers on the setlist. 

Since Slash is the co-author of the majority of GNR songs of any relevance I wouldn't consider anything he has written in his career as a cover or at least as more of a cover the the CD songs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wasted said:

It's Scott's SCOM in a way.

It would be cool to kind of keep some of those VR songs alive. That ELO cover they did would be great. 

Funny you mention that as I always viewed that as their attempt at a scom. A lot of their songs are like that to me. Sucker train blues is right next door to hell in a way, or dirty little thing is a take on it's so easy in 2003. Set me free sounds like it was written for Guns.

Yeah and you know what else they should play??? THEY SHOULD PLAY DUST N FRIGGIN BONES!!!

14 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Just my opinion....the riff was the next Guns N' Roses song....according to Axl, anyway....one of the last songs Axl heard from Slash before they stopped talking.  It's an incredible song...and not to take anything away from what Weiland did with it but I'd like to hear Axl sing along Slash's riff on this.....pretty sure it would be amazing.  Just sayin'.

I would be curious to hear Axl's take...ultimately, it's probably up to Axl since you'd think Duff and Slash would want to play it

Edited by Billsfan

6 hours ago, Sprite said:

Funny you mention that as I always viewed that as their attempt at a scom. A lot of their songs are like that to me. Sucker train blues is right next door to hell in a way, or dirty little thing is a take on it's so easy in 2003. Set me free sounds like it was written for Guns.

Half of Contraband is Slash's part of Guns. But it was Slash free of the constraints of a GNR song sometimes. Even on WOF the intro riffing is sometimes much longer than you'd expect on GNR. Like Garden of Eden Axl is in there pretty quick. To me She Builds Quick Machines has a YCBM thing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Fall To Pieces is very redundant, that chorus goes on and on, it's boring. What they need is to play There Was A Time, now that's a great song.

Fall to Pieces is redundant? What the hell is This I Love then? lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Fall to Pieces is redundant? What the hell is This I Love then? lol

I am not a fan of the lyrics to Fall to Pieces while I don't mind This I Love's lyrics all that much. I don't hate Fall to Pieces by any means, but think they are a little over repetitive. Your comment made me wonder about that so I decided I need to go see if I could figure out why that is.

Some interesting stats (excel what can't it do?):

Fall to pieces:

Total words:  170        
# different words:  48        
Top used word:             
    word      # used    percentage of song
    I'm            15       8.82%
    Falling        14       8.24%
    I                14       8.24%
    Pieces        13       7.65%
    To             12       7.06%
    Fall            10       5.88%
    All               9       5.29%
    Alone           9       5.29%
    Down          9       5.29%
    Every          8       4.71%
    Total#         113      66.47%

This I love:

Total words    299        
# different words    109        
Top used word:             
    word    # used    percentage of song
    I              16       5.35%
    ME           16       5.35%
    She            8       2.68%
    So              8       2.68%
    her             7       2.34%
    It               7       2.34%
    God            6       2.01%
    the             5       1.67%
    eyes          5        1.67%
    say            5        1.67%
    Total #      83       27.76%

The top ten used words in Fall to Pieces takes up 66% of the song and truthfully, Fall, Falling and Fell are all similar to my ear and if you account for that the top ten words is 75% of the song. Falling to Pieces is repetitive. This I Love may be overly sappy or whatever, but it is not nearly as repetitive.

• Like 4

You know Fall To Pieces is a very beautiful song and I admit I always wondered what it would have been like if Axl and Slash had done it together.

A co worker of mine is actually a huge Weiland fan and though he likes Guns he was very definitive that he would deem it Disrespect if Axl did it. He also said many others would feel the same.

Of course, we argued about it since others have sang Axl's songs but he argued Weiland and Axl didn't like each other and he felt it would disrespect his memory. He also hated that Weiland was forced to live in a shadow of Axl and his songs while in VR. Of course he also wasn't a fan of hearing Weiland do GnR either. So he was fair.

You know I never seen it that way until he explained it. They were performing GnR songs quite a bit. So according to him many fans of his would be upset if the songs he actually got to do that wasn't GnR were done by Axl.

I guess I didn't realize it was that big of a deal but see his point.

I was sure that after Scott was no longer in VR he was more understanding of Axl though.

I always wonder what the lyrics would be like if Axl wrote them. Weiland was always quite proud of the lyrics he wrote there. 

I agree with others that to me it sounded like they wanted a SCOM. I found it interesting especially after it was said Slash didn't like SCOM initially.

Either way, I'd love to hear that and Slither done by Axl.

Covers are done all the time by bands. Maybe we will get some. I only say cover in relation to Weiland being a writer to some of these songs. 

• Like 2

Personally I really don't want this to happen. Though I do admit that it would be interesting to hear Axl's vocals on it (and I do think he could pull it off, it's not that hard of a song to sing...), but it would just be... weird.

Similarly, I never liked Scott singing GnR songs during VR days or Myles singing those songs with Slash. Honestly, I'm not fully comfortable with the current band playing CD song either. I understand why they do it but something about it feels very... tainted. :shrugs:

I'd rather a cover of a song that they have no previous association with (or a brand new song... but that ain't happening).

I'd love to hear Guns do this. Weiland and Axl didn't really have any beef. He just posted that message taking the Mick out of Axl. 

It'd be cool as a one off for a tribute to Scott. Slash N Duff have been pretty quiet about Scott since he passed. They actually played in South America on Scott's birthday in October and didn't do anything. 

I like to think Wish You Were Here is a tribute to him

1 hour ago, Kovags said:

we are closer to hear slither  w duff on vocals than Fall to Pieces.

That'd be cool. I don't see much of a difference between that and Attitude or You can't put your arms around a memory. Maybe that's why it was on those set lists.