Going Down - What Do We Know & Thoughts

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I could be wrong on the players. I'm less likely to be wrong on the timeline. 

the intro is the same blunt haunted house riff Ashba does on everything.

The solo is somewhat in the style of Robin and gave me pause listening to it but it feels completely pasted on / out of left field like Bumble's Riad solo.

I mean even Bumblefoot said the song was Chi Dem era.

Nope, if you listen to the orginal leak (the one with Bumblefoot on the left), you'll hear the riff and solo are both Robin & Bumble. 

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

It's possible it's from that era but was recorded/re-recorded by that band.

I mean Better was re-recorded by Ashba and also has that same lethargic riff-age.

I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong, the playing just sounds subpar and also unlike Robin. 

Anyway, who cares. Average song. Sounds like a Lies outtake without the verve. 

I never thought of Dj Ashba to be honest, that's intetersting, not impossible. Richard could probably be the guy soloing during the outro. It's just, to me, it sounds like the 2006 line-up.

Well...

@Wagszilla

Robin Finck confirmed that he plays on "Going Down," that Buckethead used to go to the studio unmasked sometimes, that he and Buckethead rehearsed "My Michelle" for the first time the day before playing it, that he's very proud and thankful about his past in GN'R, and that he does the vocals on his upcoming solo record. (via GNR Persia 2014)

richard fortus: actually, Axl DOES want to do it Tommy doesn't tough to sing and play Dj ASHBA: yep

First time I've heard this track. I doubt this will ever be released as Tommy is on vocals. It's definitely a B-Side from CD that missed the cut. Has to be Finck on the intro, listen to Better then to Going Down intro's. 

It's good enough to be released & could be re-recorded with Duff on Vocals but needs more Axl. 

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Bumblefoot: 'Going Down is Chi Dem era, kinda earthy, but let Axwell talk about it when he's ready''

Rock In Rio IV Setlist:

Setlist-GNR.jpg

RIR would've been so awesome if they came out and played estranged, omg, and going down.

like all post-96 GNR tracks, its doing too much. I think overall you have a nice little Rock tune from Tommy but Axl's backing vocals are very grating and don't fit. some guitar parts (including that horrendous solo) don't fit. it sounds like somebody is trying force some nu-metal elements on it which just kills the vibe of the song. simpler is sometimes better and its most certainly better in this case. strip the song down and lay a grounded solo.

Edited by -W.A.R-

19 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Bumblefoot: 'Going Down is Chi Dem era, kinda earthy, but let Axwell talk about it when he's ready''

Rock In Rio IV Setlist:

Setlist-GNR.jpg

Killer set list. I would have loved to see a show with all these songs. Pity they never did it.

I still listen to it regularly. Frightening that it has been 4 years since it first leaked.

When it leaked, someone close to the band allegedly said that Axl laid down lead vocals for it, is there any truth in that?

I would love to hear it on an official release at some point.

• Like 1

The song Going Down was exciting to hear when it came out - mostly because during that time we didn't have a real exciting band to follow unlike now.  Axl was going through the motions and the ongoing tour since 2009 was pretty much totally stale years after the fact

Hearing the song now, it doesn't do much for me.  It basically sounds like a group of people trying too hard to write an Izzy acoustic tune, where the vibe is there but the songwriting isn't.