Zelda Breath of the Wild (Wii U & Switch)

RussTCB

i've not felt so excited in a game in  more than a decade, perhaps longer.

MGSV was great and i've got some pleasure with DKC returns and mario bros Wii.

But this, this is on another level. It's super mario 64 greatness. It will have the same impact on the industry. There are so many revolutionary elements in this game, i'm sure we'll see many open world games copying them in the future, the same way mario 64 did.

I've been going through as many shrines as I can. Got myself up to 11 heart containers and 2 extra stamina containers.

Still don't have the entire map open and I haven't done any side quests, but I'm having fun. I finally knocked out on of the four divine beasts this morning too. Forgot the name of it but it's the big ass bird one. I feel like I'll be able to get almost anywhere I want between the power I received after beating it and the 2 stamina containers.

What's odd is that the game is so huge that no matter how much I do, I still feel like I haven't done much. I mean that in a good way and it's a super cool feeling to have with a game. Normally I'd be slowing down by now because I'd feel like I'm over halfway through with it.

• Like 1

I'm still on 4 hearts and one stamina. outside the mandatory shrines I have only done two other.

my focus, for now, is on unlocking the whole map. some towers are impossible to climb at my level, others barely. the one in the southeast is impossible without improved stamina. the one in the middle plain is very hard to do with the watchers shooting from you from both sides, but I've unlocked it nonetheless.

I'm piling up all sorts of ingredients, and when I've walked around the whole world, i'll review what I have and start experimenting with cooking. and see what crazy recpies I come up with.

I have a feeling, everything I do now is mere preparation since I haven't really "started" the game yet, which is insane.

On 3/9/2017 at 3:41 PM, RussTCB said:

Figured I'd start a thread just for the game since many seem to be playing.

For those that didn't see it in the Switch thread, this map is extremely helpful:
http://www.ign.com/maps/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/hyrule

I don't have a Wii U or a Switch so I am pretty mad this is such a high-reviewed game haha. Maybe I will have to watch a game walk through online first. 0_o

I've put a ton of time into this since it came out. I've found 80 shrines and beaten 3 of the dungeons. Finally made my way into Hyrule Castle and did some exploring there. It's a very difficult area. It's super cool that you're able to go there basically from the start, but it's difficult enough where it's probably not feasible to just waltz in and beat the game from the start. I got my ass handed to me a few times by a certain enemy in there even with 18 hearts.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 5:47 PM, LightningBolt said:

I've put a ton of time into this since it came out. I've found 80 shrines and beaten 3 of the dungeons. Finally made my way into Hyrule Castle and did some exploring there. It's a very difficult area. It's super cool that you're able to go there basically from the start, but it's difficult enough where it's probably not feasible to just waltz in and beat the game from the start. I got my ass handed to me a few times by a certain enemy in there even with 18 hearts.

I had to take pretty much the whole week off due to work travel. Yes, I could've taken the Switch with me but I didn't for a variety of reasons this particular week. In any case, I put a lot of time into it the week prior. I have around 11 hearts (I think) and 2 extra stamina containers. I finally took the time to beat one of the four divine beasts which was the bird one. I love the jumping ability I got after that but haven't done much since. My plan is to get back after hitting more shrines this weekend and stock up on as many hearts as I can prior to trying to knock out the other 3 divine beasts.

• Like 2

Knocked out a second divine beast (the elephant one). I'm gonna be out of town again all week. Trying to decide if I should just take the Switch along and try to knock out the other two. 

Has anyone else really dug into the side quests? I think I need to be doing more of them than I have so far.

• Like 1

just unlocked every tower. with only 4 heart containers and one stamina circle. felt like an achievement.

next, i'm going to highlight every shrine (without entering them). it makes for convenient teleport points.

i'm also collecting korok seeds as much as i can, and experimenting with food.

just powered up my bombs too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

just unlocked every tower. with only 4 heart containers and one stamina circle. felt like an achievement.

next, i'm going to highlight every shrine (without entering them). it makes for convenient teleport points.

i'm also collecting korok seeds as much as i can, and experimenting with food.

just powered up my bombs too.

Go get yourself as many Durian Fruit as you can from the cliff by the Faron Tower. Cook 5 at a time and you'll be happy as hell with the results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Go get yourself as many Durian Fruit as you can from the cliff by the Faron Tower. Cook 5 at a time and you'll be happy as hell with the results.

you mean, ill get 'something good' ;) (thats a joke only zelda junkies will get. ill show myself the way out)

• Like 1

Breath of the Wild is one of the best games ever released, if not the best. I cant stop playing this damn game. It's brilliant in every damn way. It's also the first game in recent years I have chosen not to look at any internet guides or YouTube videos, when I'm stuck in the game I figure it out. We rely too much on the internet these days when we don't know what to do. Great start and great end to the Switch and Wii U.

• Like 3

I felt the ending was a little bit of a let down. The best they could do is have a two minute clip of Zelda saying 'Thank you.' Okay I get it. It's a videogame but the buildup and playthrough was too intense for such a soft ending. 

It would be neat to see Hyrule post-Ganon and be able to explore the world, especially the castle, restored.

Game wise it will probably go down as my favorite Zelda game and my second favorite videogame I've ever played. 

I don't know though. The ending bothered me though. No payoff. 

23 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I felt the ending was a little bit of a let down. The best they could do is have a two minute clip of Zelda saying 'Thank you.' Okay I get it. It's a videogame but the buildup and playthrough was too intense for such a soft ending. 

Reveal hidden contents

It would be neat to see Hyrule post-Ganon and be able to explore the world, especially the castle, restored.

Game wise it will probably go down as my favorite Zelda game and my second favorite videogame I've ever played. 

I don't know though. The ending bothered me though. No payoff. 

you spoiled the ending :facepalm:

Yeah, the ending is nothing special, a bit less than I expected, EVEN for zelda standards. I found this game somewhat lacking as a whole. It's not a disaster, it's a neat game, but it lacks some stuff, the dungeons are pretty creative, but it lacks more temple-like dungeons like in the old days.

Of course, some of the new features should be kept for new zelda and this does NOT include that stupid weapon durability system. I mean, you get Daruks signature weapon and... you break that huge sword after some lynels... that wouldn't be bad if the weapon didn't disapear once broke and there's no repair option... Bullshit!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Best Zelda game ever. I played it through the right way, no short-cuts. Took me about 60 days, at that I'm only 34% complete.

I still play doing side missions. I feel like I could play forever exploring new things. Might try the expansion pack coming out too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Have three shrines still to find. Haven't used the internet yet, but once you get beyond about 110, it sure does get a bit difficult because the world map is so huge, I'm just kinda wandering about seeing what I can stumble upon at this stage. I'm trying to finish all the shrines before I go to face Ganon, then I might see about the DLC.

Overall, I've loved it though. I was sceptical about abandoning a sequential story and doing away with some of the dungeons, but it ultimately worked really well and this is an awesome rendering of Hyrule.