Tommy Stinson's Interview with Eric Blair

5 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Eric Blair has done so many fantastic interviews with some of my favorites. I always look forward to them. His taste and knowledge is very diverse unlike say Eddie Trunk

He gives the question and stays out of the way while they talk. I think that is the way interviews should go. If you have a follow up question wait until they are done then ask it. Don't interrupt the person you are interviewing to add your own input or try to put words into their mouths.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

He gives the question and stays out of the way while they talk. I think that is the way interviews should go. If you have a follow up question wait until they are done then ask it. Don't interrupt the person you are interviewing to add your own input or try to put words into their mouths.

Yup would love it if Axl and the rest of the guys became aware of Eric Blair and sought him out for a real in depth interview. It would definitely go down as the most in depth interview they've ever done I think 

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Wow, reading all of these posts in this thread sure backs up Axl's theory of NUGNR being the most stable lineup ever :lol:

When did Axl share the theory that NUGNR was the most stable lineup ever? Never?

Edited by MADDOGJONES

Ron played on Goin Down in the end though which is a Tommy song. 

I wonder now if Finck left out of frustration of Ron recording on CD. 

It seems that inside the band they were happy with Finck/Fortus. 

10 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

When did Axl share the theory that NUGNR was the most stable lineup ever?

Wasn't that Dizzy? He said the last line up was the best GNR line up he was in. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Ron played on Goin Down in the end though which is a Tommy song. 

Wasn't that Dizzy? He said the last line up was the best GNR line up he was in. 

Dizzy definitely said that, but I'm wondering when Axl shared his "theory that NUGNR was the most stable lineup ever", as @Billsfan wrote. Seems a strange thing for Axl or Billsfan to say since there is more than one NUGNR lineup and as far as I know Axl never said any such thing, so I'm wondering if Billsfan can clear up what they mean exactly., bill?

Edited by MADDOGJONES

8 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Eric Blair has done so many fantastic interviews with some of my favorites. I always look forward to them. His taste is very diverse and he's very knowledgeable unlike say Eddie Trunk

The guy knows his shit. He's done three interviews with Dio (1998,2002 and 2007) that I love watching, Dio loved him. John 5 was also stunned at the end of his interview how good Eric Blair is, he knows everything.

• Like 1

Tommy tells it like it is. I really liked this interview. Not earth shattering stuff, but you kinda get the picture.

Even with basically a supergroup, the bass player from a respected punk band, the guitar player from NIN, 2 of the best drummers in the world, and Bucket, I believe Slash has a signature sound that is as much a part of Guns as Axl's vocals.

It made me define it better in my head: Axl and Slash melodies form together a strong element, it's like it goes so well together it becomes like one channel. What could be better?

On Appetite it was especially incredible cause you had 3 unique combinations of elements: Adler and Duff, Slash and Izzy guitar interplay, and Axl and Slash melodies.

A lot of my favorite bands have that. Frank fucks up I see him. But knowing how he sounds live I can say it's not all bad, just not consistent in giving me the "right" feel on every Guns tune. Judged on his own merits, Frank is a really good rock drummer. Steven just brings the excitement of a child with perfect groove and feel for what the song requires.

Edited by Rovim

Tommy is much more likeable when not pretending to be GNR's bass player.

He seems to have the balls to talk openly about his years as Axl's employee. Hopefully he tells us more.

Even though that era was a total failure, its secrecy makes it interesting.

• Like 1

i dig stinson and the replacements.  but i hate how he talks like he was an actual member of guns n' roses.  like he wasn't just hired as an employee by his boss axl rose to write and tour behind axl's solo record.  these guitarists he speaks of: bucketface, clownfoot - these guys were all employees, hired by their boss.  they will never be gnr.  ever.  now matter how hard axl tries to sell it and slash and duff go along and play it, CD will never be a gnr record, and stinson will always be the bass player in axl's solo band.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i dig stinson and the replacements.  but i hate how he talks like he was an actual member of guns n' roses.  like he wasn't just hired as an employee by his boss axl rose to write and tour behind axl's solo record.  these guitarists he speaks of: bucketface, clownfoot - these guys were all employees, hired by their boss.  they will never be gnr.  ever.  now matter how hard axl tries to sell it and slash and duff go along and play it, CD will never be a gnr record.

Best post I read here today. Amen, bro!

