Just another thread about Jackie Chan/Checkmate

I know that leak has been discussed countless times over the years, but I've just noticed something and was wondering if it was ever pointed out.

I was reading again Chinese Whispers the other day, and there's this Duff interview with Howard Stern when the band is working on the scrapped 1996 album:

"Duff: We're in [the studio], writing new songs...
Stern: And Axl's into it?
Duff: Yeah, totally. And, actually, today I was going to have to fly back right after this. We were going to start recording for this Jackie Chan movie, the next one." (Duff, Howard Stern Show, 07/25/96)

Now, I know that the Jackie Chan/Checkmate leak is likely to come from the Sean Beavan sessions, but it would make sense if the working title was Jackie Chan because the song was based on the idea originally developed for that soundtrack.

On the other hand, I think Axl said in an interview that everything from those 1996 sessions was scrapped and the new line-up started to write from scratch.

Anyway, wonder if we're ever going to hear a full version of Jackie Chan/Checkmate (how many times have we said that over the last 10 years?)

Edited by Twinaleblood
fixed the title

5 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

not sure if it is from 1996 sounds more like a 1999 out take but hey its hard to tell from a 30 second clip.

The recording is surely from 1999 or later, as Brain confirmed he played drums on it (so it could be one of the 30 or so tracks that Josh Freese had originally recorded and then Brain had to recreate).

Also, as far as we know, the 1996 recordings are all instrumentals, no vocals.

But who knows, maybe the roots of the songs are traceable to whatever idea they were working on for that Jackie Chan soundtrack in july 1996.

36 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The show was sold out, it was a comeback show, no one knew Bumble was in the band, backstage is cool, and a deal's a deal. 

I was there. If it wasn't the first night,people knew. I'm sure it leaked online that afternoon. Also who is to say this guy didn't copy the disc? Anyway, sucks for him I guess but there isn't much he could have done about it.

can someone please tell me where I can find the leaked versions at? I am having some trouble finding the different leaks for different years. website wise, I cant find anywhere to listen to the leaks. I found an app with some stuff but the app doesn't give the different years, sources, or type of leak that the songs is from. I've obiously seen many lists of leaked songs and the different names of the leaks i.e. "Chinese democracy MSL", "IF the World Antiquiet", "irs 1999", etc.  thanks guys I really appreciate your help and time!!!!

Yeah but you can hear it's not the Uncle right off. The one I've posted... that's a different story. But no one seems to know much about it. Could be from the mysterious era between the departure of the 2002 mickey and second coming of the 2006 rasp, for example. Who knows. It might not be Axl at all, but like I said, if it's not him, it's a damn good impression.