2 hours ago, Jungle-Natives said:

It was a speedball, a combination of coke and heroin.

Deanna has taken Axl's announcement out of context. She makes it sound like Axl announced to the world live on the MTV Awards that Steven was fired, when in fact it was a feature interview with Axl and his backyard that was aired during the awards ceremony, it's easy to find, it's called 'famous last words', he said some negative things but I don't recall if he actually said Steve was out of the band officially on it.

Yeah but isn't that a clip they played in the 1992 VMA's? :question:

I remember watching that live and direct but by the time Steven was long gone from the band.

It has to be the VMA's from 1989 or is it 1988 when they played Jungle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Yeah but isn't that a clip they played in the 1992 VMA's? :question:

I remember watching that live and direct but by the time Steven was long gone from the band.

It has to be the VMA's from 1989 or is it 1988 when they played Jungle?

But then Steven was still in the band and there wasn't even a question of his place ibeing in jeopardy or anything like that.

I think @Jungle-Natives is right. Axl never made a public "announcement" about Steven's firing, let alone in an awards show. He only talked about it in the first interview with Kurt Loder. The clip about Steven from that interview was aired during the 1992 awards show. If Mrs. Adler heard then for the first time that Steven was out of the band (with the reason being drugs, which she also said she heard for the first time I think), it's maybe because she wasn't in any contact with him during that whole period (I think she has said that). so she didn't know what he was doing.

Edited by Blackstar

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But then Steven was still in the band and there wasn't even a question of his place ibeing in jeopardy or anything like that.

I think @Jungle-Natives is right. Axl never made a public "announcement" about Steven's firing, let alone in an awards show. He only talked about it in the first interview with Kurt Loder. The clip about Steven from that interview was aired during the 1992 awards show. If Mrs. Adler heard then for the first time that Steven was out of the band (with the reason being drugs, which she also said she heard for the first time I think), it's maybe because she wasn't in any contact with him during that whole period (I think she has said that). so she didn't know what he was doing.

Yeah. That makes sense.

I also don't remember Axl saying such thing or even talking in a VMA's thing, except for the 1992 one, but as we said before, dates don't match.

I just wanted to give Mrs. Adler the benefit of the doubt but I guess she's just mistaken an interview with an awards show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yeah. That makes sense.

I also don't remember Axl saying such thing or even talking in a VMA's thing, except for the 1992 one, but as we said before, dates don't match.

I just wanted to give Mrs. Adler the benefit of the doubt but I guess she's just mistaken an interview with an awards show.

Like everyone I am guessing she was talking about the "Famous Last Words" interview. I've searched, but I cannot find when it aired. There was an article that cited a quote as coming from the interview with a date of the interview being August 31, 1990. I am not sure if that was when the interview was taped or when it aired. Maybe they aired the interview or parts of it before/during/after the MTV awards show in September?

That might have been when she personally might have first learned of it. Or at least was no longer able to deny it. Steven was fired in July, so that would only have been two or so months so it isn't a crazy long amount of time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Like everyone I am guessing she was talking about the "Famous Last Words" interview. I've searched, but I cannot find when it aired. There was an article that cited a quote as coming from the interview with a date of the interview being August 31, 1990. I am not sure if that was when the interview was taped or when it aired. Maybe they aired the interview or parts of it before/during/after the MTV awards show in September?

That might have been when she personally might have first learned of it. Or at least was no longer able to deny it. Steven was fired in July, so that would only have been two or so months so it isn't a crazy long amount of time.

2 hours ago, Jungle-Natives said:

Yes, she was correct about it being 1990. I should know this, but I can't confirm, but I believe the famous last words interview was aired before the "90 MTV Awards.

I believe too that the "Famous Last Words" interview was aired before the 1990 awards show. However, I don't think it was related in any way with the show, because GnR weren't nominated that year and they didn't perform or present anything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_MTV_Video_Music_Awards

It wouldn't make sense for parts of the interview to be aired during that show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I believe too that the "Famous Last Words" interview was aired before the 1990 awards show. However, I don't think it was related in any way with the show, because GnR weren't nominated that year and they didn't perform or present anything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_MTV_Video_Music_Awards

It wouldn't make sense for parts of the interview to be aired during that show.

