Use your Illusion: Izzy Stradlin's Contributions

On 3/9/2017 at 7:26 PM, Archtop said:

One of my favourite songs is you ain't the first, I love the rawness, never gets enough love, so I guess I'm in a minority here. 

the confused looks i tend to get when i pick up a guitar at a party and say 'let me play you a GN'R song...'

There are many reasons to love You Ain't the First.

• Like 1

When use your illusion first came out YOU ain't the first was immediately one of my top songs.

And everyone I came across at my college like that song.

I was surprised people here think the song is subpar.

Maybe it's the industrial rock people who don't like it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

When use your illusion first came out YOU ain't the first was immediately one of my top songs.

And everyone I came across at my college like that song.

I was surprised people here think the song is subpar.

Maybe it's the industrial rock people who don't like it

i never really knew it was izzy, he sounds sort of like axl on this song to a certain degree, is axl singing as well in background or is that just duff? 

3 minutes ago, ES175 said:

Also, Did Izzy play the opening solo to Back Off Bitch? It's definitely his tone. definitely his most prominent solo, if not his best (i prefer the nightrain solo). 

Yeah intro solo on Back Off Bitch and last solo on Estranged 

Edited by Izzy_Toronto

7 minutes ago, Izzy_Toronto said:

Izzy has rhythm and lead guitars credit on Estranged. Last solo doesn't sound like Slash. Sounds very loose....must be Izzy

The last solo on Estranged is Slash

No way that is Izzy 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Izzy_Toronto said:

Izzy has rhythm and lead guitars credit on Estranged. Last solo doesn't sound like Slash. Sounds very loose....must be Izzy

Not that I think Izzy couldn't come up with a killer solo (I always expect nothing but amazing things from Izzy) but that solo definitely sounds like Slash to me. I'm 124% sure it's him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Not that I think Izzy couldn't come up with a killer solo (I always expect nothing but amazing things from Izzy) but that solo definitely sounds like Slash to me. I'm 124% sure it's him.

124% lol. You're probably right.  Maybe a typo on the liner notes

I googled Estranged

It credits izzy with additional lead guitar, so at some point in the same there is a lead with izzy.

Don't understand the obsession wi5h minimizing izzy s contribution.

Is there some sort of cult that bashes everyone that they perceive out of favor with Axl?

7 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

I googled Estranged

It credits izzy with additional lead guitar, so at some point in the same there is a lead with izzy.

Is there some sort of cult that bashes everyone that they perceive out of favor with Axl?

There's a video on YouTube with top 20 Guns N Roses riffs. 10 of the songs were Izzy riffs. When you have one of most recognized and talented lead guitarists in the world, it's hard to think about Izzy but the true fans know who he was and is

18 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

I googled Estranged

I guess some can say the opposite as well. Everyone is part of GN'R's success in writing good music. without Axl it would not be guns and without Izzy, Slash,Duff or Adler (sorum) it would not have sounded the same either. Despite some wrote the majority everyone in the band were still as much valuable for the finished product.

Izzy is the very fabric of guns n' roses, Izzy was the filter that everybody went through.  it's clear in axl, slash and duff's solo albums what their strengths and weaknesses are.  izzy's solo work has the "feel" of guns n' roses in it, the heart and soul.  anyone who tries to make izzy a minimal part is a clown and knows nothing about writing and playing.   izzy was vital to EVERYTHING gnr did and was.   izzy was the guy.  period.  would love to see him be the guy again.  

his contributions to the "illusion" records was how he underplayed it - his singing and writing.  izzy grounded those records and made the room for the theater of the bigger songs.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

I guess some can say the opposite as well. Everyone is part of GN'R's success in writing good music. without Axl it would not be guns and without Izzy, Slash,Duff or Adler (sorum) it would not have sounded the same either. Despite some wrote the majority everyone in the band were still as much valuable for the finished product.

I don't disagree.  You're 100% corr3ct.

But n the situation is that izzy and Adler are in the trash bin so it's only natural for people including myself to serve as champions for them.  It's only natural.  I don't understand the need to bash band members just because of axl worshipm

Personally zeppelin always will be my favorite band but I don't worship any of the member nor do I view any of them as gods or any blasphemous thing like that.  I like band as a whole and I don't favor any one person over the other.  I may champion bonham or jpj but that's again a naturtle reaction to them being less in the public limelight.

Certainly if Robert Plant is mad at john Paul Jones I wouldn't start bashing the contributions of the one who I may disagree with in the controversy.  

