You Could Be Mine- Epitome of GNR Writing?

i would agree is one of the quintessential songs of GNR but they were so diverse its hard to pin them to one song and say this represents them.

the closet song that comes to doing that is Rocket Queen as its half rocker half ballad.

• Like 4

I don't know about that, it's really hard to tell. This is my favorite song and the one that made me fall in love with the band, though.

I agree with everything you said about the drums. I prefer Steven over Matt by far but I think this song is probably Matt's best performance ever and it sounds absolutely brilliant with him. Duff's bass sounds just perfect (I still prefer SCOM and Rocket Queen's intro basslines, though). The guitars rock hard and are kinda catchy at the same time. Slash has better solos but this one is fn' mean and fits the song perfectly. And Axl... what he does on this song is just insane. He's the MVP in a song where everybody shines. Gives me chills to hear him singing this song both on studio and live through the UYI tour.

Again, it's hard/impossible to tell because they have many brilliant songs but this one's definitely special to me. Eternally grateful to Izzy for this gem :heart:

Yeah. My favorite UYI song together with Dust and bones. It's just the perfect song. Everything falls in its place at the right time and every instrument sounds amazing. The intro still gives me chills after all this time and, while I love Steven Adler and I'll defend his groove and talent until my dying day, I cannot take away from Matt the wonderful job he does behind the drum kit on this song.

• Like 2

I agree with what @-W.A.R- said. It's hard to pick a song and say it represents them because they have such a diverse (albeit small) catalogue. 

That said, for me personally it has to be either Nightrain or Coma. Nightrain has the sleazy Slash/Izzy guitar sound that we all know and love and it's not about anything complex. Amazing rock song, IMO.

Coma is their masterpiece though. Lyrically brilliant and Slash's guitar work is in another league on this one.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Great example of the band coming together and collaborating to make an amazing GnR song. 

I love the chorus refrain at the end -- iirc, it's Izzy singing background vocals. 

Yeah, it's definitely him. Probably Duff too but you can clearly hear Izzy. Love that part too. 

I hold it up as my all time favorite GN'R song, as well as the one that broke my cherry. It was my introduction to the band when I saw T2 for the very first time.

It's the perfect confluence of the members. 

With that said. I can't say a live version of it has ever lived up to the studio cut. This is because of how demanding of a song it is for Axl. As he explained to Eddie Trunk, "the first time I had to sing You Could Be Mine, I said to myself 'what have I done!?'" 

I've always considered it a song that resonated more with hardcore GNR fans than casual fans, despite the fact it was released as a single.  

In some ways, I think it fits what was going on with AFD more so than the Illusion albums.  It has its own identity; you know what you're hearing as soon as you hear Duff's bass line.  Great song.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:08 AM, Magnus Cavalerra said:

If somehow this song along with DC were in AFD replacing TAY or AG, AFD would've been flawless.

I really love Think About You and Anything Goes just fits the whole sex,drugs and rockn'roll style of AFD  perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing from AFD

• Like 1

it probably is the best combination of GN'R songwriting, axl's singing, slash/izzy guitar interplay, and yes, that video is phenomenal. woke me up to GN'R back in the day. 

By the way, does anyone know what that thanks to Elton John and Bernie Taupin in the liner notes was all about?

Edited by ES175