GN'R should be a three guitar player group again - with Slash, Izzy and Richard

I don't see any reason why Izzy and Richard shouldn't be both in the same line up. They played live together back in 2006 and 2012 and I think they had some chemistry on stage.

Izzy has the songwriting skills, Richard is a very skilled guitar player.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That's the problem Slash doesn't need wannabe lead guitarist like Richard he needs laidback rhythm guitarist like Izzy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DexAxl said:

That's the problem Slash doesn't need wannabe lead guitarist like Richard he needs laidback rhythm guitarist like Izzy.

It's actually true, I have to admit, although I'm not the one blaming them for not having Izzy. But yeah there's only room enough for one lead guitar player in the band and this person is Slash, Fortus is adding some unnecesary noise, the band sounded much better when there was sort of less guitars or the other guitar was more at the back, I don't know. Or maybe I like Slash's past playing more then his playing now. Either way even the UYI band souded far better to me then this incarnation.

• Like 3

Three guitars at once is just sonic overkill, for a live setting you only need two otherwise the live mix and everything will get too muddy and convoluted - which was what happened with nuGNR

As much as I love Izzy, I am totally satisfied with the Slash and Richard duo as well, I am not one of those "AFD or bust" guys either.  As much as a Appetite reunion would rock my socks off - I can say I am happy with the way this lineup sounds and I think its going really well

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

No it should. GNR is a two guitar band, those guitarist being Slash and Izzy. 

I can't like anymore, but this. They got Slash back in tne band. They don't need a third guitarist. And should they have Izzy, then there is no space for Fortus.

• Like 1

What Izzy and Axl do with song writing and melody is vital....but I agree Izzy's stage presence isn't exciting, he's very much the cool guy up there, which is fine when your guitarist is Slash and you have Axl who is one of the best frontmen ever.

I miss Izzy and Duff standing next to each other singing the outro to Patience...I never wanted Izzy to be that over the top guitarist. He is who he is and it works well with the rest of cast. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, DexAxl said:

Slash seems to accept Richards role in the  band. They would have hired someone else if that wouldn't be the case.

Sounds full enough with just Slash and Richard, but Izzy's guitar is generally very low in the mix so I don't really see it clashing badly and Appetite had 2 rhythm guitars and lead.

Richard is probably not going anywhere so if Izzy will do some shows and collaborate, I assume it will have to be with Richard. Hopefully it happens one day and with Adler as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

What chemistry are you referring to exactly?

I saw Izzy with the 2012 lineup and it was fairly underwhelming - his guitar was totally inaudible, didn't crack a smile and half heartedly sang 14 years.
I don't want to shit on Izzy or his contributions, but he has zero charisma on stage and is leagues behind both Slash and Fortus in terms of his guitar chops.

Great guy. Amazing songwriter. Pretty shit live.

I agree completely. Izzy up there would be cool but he's a shitty performer. Richard would be backstage anyway...

the problem is that the songs are made for two guitars, Iron Maiden even before 3 guitars had 3 guitars playing on the songs, now the sound is more complete with Janick doing his stuff, I never saw the need of 3 guitars in GNR, I like Fortus where he is and I don't rly like Izzy so...

27 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

What chemistry are you referring to exactly?

I saw Izzy with the 2012 lineup and it was fairly underwhelming - his guitar was totally inaudible, didn't crack a smile and half heartedly sang 14 years.
I don't want to shit on Izzy or his contributions, but he has zero charisma on stage and is leagues behind both Slash and Fortus in terms of his guitar chops.

Great guy. Amazing songwriter. Pretty shit live.

this is why I don't like him, I think he's a awesome songwriter and a cool guitar player, but him on stage just sucks, Fortus has more presence

Unless you're Lynyrd Skynyrd or Iron Maiden IMO every rock/metal band should have maximum two guitarists. Three or more are just overkill in most cases and the Slash/Fortus combo is the second-best scenario we can get. Would I prefer Izzy? Of course, but Fortus is a great replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I don't see any reason why Izzy and Richard shouldn't be both in the same line up. They played live together back in 2006 and 2012 and I think they had some chemistry on stage.

They need 3 guitar players and 2 drummers...So we will have 5 AFD +1 uyi+2 CD players +Mellisa..

6 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Seriously not trying to stir the pot here but for those of you constantly saying Izzy does not have any stage presence... What exactly would you like him to do up there? He plays, interacts with the fans and genuinely seems to be having a good time. But because he's not punching his guitar or running around every 5 seconds that means he doesn't have stage presence? :facepalm:

to me? interact with fans, looking comfortable on stage, it's not running around or punching the guitar, is looking like is having a good time, even on the Illusions tour, pretty much all the time he was just in his place, I don't know, it bothers me

2 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

to me? interact with fans, looking comfortable on stage, it's not running around or punching the guitar, is looking like is having a good time, even on the Illusions tour, pretty much all the time he was just in his place, I don't know, it bothers me

How can someone with no presence bother you? 

You really get no enjoyment from watching Ritz 88 or RIR 91? Do you think those shows would be better if Richard Fortus were in them? 

• Like 2