Forum Musicians

16 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

This is kinda sorta music related. I made a "almost" shot for shot parody video for Poppy's "Doritos Monster Energy Drink" video. The music (and all of the sound effects/foley work) for the parody is what I made.

Here is the original video

and here is my parody

Hahahahaha!  This is awesome!  Ive never heard of Poppy before so I will have to check that out more, but this alone is fantastic!  Thanks for posting!

15 minutes ago, soon said:

yes!  This is my personal favourite of the little Ive heard from you so far!  And I love the dadaist art on the soudcloud widget - is that what your band picked or maybe even designed?

Thanks man! The music and the art were all a solo effort on this track, the music and vocals are my own work and as for the art; I've always liked Edward Hopper's work, particularly Nighthawks, but the bar always felt lonely, so I added various well known pop culture icons and wall decorations (apart from the yellow man, that was a photo I took). I do enjoy making the covers for the songs, the cover for the track High Hopes (shameless plug) was taken from the 36th floor of a building in Canary Wharf at sunset and is another favourite of mine:
https://soundcloud.com/sound-of-a-gun/high-hopes-1

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks man! The music and the art were all a solo effort on this track, the music and vocals are my own work and as for the art; I've always liked Edward Hopper's work, particularly Nighthawks, but the bar always felt lonely, so I added various well known pop culture icons and wall decorations (apart from the yellow man, that was a photo I took). I do enjoy making the covers for the songs, the cover for the track High Hopes (shameless plug) was taken from the 36th floor of a building in Canary Wharf at sunset and is another favourite of mine:
https://soundcloud.com/sound-of-a-gun/high-hopes-1

incredible, thanks for filling me in!  I love your additions to the work as well as your motivation!  I'll have to check out Hopper as well.  Great photography too!  Really impressive stuff!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

hahahahaha nice! no offense but is Poppy in a cult of some sort?? :lol:

LOL Thank ya dear. Why not let her answer your question.:lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Hahahahaha!  This is awesome!  Ive never heard of Poppy before so I will have to check that out more, but this alone is fantastic!  Thanks for posting!

Thanks man :)  She's done ALOT of videos (170 at this point). To understand her is to understand what Andy Warhol did. But she is also a singer.

OK, so now on with the regular conversation instead of my derailment :lol:

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, soon said:

incredible, thanks for filling me in!  I love your additions to the work as well as your motivation!  I'll have to check out Hopper as well.  Great photography too!  Really impressive stuff!  

Thanks again! It is a time consuming, but very rewarding pass time! 

45 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

mine too...you rock kind sir! :)

Thanks @AxlsFavoriteRose, new stuff is being worked on....

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 11:10 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

Here is one of my tracks that was put on a compilation album last year; I have made the grand total of fuck all on the royalties so far! I think I have already posted it on here before:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4FEvHgO1fiVg4POUG0SxH9

https://www.amazon.co.uk/To-the-Heart/dp/B01DEMKWJO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1490032789&sr=1-1&keywords=sound+of+a+gun+to+the+heart

Wav version where the record label doesn't get a cut:

https://soundofagun.bandcamp.com/track/to-the-heart

It's also on itunes, but I don't have that so I can't get a link.

Here is the Soundcloud low quality version:

Cool song! Very riff-ey! I like the little breakdown in the middle right before the solo.

Since you did the drum arrangement, were they actual real drums played by someone, or just programmed in GarageBand or something? if they are programmed, they sound very convicing

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soon said:

Thats awesome!  Have you/ will you share that on here?  Id love to hear it!

side note, Im feeling the weight of my description of my recordings.  They are not as good as the 89th layer of chi dem isolated! :lol:

I shared it a while ago here when I first thought I finished it.

It started off as just recreating Axl's piano part, because I had no idea what he was playing because there's too much stuff going on, then I did the orchestra, then the guitars.

Some notes:

-The main piano melody is 99% correct, including the phrasing, although some chord harmony parts in the 2nd half of the 2st verse may be missing (but I can't tell since there's too much stuff going on)

-The guitar overdubs are mostly right, except for most of the bends, since its difficult to do that on GarageBand iOS. Also side-note, the left main rhythm guitar is using "full chords" (don't know what the correct name is) instead of power chords just to improve stereo imaging.

-The orchestra melody is right, but the harmonies are the best that I could hear from the multitrack.

-I didn't do Pitman's digital farts, although I'll probably do them later just for the hell of it.