Okay I'm going to be admittedly speculative, remember that by 1990 GNR were bigger than ever and the lack of activity made the public even hungrier. So an Axl interview would make perfect sense to air witn the MTV Awards, because it was an exclusive band update. It would certainly be a ratings boost, and fill the void of not having the world's most popular rock group featured in any other capacity.

13 minutes ago, Jungle-Natives said:

Okay I'm going to be admittedly speculative, remember that by 1990 GNR were bigger than ever and the lack of activity made the public even hungrier. So an Axl interview would make perfect sense to air witn the MTV Awards, because it was an exclusive band update. It would certainly be a ratings boost, and fill the void of not having the world's most popular rock group featured in any other capacity.

Yes, I guess it can't be ruled out, although the wikipedia page lists also all the appearances during the show, including clips and interviews aired, and Axl is not listed. Maybe it was aired before the show.

Edited by Blackstar

5 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I believe the date you present is correct because that's the year Axl moved to that house with Erin and the "Famous Last Words" interview was done in that house.

Either way, GN'R did not play in the VMA's of 1990 and I dont think such a lengthy heavy interview would have been aired during the show, knowing how quick and fast the segments of VMA's (and any other show like that) are.

Steven's mother is confused about the dates, the interview and the VMA's so I dont think we will figure it out because she's just simply mistaken :shrugs:

19 hours ago, Jungle-Natives said:

It was a speedball, a combination of coke and heroin.

Deanna has taken Axl's announcement out of context. She makes it sound like Axl announced to the world live on the MTV Awards that Steven was fired, when in fact it was a feature interview with Axl and his backyard that was aired during the awards ceremony, it's easy to find, it's called 'famous last words', he said some negative things but I don't recall if he actually said Steve was out of the band officially on it.

I know re: the speedball, but I can only go off what she says in the book re: her own son, which is that he had the stroke as a result of a heroin-induced coma and that the speedball was a separate incident. Again, just reporting. I know the history that's been reported, as well, but the question was about her book, not fact-checking it cuz that would be a different story -- every GN'R book, whether by a band member or a former insider like Mick Wall is, generally, has been revisionist history. Which is unfortunate, but thanks to fans like you, hopefully we can all write the real history in forums like this! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I believe the date you present is correct because that's the year Axl moved to that house with Erin and the "Famous Last Words" interview was done in that house.

Either way, GN'R did not play in the VMA's of 1990 and I dont think such a lengthy heavy interview would have been aired during the show, knowing how quick and fast the segments of VMA's (and any other show like that) are.

Steven's mother is confused about the dates, the interview and the VMA's so I dont think we will figure it out because she's just simply mistaken :shrugs:

i know what interview shes talking about 

it's the one that appears with kurt loder axl in his backyard or something and saying steven was with dangerous people and drugged out, it mustve been 1991 or whenever before they started filming don't cry video 

52 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i know what interview shes talking about 

it's the one that appears with kurt loder axl in his backyard or something and saying steven was with dangerous people and drugged out, it mustve been 1991 or whenever before they started filming don't cry video 

There is footage like that in the making of the don't cry video, with Axl in his garden. That interview was also shown on tv? And MTV before being included in the making of?

Edited by MADDOGJONES

Great interview. I personally haven't read the book. I have a friend who picked it up thinking it would be more about GnR due to the title but he and his wife ended up giving the book to someone they thought could benefit. They said it was a good book for families dealing with addicts or even an addict still struggling.

It seems they alluded to him having back issues that may inhibit him playing and rehearsing on a regular basis. Anything new on that you can add?

I'm happy Steven seemed to get himself better. No matter my thoughts and opinions on how things went down he will always be GnR to me. 

On 13 de marzo de 2017 at 2:30 AM, MADDOGJONES said:

There is footage like that in the making of the don't cry video, with Axl in his garden. That interview was also shown on tv? And MTV before being included in the making of?

I don't think that interview is shown in the making of the Don't Cry video. It is from an MTV's show that was called "Famous Last Words".