Acoustic Rock without drums or bass?

So I'm hoping to start a new music project with some people that I imagine will basically be acoustic rock without drums or bass (like the acoustic side of GN'R Lies). 

With that being said, I still want to layer in some heavily distorted electric guitars to give the songs some "edge" (like One in a Million) as well as some guitars with chorus effects (cause I really dig that sound).

Has anyone ever experimented with anything like this? How did you feel about the results? Any advice for recording/mixing? To be more specific, was it tough filling in the "low end" without bass? or making up for the lack of a traditional rock rhythm section without the usual bass/drums combo?

Thanks!

My friend and I recorded an acoustic cover last month that I am currently working on, it doesn't have drums or bass on it. I have used a wide, small boost at about 100hz on the guitar bus which gives a bit more body to the guitars. It will also have an electric solo, which will be drenched in delay. I think without bass and drums, you will have to sacrifice sone of the low end. I don't think that is a bad thing on acoustic tracks. 

I have recorded acoustic stuff with my friend before, here is a playlist, have a listen: 

• Like 3

For the electric part, you could try using a fuller tone by either changing your amp settings to include more bass, or by using a more full range mic to mic your amp (aka not using an sm-57/58 which is usually very mid-ey in my experience)

• Like 1

On Lies, they put the bassist on guitar for at least Patience.  A three guitar spread could allow one guitar to focus on some 'baselines' within the chordings and since its not a focus but rather a layer, a bit of extra bass frequencies and space for them to breath wouldn't be as distracting or un natural as if it were the main guitar component.  Id go for some heavier gauge strings and a really woody sound. For drums, even though this doesn't help fill in the bass frequencies themselves, on a separate back up guitar track, a chiming and shimmering tone can be used to strum the way that a ride cymbal would be in the mix.  Hear it a lot in country and 70s rock: often theres an acoustic strumming higher voiced inversions playing the same pattern as a ride. Open strings, mild fret noise and even the odd accidental harmonic can be nice here. Lock that in with the 'baseline-chord-guitar' which should be emphasizing where the kick drum would be in its strumming.  Good for groove and the shimmery stuff can sometimes, by contrast, emphasize the bass sound its interacting with.  And then the main rhythm guitar sits on top of these and between them in mix.  Leads can still be on a fourth guitar/track.  Still can sound like a two guitar song.

Obviously these arrangement techniques don't work for nearly all type of songs or styles.  And may not appeal to all, but for what its worth thought I'd share my approach to that. 

Edited by soon
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Thanks very much to everyone for all the advice and examples here. I really appreciate it! I was thinking of trying the "light strumming with some harmonics" trick actually.

I ended up putting strings in mine; the cellos fattened it up nicely!

• Like 1