-The ending of the song sounds way more somber with only the piano (at least from what I "transcribed"). Link to only the piano: here

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mendez said:

Cool song! Very riff-ey! I like the little breakdown in the middle right before the solo.

Since you did the drum arrangement, were they actual real drums played by someone, or just programmed in GarageBand or something? if they are programmed, they sound very convicing

Glad you like it! The drums are not real; I use a program called BFD3:

https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

It does sound great,I think they do some sort of demo if you want to check it out. I couldn't match up any of the "canned" grooves with what I wanted the drums to do in the chorus and solo, so I had to place each midi hit of the drum kit for certain sections, it took a long time as I was using a mouse for this but I think the manual placement added to the human feel.

4 hours ago, Mendez said:

It started off as just recreating Axl's piano part, because I had no idea what he was playing because there's too much stuff going on, then I did the orchestra, then the guitars.

Some notes:

-The main piano melody is 99% correct, including the phrasing, although some chord harmony parts in the 2nd half of the 2st verse may be missing (but I can't tell since there's too much stuff going on)

-The guitar overdubs are mostly right, except for most of the bends, since its difficult to do that on GarageBand iOS. Also side-note, the left main rhythm guitar is using "full chords" (don't know what the correct name is) instead of power chords just to improve stereo imaging.

-The orchestra melody is right, but the harmonies are the best that I could hear from the multitrack.

-I didn't do Pitman's digital farts, although I'll probably do them later just for the hell of it.

-The ending of the song sounds way more somber with only the piano (at least from what I "transcribed"). Link to only the piano: here

This is very cool, especially since it was all done in GarageBand, it seems like apple give away a pretty comprehensive tool with their PCs. Is everything MIDI on the track? The piano synth sounds spot on.

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

This is very cool, especially since it was all done in GarageBand, it seems like apple give away a pretty comprehensive tool with their PCs. Is everything MIDI on the track? The piano synth sounds spot on.

Thanks. Everything is MIDI/fake. And I did this on the iPhone version. The piano was the main thing I wanted to be correct, just so I could hear what Axl was playing, so its great to hear that it actually sounds right to someone else lol.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mendez said:

Some notes:

Its nice to hear without the farts:)  This is really wonderful!  And on garage band?!  Nice, man!

I use garage band often too and I hope it wont bother you if I ask for advice from time to time?

I agree about the end of the song.  Was very cool to listen to it with piano only.

This songs been in my head for a while now and it was meaningful to connect with the song this way.  Thank you.

59 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Thanks. Everything is MIDI/fake. And I did this on the iPhone version. The piano was the main thing I wanted to be correct, just so I could hear what Axl was playing, so its great to hear that it actually sounds right to someone else lol.

It must have taken forever to complete on a phone. A real achievement!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2017 at 11:29 PM, 1418Music said:

I'm not sure rockstar is the word haha but hey thank you for that..... I definitely play music and try not to suck (note; I said that I *try* not to suck :) )

@1418Music is busy not sucking, haha.  Copied from the Chesney/Atkins thread, below is a snippet of the upcoming (I hope) almost-but-not-really GnR epic.  Hope you don't mind, Steven!

...here's 60 seconds of instrumental from Moving On.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR9Sedbj8xu/
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, triad said:

@1418Music is busy not sucking, haha.  Copied from the Chesney/Atkins thread, below is a snippet of the upcoming (I hope) almost-but-not-really GnR epic.  Hope you don't mind, Steven!

I hope there is an epic guitar solo on this track!

8 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I hope there is an epic guitar solo on this track!

Ha! There's actually two solo spots in it....middle solo and outro solo....so...there's definitely a guitar solo.

Whether it will in any form be described as epic I do not know ha. Ack, No pressure :smiley-confused2:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, triad said:

Ha! I don't mind at all! Now that people are posting stuff from my IG as Chad and I its far less terrifying than finding out people had been posting it as Guns N' Roses for a week or two lol.

Here's hoping it still sounds like what everyone is hoping for though! - And remember, this is a personal project, anyone that tries to compare production values of me in my studio and Guns in a multi million dollar facility will be missing the point :D lol

29 minutes ago, 1418Music said:

Ha! There's actually two solo spots in it....middle solo and outro solo....so...there's definitely a guitar solo.

Whether it will in any form be described as epic I do not know ha. Ack, No pressure :smiley-confused2:

Don't worry, you've got the chops bro!

• Like 2

Just now, SoundOfAGun said:

Don't worry, you've got the chops bro!

