Going Down - What Do We Know & Thoughts

This song is honestly one of the best songs Guns has ever written, I really enjoy it. What do we know about it? Do we know who plays on it? Do we know when the vocals were recorded for both Tommy and Axl? Who did the solo? Would you guys have any interest in this song reworked on a new Guns album with or without Tommy? Let's discuss this awesome tune.

• Like 2

It's a nice track.

For me, as is, with Tommy singing it's more of a B side track, but it's nice. It was cool to HEAR they were working on things quite different from the songs on Chinese at some point. Cool track...

Really wish GNR had released more original b sides on their singles. There are some tracks that aren't officially out there which would have worked well as b sides. Things that don't fit the vision of the album of whatever but are still good tracks.

they only have shadow of your love, right? 

Edited by MADDOGJONES
  • Like 1

After it leaked Beta once said "We don't need to put out anything now" - "Everyone took the fun out of everything" Which was very bullshit. And then a couple of months later, Axl fired her temporally for releasing Appetite For Democracy 3D. Then in 2014 Bumblefoot quit, and Tommy and Duff etc.

Good times.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

After it leaked Beta once said "We don't need to put out anything now" - "Everyone took the fun out of everything" Which was very bullshit. And then a couple of months later, Axl fired her temporally for releasing Appetite For Democracy 3D. Then in 2014 Bumblefoot quit, and Tommy and Duff etc.

Good times.

Did Axl really fire her? Was that confirmed?

It's a nice track and was definitely great to hear something "new". 

But in all honesty, the song really goes nowhere qnd the crazy solo is totally out of place, in my opinion. Goes to show how desperate we are for new music...

Edited by EvH
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Did Axl really fire her? Was that confirmed?

It was common knowledge at the time, Axl wasn't happy when it debuted in movie theaters nationwide. Mods asked her and she laughed it off and said it was complete bullshit...

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Bumblefoot: 'Going Down is Chi Dem era, kinda earthy, but let Axwell talk about it when he's ready''

Rock In Rio IV Setlist:

Setlist-GNR.jpg

Thank for all the information man, interesting it was almost played live at RIR '11, we must've been really damn close to new music.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

It was common knowledge at the time, Axl wasn't happy when it debuted in movie theaters nationwide. Mods asked her and she laughed it off and said it was complete bullshit...

Sorry to go off topic but could someone perhaps link or PM me to some more info on this whole thing?

I really enjoy the laidback vibe on it, great track, would have been perfect if Izzy was on vocals. This song is actually really good enough that I don't care that Slash or Duff aren't on it, just good music. This is the sort of branching out I can see Guns doing, not some shit like Rhiad.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Silent Jay said:
  • Tommy Stinson
  • Axl Rose
  • Bumblefoot (rhythm/lead), Robin Finck (rhythm/lead), Fortus (Acoustic?), Buckethead (killswitch at the end)
  • Frank Ferrer

I can't believe it leaked 4 years ago. FOUR.

Given the line-up, I'd say this came up around the time Tommy was working on Village Gorilla Head (with later overdubs by Bumblefoot, of course). Maybe Axl liked the song and asked him to use it for GNR, that would be an educate guess.
I have a question myself: do we know for sure it's Frank and not Brain on drums? And how do we know Richard was on it too? Was it somehow confirmed or just guessing?

Edited by Twinaleblood

Damn I remember wanting it to be played so bad, I know I'm in the minority but I am a huge fan of Tommy Stimson and always thought that it would have sounded great in CD itself, maybe instead of If The World or as a special track or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Good times.

Surprisingly releasing AFD 3D was the stepping stone to a reunion...it forced Axl to sign off on a Slash DVD in exchange for Slash signing off on Axl's...Beta's little mistake had a good result 

6 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Good times.

Beta was fired for releasing the DVD? That's news to me...interesting

Its a good tune. Liked it then and like it now. Not a full fledged NuGNR track though, as Axls vocals are an after thought. It was a cool leak but not on the same level as a leak of something like Atlas or The General

8 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

This song is honestly one of the best songs Guns has ever written, I really enjoy it. What do we know about it? Do we know who plays on it? Do we know when the vocals were recorded for both Tommy and Axl? Who did the solo? Would you guys have any interest in this song reworked on a new Guns album with or without Tommy? Let's discuss this awesome tune.

There`s a back-vocals with Axl in it. Any chance just to make them louder?

It's alright, seems frankenstein'd from recordings from previous musicians like most of ChiDem

If it ever shows up again in a setlist or a new album, I'm sure it'll be a stand-out track with a little more polish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I hear an outtake from One Man Mutiny.

It's likely Tommy brought this to Guns before that record in 2010.

It's Ashba with that horrible intro riff, Bumble solo, Frank on drums, and probably Richard playing slide. 

Axl's vocals date to similar era and sound stretched in Pro Tools. 

I think its also someone else on the solo. The tone is different.

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I hear an outtake from One Man Mutiny.

It's likely Tommy brought this to Guns before that record in 2010.

It's Ashba with that horrible intro riff, Bumble solo, Frank on drums, and probably Richard playing slide. 

Axl's vocals date to similar era and sound stretched in Pro Tools. 

Naah man, you're dead wrong.

2004<x (so after VGH), Bumblefoot on slides, the guitar solo is robin & bumblefoot. There's absolutely no Dj.