Best full concert available?

To who suggested I just make a play list, my cousin wants to see a show in it's entirety and not 'cherry picked best song performances'. I have a hard choice haha. Think I'm going to try to talk him into watching Ritz 88 and either Paris, Chicago, or Hartford(At least til I make it through all the posts). Thank you all that have shared so far, except the guy who suggested Rio '11 :P.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abstractv3 said:

To who suggested I just make a play list, my cousin wants to see a show in it's entirety and not 'cherry picked best song performances'. I have a hard choice haha. Think I'm going to try to talk him into watching Ritz 88 and either Paris, Chicago, or Hartford(At least til I make it through all the posts). Thank you all that have shared so far, except the guy who suggested Rio '11 :P.

Giving that specific info....id be hard pressed to not say Paris 92.  The 88 Ritz show is preferable, but then you leave illusion era stuff on the table.  

I'm obviously preferential to 91 Deer Creek show and at least Izzy is there as opposed to the Paris, Chicago shows.

You seem to have a good shortlist though.

• Like 1

Maybe not the best, but some of my personal favorites...

Argentina '93, night 2- Last show with Axl/Slash/Duff for 23 years. That Nightrain outro was badass too. 

Oklahoma '92- just an overall awesome performance. The performance of Sweet Child is one of the best on the UYI tour.

Chicago '92- Coma and a couple epic rants made for a great show :lol:

Rock Am Ring 2006- The opening scream on Jungle was just fuckin amazing. One of Axl's best shows IMO

I gotta go Indiana '91. Make sure its the high quality video version and not the youtube version.  Some of the guys on the tracker have it.  Make sure your cousin is chained to the couch for civil war, perfect crime and estranged.  BTW I always liked how Axl wore his NWA hat for a big chunk of this show.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, liqddynamite said:

I gotta go Indiana '91. Make sure its the high quality video version and not the youtube version.  Some of the guys on the tracker have it.  Make sure your cousin is chained to the couch for civil war, perfect crime and estranged.  BTW I always liked how Axl wore his NWA hat for a big chunk of this show.

HQ version?

image.jpeg

45 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

HQ version?

image.jpeg

Fanfzero linked it, I got it from him.  Files are .vob, but VLC can run them.  You can also download a free video converter to string them together.

Also, OP, who are your cousins favorite artists?  I'm sure the wise people of this forum could pick a GNR concert that's closest to his musical tastes in order to skew this "evaluation" he wants to do.

Edited by liqddynamite
  • Like 1

Ritz '88 or Indiana '91

Ritz '88 shows the essence of the band imo. The sound is a little fucked up but it showcases the volatile elements that initially made the band so famous.

I quite like the Ritz '87 audio recording as well. Now if you could get your hands on the recorded footage... that really could be something! :lol: 

I know it's not full concert, but my all time favorite is Freddie Mercury Tribute. They were at their best and preforming to such big crowd in such atmosphere is surreal and they just killed it with preformance (KOHD part is one of the best I've ever seen)

...damn they should get Tracey and Roberta back for back vox, they made KOHD epic!

3 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

I guess the best available to watch. If its the best show in general but crappy video/audio it doesnt really come across I guess.

Then definitely Vegas Night 2. Complete show great quality with no interruptions and the audio is from Axl's IEM. The performance is great too minus a chair bound Axl. But vocally it's really good and the band is tight. It's got probably one of greatest performances of Coma from the entire tour as well.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

Show him a club show from '86 and a couple shows from '87 and '88, but nothing after. The few good songs that came from UYI were written during the AFD era and prior; the rest are pretty much garbage or meaningless filler.

The only footage worth viewing post-'88 would be Farm Aid 1990 because that featured their best version of Civil War and then the band officially died.

i would vote for the most "common" ones. Ritz -88 Chicago 1992, Paris 1992, Argentina 1993. The Indiana 1991 is good only because it's the first time November Rain is played. And it has some deep cuts in it. But Axl's voice in that one are really bad, sounds like a engine that are about to seize but he's truly on fire esp in perfect crime :D but there are so many good out there it's hard to choose.. 

I really liked some of the "skin N' Bones" shows in 1993.

Go Ritz 88, he won't enjoy the illusion songs unless he likes the band, you get him hooked on Guns then he can watch the illusion shows. Besides a lot of the shows start of slow for UYI...you'll have to hold his attention through Bad Obsession and DTJ...he will quit watching. 

Go short and sweet with ritz 

9 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

Show him a club show from '86 and a couple shows from '87 and '88, but nothing after. The few good songs that came from UYI were written during the AFD era and prior; the rest are pretty much garbage or meaningless filler.

The only footage worth viewing post-'88 would be Farm Aid 1990 because that featured their best version of Civil War and then the band officially died.

You're joking right? That Civil War performance at Farm Aid is absolutely terrible, Steven doesn't even know it and they play it at like half time, it's awful.