You Could Be Mine- Epitome of GNR Writing?

On 12/03/2017 at 4:08 AM, Magnus Cavalerra said:

If somehow this song along with DC were in AFD replacing TAY or AG, AFD would've been flawless.

Disagree with this, Don't Cry would've totally disrupted the flow of Appetite in my opinion. YCBM could replace one of the two you mention, or maybe You're Crazy, but for me Appetite is flawless as it is. In terms of YCBM, it's right up there, but there are a few on Appetite I'd put ahead of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Get In the Ring Motherfker said:

I really love Think About You and Anything Goes just fits the whole sex,drugs and rockn'roll style of AFD  perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing from AFD

Me too! I love both of them and AFD is perfect the way it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Get In the Ring Motherfker said:

I really love Think About You and Anything Goes just fits the whole sex,drugs and rockn'roll style of AFD  perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing from AFD

i agree.  the record is perfect as is.  with giants like "jungle" "Sweet child" and "paradise city" the record would have been too crowded with a monster like ycbm or november rain.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Get In the Ring Motherfker said:

If you like em, that's okay, i just think TAY and AG were good song, but there's a quality drop when compared to the monster like the others.

5 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Disagree with this, Don't Cry would've totally disrupted the flow of Appetite in my opinion. YCBM could replace one of the two you mention, or maybe You're Crazy, but for me Appetite is flawless as it is. In terms of YCBM, it's right up there, but there are a few on Appetite I'd put ahead of it.

Nah, it will be okay, it'll give em more variety without drastically alter the experience. DC is far better song than TAY or AG, for me AFD is not flawless because of the both song. Just think Don't Cry demo, that's thing fit 100% to AFD.

8 hours ago, ES175 said:

it probably is the best combination of GN'R songwriting, axl's singing, slash/izzy guitar interplay, and yes, that video is phenomenal. woke me up to GN'R back in the day. 

By the way, does anyone know what that thanks to Elton John and Bernie Taupin in the liner notes was all about?

It's to do with the "I think we've seen that movie too" line, based on Elton's 'I've seen that movie too' song.

8 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

If you like em, that's okay, i just think TAY and AG were good song, but there's a quality drop when compared to the monster like the others.

Nah, it will be okay, it'll give em more variety without drastically alter the experience. DC is far better song than TAY or AG, for me AFD is not flawless because of the both song. Just think Don't Cry demo, that's thing fit 100% to AFD.

I think Appetite works so well mainly because it's non-stop from start to finish. Unlike most bands of that era who felt the need to put a ballad or two onto a record, there's a reason Guns held DC back for UYI. The only slight gear change on AFD is SCOM and it's still a rocker really, it was enough to see the lighter side of the band while keeping the record moving along at pretty much the same pace. Anyway, back to YCBM, I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time after what back then seemed like an age waiting for new material :lol:, THAT intro, the way it built up into the main riff was epic! It was a progression and you just knew they had become the biggest band in the world.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2017 at 7:30 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I agree with what @-W.A.R- said. It's hard to pick a song and say it represents them because they have such a diverse (albeit small) catalogue. 

That said, for me personally it has to be either Nightrain or Coma. Nightrain has the sleazy Slash/Izzy guitar sound that we all know and love and it's not about anything complex. Amazing rock song, IMO.

Coma is their masterpiece though. Lyrically brilliant and Slash's guitar work is in another league on this one.

Nightrain would be one of my picks that top it too, so much attitude in that song. I agree it's almost impossible to say one song best represents them but if we're talking something with both the hard/soft side of the band, then Rocket Queen definitely does that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Agree. AfD is the oerfect example of "the sum is greater than its parts ". Id argue GNR had better songs at times on UYI, but as a whole record, AfD is perfect. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 5:53 AM, Riad99 said:

If you look up RIR 91 you get a good idea of what the song would sound like with just Izzy on vocals when Axl's mic goes out and he carrys the song for a bit. 

Yes! I have always thought this too.. you can definitely imagine how the song would have started as an Izzy penned basic structure here, with him on vocals and less heavy / distorted guitar.. it's interesting..

Listening to Matt open this song you just know the song is going to go high octane and everyone plays their part. It's almost crazy how Axl nails the last chorus whilst Slash takes you along with Axl for the ride, Duff compliments the whole thing perfectly from start to finish! 

I agree it's a monster song and AFD didn't need another monster, it's flow is perfect, and although YCBM was still written around that time, the song itself just epitomises illusions for me, there was so much diversity on those albums and I'm really happy it helped carried illusions and as someone else said it really did confirm guns as No1 at the time. 

I always saw it and civil war as brothers, both tracks (as well as DC, NR) really are the epitome of what the illusions were, so diverse and yet epic in their own way. 

Never gets boring listening to them for me! 

2 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Listening to Matt open this song you just know the song is going to go high octane and everyone plays their part. It's almost crazy how Axl nails the last chorus whilst Slash takes you along with Axl for the ride, Duff compliments the whole thing perfectly from start to finish! 

I agree it's a monster song and AFD didn't need another monster, it's flow is perfect, and although YCBM was still written around that time, the song itself just epitomises illusions for me, there was so much diversity on those albums and I'm really happy it helped carried illusions and as someone else said it really did confirm guns as No1 at the time. 

I always saw it and civil war as brothers, both tracks (as well as DC, NR) really are the epitome of what the illusions were, so diverse and yet epic in their own way. 

Never gets boring listening to them for me! 

Well said! Agree word for word. I could also listen to it daily...hearing it played live for the very first time last summer was just awesome! 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 2:01 PM, bucketfoot said:

Apparently YCBM and Patience replaced Anything Goes and Think about You on Axl's re-recorded AFD w/ NU Guns. I guess he didn't feel that Don't Cry made the cut either. 

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

Well said! Agree word for word. I could also listen to it daily...hearing it played live for the very first time last summer was just awesome! 

I know a lot will disagree, but i really love the Tokyo 92 performance of YCBM, Axl absolutely nails it. I could watch that all day, I could also watch jungle from that show all day too. That show gets a lot of negative feed back here but I honestly love it, start to finish! Wish more pro shot stuff from that era was released officially! 

Edited by Tadsy