Appreciated :) I'll do the best I can hehe. I'm actually going to track them today... I prefer to do my solos after the song is basically done and nearly mixed (or on the way in the mixing) so that I have the full feel of it leading into the solos...we shall see how this goes haha. I may film it for prosperity when I track it and put it on IG, we'll see... argh, more pressure :D - I'm actually working on the tune right now funnily enough.

• Like 2

Just now, 1418Music said:

Appreciated :) I'll do the best I can hehe. I'm actually going to track them today... I prefer to do my solos after the song is basically done and nearly mixed (or on the way in the mixing) so that I have the full feel of it leading into the solos...we shall see how this goes haha. I may film it for prosperity when I track it and put it on IG, we'll see... argh, more pressure :D - I'm actually working on the tune right now funnily enough.

I have a similar process for overlays/solos (although my solos are generally a bit of a hit and hope job!), get the mix in shape before you add the ear candy...

It would be cool to see your tracking process, I am always interested in watching how others work.

I have been experimenting with guitar recording recently, I am doing a cover of a track and have doubled my parts for the first time on this song. I normally dual mic with a 57 and condenser and use both channels, but find the 57 always does better than the condensers. Moving more and towards an Axe FX/Kemper set up though; I spend half my time setting up mics when I record guitars!

Got to wade through six guitar tracks now for the edits, add some bass and drums (I use BFD3), then track the vocals before the mix. Then I can think about overlays!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have a similar process for overlays/solos (although my solos are generally a bit of a hit and hope job!), get the mix in shape before you add the ear candy...

It would be cool to see your tracking process, I am always interested in watching how others work.

I have been experimenting with guitar recording recently, I am doing a cover of a track and have doubled my parts for the first time on this song. I normally dual mic with a 57 and condenser and use both channels, but find the 57 always does better than the condensers. Moving more and towards an Axe FX/Kemper set up though; I spend half my time setting up mics when I record guitars!

Got to wade through six guitar tracks now for the edits, add some bass and drums (I use BFD3), then track the vocals before the mix. Then I can think about overlays!

I have a full orchestra, a bunch of guitars, piano, drums, a choir, a bunch of vocal overdubs (just "Axl Adlibs" as it were) and a bunch of other stuff to work on to day so I feel your pain... not to mention now i want to retrack the bass ...just because lol

I've heard the Kemper is way better in a live situation than the Axe-FX but i've been running axe-fx since the original standard model and really you can't beat it for recording.

2 hours ago, soon said:

@Mendez did you start a thread about inadvertently copying riffs?  I swear to saw it and was gonna respond.  Cant find it now.  Maybe because I dont know how to navigate the site? Ive looked everywhere.  Can you point me to it please?

I deleted the thread. I feel like even though it started as a thread about how i inadvertently wrote existing riffs/similar riffs, It wasnt focused enough on the original question and instead went about my general opinion of what I feel is the unfair pigeonholing of musicians/artists that share similar traits, but are lumped into categories that demean the artists.

(Such as a small band called Sloth just being just a hard-rock-wanna-be Tool. Or how Buckethead is just a souless shredder. Or how Slash doesn't know how to do anything besides simple pentatonics. Or if you tap, you're just another Eddie Van Halen rip off.

And the apparant music afficionados who tear them apart are only doing it to defend their idols who they believe to be the original pioneer of the idea, without ever even having listened to the bulk of their material.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mendez said:

I deleted the thread. I feel like even though it started as a thread about how i inadvertently wrote existing riffs/similar riffs, It wasnt focused enough on the original question and instead went about my general opinion of what I feel is the unfair pigeonholing of musicians/artists that share similar traits, but are lumped into categories that demean the artists.

(Such as a small band called Sloth just being just a hard-rock-wanna-be Tool. Or how Buckethead is just a souless shredder. Or how Slash doesn't know how to do anything besides simple pentatonics. Or if you tap, you're just another Eddie Van Halen rip off.

And the apparant music afficionados who tear them apart are only doing it to defend their idols who they believe to be the original pioneer of the idea, without ever even having listened to the bulk of their material.)

Ah, I see.  Too bad.  I can relate to inadvertently writing existing riffs and being torn about how to proceed.  I feel like I remember other Izzy or Slash talking about how Axl can link any riff they come up to a previous rock song.  Feel like i woulda liked to hear more of your thoughts, but totally respect and understand your decision.  Thanks man!