Th3 mentality of the Axl worshipers seems very 5th grade to me and it's tiresome to read.  I don't have any interest in any of the drivel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnumpi said:

I don't disagree.  You're 100% corr3ct.

But n the situation is that izzy and Adler are in the trash bin so it's only natural for people including myself to serve as champions for them.  It's only natural.  I don't understand the need to bash band members just because of axl worshipm

Personally zeppelin always will be my favorite band but I don't worship any of the member nor do I view any of them as gods or any blasphemous thing like that.  I like band as a whole and I don't favor any one person over the other.  I may champion bonham or jpj but that's again a naturtle reaction to them being less in the public limelight.

Certainly if Robert Plant is mad at john Paul Jones I wouldn't start bashing the contributions of the one who I may disagree with in the controversy.  

Th3 mentality of the Axl worshipers seems very 5th grade to me and it's tiresome to read.  I don't have any interest in any of the drivel.

It's true no Guns album wouldn't be what it was without the entire band but in regards to the tour you would think the original 5 would do the tour. They owed it to the fans. Obviously those Net Worth sites that pins the artists as multi-millionaires are false. They need the money some more than others. The promoters should have insisted that Izzy be part of the equation. An album would follow suit. Hopefully Axl does a solid and involve Izzy in the American leg on the tour

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, magnumpi said:

I googled Estranged

I have no idea what you're talking about. I would even say some people here can't stand me because of how much I've supported Izzy and Steven.

Izzy's contributions are amazing and there would be GNR without him, I'm absolutely sure of that but that last Estranged solo is still Slash. Check the live versions of the song, he plays the solo and plays it the same way. Slash never took over Izzy's leads live, not even after he quit. Gilby was still playing that cool little lead part on the Jungle intro, also playing Nightrain's first part of the first solo.

I don't know what those "additional lead guitar" parts were but certainly not the solos, that's out there to see. Still, I totally miss Izzy and I wish he was back. Guns N' Roses doesn't really make sense without him, even if they still sound awesome because there are two living legend in the band right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I would even say some people here can't stand me because of how much I've supported Izzy and Steven.

Izzy's contributions are amazing and there would be GNR without him, I'm absolutely sure of that but that last Estranged solo is still Slash. Check the live versions of the song, he plays the solo and plays it the same way. Slash never took over Izzy's leads live, not even after he quit. Gilby was still playing that cool little lead part on the Jungle intro, also playing Nightrain's first part of the first solo.

I don't know what those "additional lead guitar" parts were but certainly not the solos, that's out there to see. Still, I totally miss Izzy and I wish he was back. Guns N' Roses doesn't really make sense without him, even if they still sound awesome because there are two living legend in the band right now.

I wasent really referring to you.

It was more about the drivel by moon mut and his double account Evan that's plagued mutiple threads. I'm sure there's others too but I don't pay attention to their names.

I came here hoping to get some positive news on izzy and Steven not read repetitive nonsense from paid shills

3:57 & 4:41 sound like Izzy to me... Is that possibly what they're referring to in the credits? The solo at the end is definitely slash, though.

Edited by Kris_1989

1 minute ago, magnumpi said:

I wasent really referring to you.

It was more about the drivel by moon mut and his double account Evan that's plagued mutiple threads. I'm sure there's others too but I don't pay attention to their names.

I came here hoping to get some positive news on izzy and Steven not read repetitive nonsense from paid shills

Well, I agree with you overall. It's really sad and annoying how the Izzy threads on the main section get instantly turned into negative shit by people who either wants to downplay his importance to the band or who acknoledges how vital he was but want us to see the whole thing as a business thing.

I mean, Izzy wrote a positive tweet thanking this forum for the support and some people got mad at him and accused him of starting a fire. That's fucked up and delusional. If you don't like Izzy, there are plenty of threads were the conversations don't revolve around him, why come to the Izzy threads to throw shit at him? Once I get it, you're giving your opinion, but ten different times? If you don't like him, what's the motivation? Those of us who love him will continue to do so, no matter what they say.

4 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

3:57 & 4:41 sound like Izzy to me... Is that possibly what they're referring to in the credits? The solo at the end is definitely slash, though.

Yeah, that seems way more plausible to me. Made me think of the leads he plays while Slash plays the arpeggiated intros on My Michelle and Civil War. I wish there were more of those Izzy things on the Illusions but as the king of groove says, it is what it is.

• Like 1