Detroit 2002

3 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The 2002 band is the best iteration of the new lineup by far for multiple reasons but let's not kid ourselves that the 2006 band was pretty incredible.

Axl returns in proper form looking and singing like a bad ass rockstar, performing 3 awesome new tunes from the album, and with a release promised.

I think the Rubicon was when Robin left but the 2009-2012 bands were largely a great performing apparatus in their own right.

Yeah, I can get behind this. As weird as the 2001-2002 lineup was, thats the band that made CD.

The 2001 shows are really the gold standard for the nu band. They are pretty dang solid in Rio 3 and the HOB bootleg recordings are great. I can't stand Paul Tobias but he is less distracting onstage than Fortus. His low key style (like Izzy) fits better. 

The dragon shirts may not be perfect but they are so much better than the jersey. No braids either.

The band has degraded consistently from those '01 shows imho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

The 2001 shows are really the gold standard for the nu band. They are pretty dang solid in Rio 3 and the HOB bootleg recordings are great. I can't stand Paul Tobias but he is less distracting onstage than Fortus. His low key style (like Izzy) fits better. 

The dragon shirts may not be perfect but they are so much better than the jersey. No braids either.

The band has degraded consistently from those '01 shows imho.

Fortus doesn't bother me nearly as much he does you, but I totally get where you're coming from. There's just something about the dude I like but I can understand how all the windmill-ing and attacking of his guitar could be very off-putting for others. At that Detroit show, I think I was just so distraught overall Buckets entire schtick that anything past him was acceptable :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Fortus doesn't bother me nearly as much he does you, but I totally get where you're coming from. There's just something about the dude I like but I can understand how all the windmill-ing and attacking of his guitar could be very off-putting for others. At that Detroit show, I think I was just so distraught overall Buckets entire schtick that anything past him was acceptable :lol:

It's funny you mention Bucket -- I'm a huge fan of his, but I completely forgot about his shtick until I saw this boot. The nunchucks, the rubber chickens...holy shit :facepalm:. Love Bucket but come on man, this is Guns N' Roses :lol:

I couldn't see this version of the band lasting long even if things had gone according to plan though. Buckethead is an avant-garde guitarist...it would have been hard to keep him interested musically unless Axl had really pushed the music way far from what was expected by fans. No amount of building dogshit smelling chicken coops for Bucket would have changed that. 

That being said -  one of my favorite Bucket Jams 

Edited by RONIN

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2017 at 1:32 AM, RONIN said:

It's funny you mention Bucket -- I'm a huge fan of his, but I completely forgot about his shtick until I saw this boot. The nunchucks, the rubber chickens...holy shit :facepalm:. Love Bucket but come on man, this is Guns N' Roses :lol:

I couldn't see this version of the band lasting long even if things had gone according to plan though. Buckethead is an avant-garde guitarist...it would have been hard to keep him interested musically unless Axl had really pushed the music way far from what was expected by fans. No amount of building dogshit smelling chicken coops for Bucket would have changed that. 

That being said -  one of my favorite Bucket Jams 

Agreed it is fucking sweet

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gjrip said:

And the video's pulled lol.

DAMMIT! I loved having the whole show to just take a look at whenever I wanted. I have the bootleg DVD around somewhere but who knows where it is now. 

On 19.3.2017 at 11:00 PM, Wagszilla said:

The 2002 band is the best iteration of the new lineup by far for multiple reasons but let's not kid ourselves that the 2006 band was pretty incredible.

Every line-up until '07 was incredible. It went downhill after DJ Ashba was hired. 

The 2002 line-up had the best chemistry. Robin, Richard, Tommy and Brain had known each other even before their time in GN'R. 

On ‎17‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 7:38 AM, RONIN said:

*Finck sucks with the old stuff but he's good on his material which is to be expected I suppose.

I like his solos on songs like It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone and Sweet Child O'Mine. They're different, yes. But it's the same with Slash's solos on CD

On 19/03/2017 at 7:28 PM, RussTCB said:

Hull was a Red Wing at the time, right? In any case, the Hull and Wallace jerseys seem to be whatever was laying around for Axl to wear because they're Detroit lol

On 19/03/2017 at 9:28 PM, Modano09 said:

He was, it was just a stacked team and when you think of the Red Wings you don't think Brett Hull. Seemed like a random choice. Axl in hockey jerseys is odd anyway because I know throwbacks and jerseys were trendy at the time, but hockey jerseys never really were.

Makes you think how it was on the backstages in 2002.

Every venue, pre-show, Merck/Beta pops the question.

"Got any hometown jerseys lying around... y'know, baggy?"

Somebody was called fat yesteryear and took to heart. :(

I was there too and have so many of the same memories.  Is this the shirt you're talking about?  (Sorry, the image isn't showing up.  The shirt with the big, yellow Chinese dragon?)

Edited by misfitx77
Pic isn't showing