AxlsFavoriteRose

Forum Musicians

94 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I deleted the thread. I feel like even though it started as a thread about how i inadvertently wrote existing riffs/similar riffs, It wasnt focused enough on the original question and instead went about my general opinion of what I feel is the unfair pigeonholing of musicians/artists that share similar traits, but are lumped into categories that demean the artists.

 

(Such as a small band called Sloth just being just a hard-rock-wanna-be Tool. Or how Buckethead is just a souless shredder. Or how Slash doesn't know how to do anything besides simple pentatonics. Or if you tap, you're just another Eddie Van Halen rip off.

 

And the apparant music afficionados who tear them apart are only doing it to defend their idols who they believe to be the original pioneer of the idea, without ever even having listened to the bulk of their material.)

You are a disciplined poster! For what it's worth, our bass player brought a riff in once that we all worked up into a song, only to find out from several audience members the first time we played it, he had ripped off -note for note, including timing, phrasing etc etc - the Owner Of A Lonely Heart riff by Yes and tacked it onto a lame ACDC style song, which was vastly inferior to anything produced by both bands. It was not a good gig....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks man! The music and the art were all a solo effort on this track, the music and vocals are my own work and as for the art; I've always liked Edward Hopper's work, particularly Nighthawks, but the bar always felt lonely, so I added various well known pop culture icons and wall decorations (apart from the yellow man, that was a photo I took). I do enjoy making the covers for the songs, the cover for the track High Hopes (shameless plug) was taken from the 36th floor of a building in Canary Wharf at sunset and is another favourite of mine:
https://soundcloud.com/sound-of-a-gun/high-hopes-1

This is amazing! I loooooooooove it! More please! 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

You are a disciplined poster! For what it's worth, our bass player brought a riff in once that we all worked up into a song, only to find out from several audience members the first time we played it, he had ripped off -note for note, including timing, phrasing etc etc - the Owner Of A Lonely Heart riff by Yes and tacked it onto a lame ACDC style song, which was vastly inferior to anything produced by both bands. It was not a good gig....

Wow was it on purpose? I accidentally ripped off Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" in a different tuning and tempo (which is apparently a common progression that has been used by Led Zeppelin, Green Day, The Beatles, the White Stripes etc). I also 100% know that I inadvertently ripped off a part of some old rock n roll song, but have no idea what it is. Sounds familiar, but no dice.

 

3 hours ago, soon said:

Ah, I see.  Too bad.  I can relate to inadvertently writing existing riffs and being torn about how to proceed.  I feel like I remember other Izzy or Slash talking about how Axl can link any riff they come up to a previous rock song.  Feel like i woulda liked to hear more of your thoughts, but totally respect and understand your decision.  Thanks man!

Feel free to pm me anytime man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, delilahrose said:

This is amazing! I loooooooooove it! More please! 

Here you go!

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mendez said:

Wow was it on purpose? I accidentally ripped off Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" in a different tuning and tempo (which is apparently a common progression that has been used by Led Zeppelin, Green Day, The Beatles, the White Stripes etc). I also 100% know that I inadvertently ripped off a part of some old rock n roll song, but have no idea what it is. Sounds familiar, but no dice.

He claimed that it was coincidence, but we'll never know. He did have form though; he brought a song into the band called Walkaway, he sang the verses and I joined in for the choruses. The verse melody always felt very familiar and it was only after we had recorded the track that I realised how much the first lines of each verse sounded like Heart Shaped Box. He also claimed that was coincidence.... it was in a different key, but the similarities are there. Have a listen and see what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/vitalsignsrock/walkaway

https://soundcloud.com/nirvana/heart-shaped-box

Edited by SoundOfAGun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Here you go!

 

Great stuff! I love it! Do you have an album on itunes or anything? Really great stuff! Love it!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

He claimed that it was coincidence, but we'll never know. He did have form though; he brought a song into the band called Walkaway, he sang the verses and I joined in for the choruses. The verse melody always felt very familiar and it was only after we had recorded the track that I realised how much the first lines of each verse sounded like Heart Shaped Box. He also claimed that was coincidence.... it was in a different key, but the similarities are there. Have a listen and see what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/vitalsignsrock/walkaway

https://soundcloud.com/nirvana/heart-shaped-box

That definitely starts out as the same melody/phrasing of heart shaped box for sure, with a lot more of what I like to call singer-noodling.  The chord changes are also kind of the same too, especially how long that last chord/note is sutained at the end of every bar in the verses

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really great...i love it! i want to buy this rock3

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Here you go!

 

Love it!  Thanks for posting! Nice to have so much to sit with.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mendez said:

That definitely starts out as the same melody/phrasing of heart shaped box for sure, with a lot more of what I like to call singer-noodling.  The chord changes are also kind of the same too, especially how long that last chord/note is sutained at the end of every bar in the verses

Singer noodling is a great term for it! He was a pretty weak vocalist and all that wavering around was a way to disguise not being able to hold a tune I think. It's one of things that once you hear it, you can't unhear it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, delilahrose said:

Great stuff! I love it! Do you have an album on itunes or anything? Really great stuff! Love it!

I only have the song To the Heart on itunes through that record company, my post is on the previous page I think. I have linked my bandcamp page where you can buy a couple of songs direct on the same post. 

As for an album, it has always been the goal, but what I have done so far has also been recorded as I have been learning to record and mix, so the quality is not consistent and some of the tracks I wouldn't feel right charging for. Going back and re-recording has always been the plan, but finding the time is the challenge!

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Love it!  Thanks for posting! Nice to have so much to sit with.

You're very welcome!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

This is what I have for sale so far:

https://soundofagun.bandcamp.com

wow. i love your music. and these words are so true..."Love songs don't have to be ballads. This song is about taking a chance and things working out better than you could have ever thought"

that song just gets me! must buy! your music is awesome and you are so talented :drool:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow. i love your music. and these words are so true..."Love songs don't have to be ballads. This song is about taking a chance and things working out better than you could have ever thought"

that song just gets me! must buy! your music is awesome and you are so talented :drool:

Thanks! They are both pretty positive songs actually and I find they are the hardest ones to write.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks! They are both pretty positive songs actually and I find they are the hardest ones to write.

well you did an amazing job :D 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many talented and kick ass musicians here :headbang:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks! They are both pretty positive songs actually and I find they are the hardest ones to write.

Great, great stuff! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

So many talented and kick ass musicians here :headbang:

You flatter me :awesomeface:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

So many talented and kick ass musicians here :headbang:

including you! :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.