http://ultimateclassicrock.com/underrated-rock-albums/ -Chinese Democracy in The list

For those that don't want to flip through:

It took 15 years for Guns N’ Roses — with only Axl Rose remaining from the classic lineup — to release ‘Chinese Democracy.’ Expectations were high … or low, depending on how you felt about the long delay. Either way, it’s a better record than the last one — the creaky covers record ‘The Spaghetti Incident?’ — and tougher at times than you’d expect. And despite the decade of recording that went into it, ‘Chinese Democracy’ sounds remarkable cohesive.

Came in at #42

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 4

"It took 15 years for Guns N’ Roses — with only Axl Rose remaining from the classic lineup — to release ‘Chinese Democracy.’ Expectations were high … or low, depending on how you felt about the long delay. Either way, it’s a better record than the last one — the creaky covers record ‘The Spaghetti Incident?’ — and tougher at times than you’d expect. And despite the decade of recording that went into it, ‘Chinese Democracy’ sounds remarkable cohesive."

Definitely underrated IMO, but I don't think it is "tougher" than I expected.

Chinese is a decent record, but to be perfectly honest I actually listen to TSI? more nowadays.  TSI? has great energy and a fantastic clean overall sound that I love, even if the songs are not originals.  

I do think CD is a great piece of work, but it could have been so much better with so much less

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Chinese is a decent record, but to be perfectly honest I actually listen to TSI? more nowadays.  TSI? has great energy and a fantastic clean overall sound that I love, even if the songs are not originals.  

I do think CD is a great piece of work, but it could have been so much better with so much less

One of the reasons why I love CD is actually the so called overproduction. There's just sooooooooooooooo many stripped down records out there. CD feels refreshing because of all the layers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

TSI is the best sounding GNR record. I wish the illusions sounded that well.

When compared to AFD or UYI, CD definitely missed the mark but as a debut solo album for Axl it wasn't bad.

Catcher is one song that has a pleasant sound that I think people enjoyed if they got far enough into the record, Better was a catchy rocker with some great vocals, and had that pained emotion mixed in. I think CD is a solid opener for the album. 

There were some big misses on the album however taken for what it is it isn't bad. IMO the worst part of the album is the vocals at times. Axl didn't use his clean vocals at the proper time for most of the album and it stunted what could have been a better record. 

I would love to see where CD2 would have brought considering CD carried so much variety that CD2 could have had a much different feel. 

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

One of the reasons why I love CD is actually the so called overproduction. There's just sooooooooooooooo many stripped down records out there. CD feels refreshing because of all the layers.

Don't get me wrong I like CD!  And I am a big fan of albums with layering on it, like Porcupine Tree and whatnot.  But for me a lot of the CD songs have way too many different things going on at once that for me it takes away from the main focus point of them - which is the main melody.  Especially on a song like Catcher In The Rye, which to me was a bit overkill compared to the stripped down 1999 demo that had a ton of sonic space in it

Im not gonna lie. There are some things i dont like about cd record.  ( more especificly: rhiad song, shackelrs guitar solo and some of the voice arrengements of that song.., citr guitar solo- mays solo was soooo much better)

But puting those things aside,  its a fu...ing wonderfull álbum.. I mean

Til?  Twat?? Madagascar? