Use your Illusion: Izzy Stradlin's Contributions

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

So you just assume they're splitting the money according to the old partnership agreement based on...? Yeah, just guessing.

The treatment of Axl, Slash and Duff lately is ridiculous? You must live in an alternative world. Criticizing something they've done is not the same as hating them. I don't like how they handled things with Steven at all (and you won't change that) but I still love them as much as it's actually possible. If you even doubt for a second how much they mean to me, then you're just guessing and talking out of your ass once again.

No, that statement in particular didn't annoy me at all. I do find it annoying that all you do is fighting everyone. I'm still waiting to see a positive comment from you about something.

No I'm not guessing, I know that they are using the partnership split. Cue insults about me claiming to be an "insider".

What did Axl, slash and duff do? You don't know you're just filling in the blanks with things you want to happen. 

What did Axl, slash and duff do to Steve and izzy for example?

Why do you need a positive comment from me? I'm still waiting for an intelligent one from you but I do understand you are under no obligation to provide me with one.

9 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

What did Axl, slash and duff do to Steve and izzy for example?

How many songs did Steven play in Argentina? Do you think he refused to play more?

9 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Why do you need a positive comment from me? I'm still waiting for an intelligent one from you but I do understand you are under no obligation to provide me with one.

You want what you'd consider an intelligent post? Here it goes: Axl Rose is God. No, wait, he's actually better than God!!

Now go away. And I don't need a positive comment from you, I was just proving you're a crybaby :cry:

• Like 1

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

How many songs did Steven play in Argentina? Do you think he refused to play more?

You want what you'd consider an intelligent post? Here it goes: Axl Rose is God. No, wait, he's actually better than God!!

Now go away. And I don't need a positive comment from you, I was just proving you're a crybaby :cry:

He played one song per night. No I don't think he refused to play more. Your two important questions are answered for you there. Is this a quiz? 

I don't agree with you at all, Axl Rose is not God nor is he better than God. Why do you think that? It's a little kooky.

Great work mate on proving I'm a cry baby. Great work on the name calling and the really important questions you put to me above. I enjoyed the quiz and the personal attacks the most. 

4 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

The article is great. Pretty accurate! I personally love Izzy's songs, they are simple and effective, and his lyrics are bitter and real. Dust and bones is my favorite song from UYI's, just a fucking rock n' roll masterpiece. :wub: I also love You could be mine, it's so AFD... and Pretty tied up is like the most underrated song ever. Well, yes, Izzy Stradlin's contributions to those albums were pretty impressive even though they buried him in the mix and you can barely hear him. So, until time proves me wrong (and it hadn't in 26 years): Guns n' roses cannot release a decent album without Izzy Stradlin, and that's just a fact so far. 

But, oh, who cares, he's got no stage presence. :facepalm:

Yeah, but, Axl was responsible for making the Izzy UYI tracks into the songs they were because didn't want to work on the songs to make them GNR level songs. Izzy had zero interest in developing songs to be worthy of global band. This fact was corraberated by Slash, too. Both Axl and Slash said getting Izzy to work on his songs was a bitch, so as great as Izzy can be, he need require Axl to bring his songs to the next level because Izzy himself did not care. A part of me loves that about Izzy, but if you no interest in making amazing music then you should be in a global band.

2 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I never stated duff is making "way less money". Not sure why you have to change what i wrote? If you are going to argue against something I said at least get what I said right. I stated that he was not making an equal amount to Slash and Axl. The partnership agreement is in the public domain, it has been for maybe 10 years now, it was released as part of a law suit. Go and find it and read it or don't go and find it and don't read it. I don't care what you do. But I'm talking out of my ass because you don't know something? Right? You are not educated on a certain matter so anyone who states something you don't know is full of shit? Mmmm... nice logic.

i don't want people to embrace the band as being perfect as it is. Again, never said that, not ever. If you don't like the band as it is, great, I don't give a fuck about it. Criticize what you want, just don't make things up and slander people because you aren't getting things your way, the treatment of Axl, Slash and duff lately is ridiculous.

oh sorry, mate, did that statement annoy you? Am i not allowed to critique something? Pot meet kettle.

Duff makes less money? Is this a fact? I'm not educated on those particulars. What is the percentage?

1 hour ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Maybe he should have thought about that before, ya know, when he was throwing everyone under the bus in interviews and taking smack? No? Frank isn't doing either and has been in the band for more than 10 years, maybe if Steven had that work ethic he wouldn't be a rockstar without a band. AC/DC didn't want Steven either, despite liking his playing, he's clearly a liability that people are scared to take a chance on. 

Guns have done this a gesture of goodwill for Steven and just as Axl imagined many years ago it's full of drama and nonsense and has ended badly.

Axl did say in the past that dealing with Steven brought "ambulance chasing lawyers and the nightmare of Stevens mother", which ended up being true because his mom authored a book as soon as she heard her son would have some involvement in the reunion. Axl, also went out of his way to bring Steven to an after party and personally apologize to his face for being denied entry to one of the early nu-guns concerts. That is a classy move no matter how a person views it. Axl extended olive branches to heal his relationship with Steven and it's always been reciprocated with shit. That's ays a lot about Steven as a person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

He should get some money every time someone buys an Illusions album or something. 

i think he still gets royalty checks for anything he has his name on. (in this case his name is on Illusions so he pulls a check from that) somebody correct me if im wrong? him not being in the partnership i believe only means he doesn't get anything off the Guns N' Roses brand (for example, merchandise sales) and has zero say in anything they do. if he did indeed relinquish his writing credits that was a pretty dumb move.  

Edited by -W.A.R-

5 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

i think he still gets royalty checks for anything with he had a hand in and has his name on. (in this case his name is on Illusions so he pulls a check from that) 

It's wild that he sold his stake in that partnership. I wonder if he regrets it. Do you know what he sold his share for?

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

And Fortus looks like he's having a stroke/orgasm onstage. Different strokes and all that.

Bingo. Moving past all the other drama, the band just sounds better with him. 

It makes you wonder what Axl was thinking when he brought in Zakk Wylde as a possible replacement. Jesus. 

Even now, GnR has two lead guitarists in the band.

yes, yes, yes and yes! especially the first statement.

5 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I would say that an Izzy song is a song that Izzy wrote by himself or at least the other members' input was minimal.

The same goes with the Axl songs. All the other songs are a joint effort. Neither Izzy's nor Axl's solely.

I don't disagree that Izzy wrote the skeleton of a big portion of the GNR catalogue,

but on the other hand, one could say that the additions made by the others were very significant, since Izzy wrote rather simple stuff.

Even Slash has said that Axl always knew how to take a simple Izzy structure and convert it into a great song.

And also imo the lyrics and the melody of a song are as important as the music.

So I consider Coma and Locomotive Slash and Axl songs for example, even though they originated from Slash.

The solo is also very important as you said, but that goes for the Izzy songs as well. For example, DTJ is an Izzy-Slash song for me. I don't go by the credits.

Izzy had one of the most basic parts in the songwriting, but even without him they wrote great songs.

Axl was a better lyricist and wrote far more musically versatile and deeper songs.

We aren't talking about Axl or Slash or Duff solo albums, since they are together the 3 of them now.

I think that they were (are?) fully capable of making a great album without Izzy, considering all the non-Izzy songs on the Illusions.

This clip to me kinda sums up Izzy to me, that little bridge after the solo in Paradise City (discussed around 9:34). I mean it's two power chords that if you heard them on their own you'd be like "whoopee do", but in the context of the song it just had to be there and Slash can lay his little waltzy bit over the top. It works both ways in that Izzy had this cool little simple idea but Slash made it into something even cooler and more memorable, whereas before all the Sunset Strip blowhards Izzy was jamming with before wouldn't have know what to do with it.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Duff makes less money? Is this a fact? I'm not educated on those particulars. What is the percentage?

I don't have the percentages of the partnership in front me but the 3 way split is not equal it was worked out between them on what they thought was fair and Axl got the most, Slash second and duff the least. This came out when the partnership details were included in a law suit Slash and duff filed against Axl around 10 years ago I think.

23 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I don't have the percentages of the partnership in front me but the 3 way split is not equal it was worked out between them on what they thought was fair and Axl got the most, Slash second and duff the least. This came out when the partnership details were included in a law suit Slash and duff filed against Axl around 10 years ago I think.

Are the percentages from the partnership from a past agreement? Because if there isn't a equal split among those 3 for the current tour profits then Izzy doesn't have a solid argument about "equal loot" if Duff is taking less than the other two.

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Yeah, but, Axl was responsible for making the Izzy UYI tracks into the songs they were because didn't want to work on the songs to make them GNR level songs. Izzy had zero interest in developing songs to be worthy of global band. This fact was corraberated by Slash, too. Both Axl and Slash said getting Izzy to work on his songs was a bitch, so as great as Izzy can be, he need require Axl to bring his songs to the next level because Izzy himself did not care. A part of me loves that about Izzy, but if you no interest in making amazing music then you should be in a global band.

I think that works both ways, to be honest. Izzy needs Axl and Axl needs Izzy. When you mix Izzy's simple rock n' roll style with Axl's a little more intricate one, the magic happens.

• Like 1

Nobody gets there aren't such things like Izzy songs or Axl songs in GNR. It was all a band effort and no single song would sound quite the same as it does when solely written by just one person without the input of the other guys.

Only exception is My World.