• Like 2

On 3/12/2017 at 8:09 PM, wasted said:

I agree, that's my theory as well. They did not want a 3rd guitarist. I think Finck stuck it out until CD was released so his parts weren't replaced like his ally Buckethead and could have some credit for his 10 years in Guns. Then shortly after CD was released he jumped ship. 

Good thing he didn't leave before the album or we'd have DJ Ashba all over Chinese...

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I agree, that's my theory as well. They did not want a 3rd guitarist. I think Finck stuck it out until CD was released so his parts weren't replaced like his ally Buckethead and could have some credit for his 10 years in Guns. Then shortly after CD was released he jumped ship. 

Good thing he didn't leave before the album or we'd have DJ Ashba all over Chinese...

My recollection is he did leave before the release? But it was after Ron laid down parts. 

If it was 2008-9 then I would point my digit at Azoff. 

But Robin did tour with Ron in 2006? 

I wonder if he just couldn't see it's release or that it wasn't going to be such a thing. He has one song in Better, was the man on Chi dem and This I Love. In the end those are the big 3 on CD. 

I feel like Azoff had a word and said I'm bringing Slash. 

On 3/13/2017 at 1:31 PM, Sunset Gardner said:

i dig stinson and the replacements.  but i hate how he talks like he was an actual member of guns n' roses.  like he wasn't just hired as an employee by his boss axl rose to write and tour behind axl's solo record.  these guitarists he speaks of: bucketface, clownfoot - these guys were all employees, hired by their boss.  they will never be gnr.  ever.  now matter how hard axl tries to sell it and slash and duff go along and play it, CD will never be a gnr record, and stinson will always be the bass player in axl's solo band.  

Buckethead was way too good for Axl's band. I don't mind Stinson, but he signed onto GnR as a paycheck gig. Most of the "talent" like Finck, Freese, and Billy Howerdel bailed as soon as their 2 year contracts were up.

Imagine APC being formulated in Axl's studio out of boredom by Josh Freese and Billy Howerdel. 

The amount of time and money Axl wasted on CD was atrocious. I feel sorry for all these artists who signed up believing in Axl's vision and thinking they would be part of something great. No amount of money could keep them and plenty of talent wouldn't even sign up knowing full well that the record would take forever to come out. So you're left with d-listers like Pitman, Dizzy, Fortus, Ferrer and DJ Ashba on the payroll with Stinson phoning it in to pay off his mortgage. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

"As far as I know, he hasn't been replaced. [...] Buckethead will be on the record, too. I really have no idea why he decided to leave, but it didn't come out of left field because he's always come and gone. Even when I do see him, I don't know what he thinks.'" (Tommy, MTV, 06/10/04)

On 13/03/2017 at 3:31 PM, Sunset Gardner said:

In the fantasy world you live in I'm sure all the above feels very real to you. Facts however, are not matters of opinion, they don't cease to be simply because you have feelings. You can't change them because you don't like them. 

Tommy Stinson was in Guns N Roses, fact.

Chinese Democracy is a Guns N Roses record, fact.

Axl Rose has never played or released music as a solo artist, fact.

Nothing you ever do or say in your life, no matter how much you want it, no matter how hard you try will ever change these facts. Facts, get it? Facts. I'm sorry if this "triggers" you, but you don't get to have your own facts just because you don't like something. Like you said in the other thread about something equally absurd that you were pushing as gospel; "it doesn't work like that, it's called bull shit". 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

In the fantasy world you live in I'm sure all the above feels very real to you. Facts however, are not matters of opinion, they don't cease to be simply because you have feelings. You can't change them because you don't like them. 

Tommy Stinson was in Guns N Roses, fact.

Chinese Democracy is a Guns N Roses record, fact.

Axl Rose has never played or released music as a solo artist, fact.

Nothing you ever do or say in your life, no matter how much you want it, no matter how hard you try will ever change these facts. Facts, get it? Facts. I'm sorry if this "triggers" you, but you don't get to have your own facts just because you don't like something. Like you said in the other thread about something equally absurd that you were pushing as gospel; "it doesn't work like that, it's called bull shit". 

Relax...

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

FACT: Tommy was in the knock off Guns N Roses (as in, in name only) and never had a hand in writing any of the songs people actually went to see that Guns N Roses perform.

FACT: Tommy would probably admit that the above statement is a fact.

But yeah, how good is that one little bit in that one song on Chinese Democracy where you can hear his bass?

Inspired whole new generations of bassists that did.

• Like 1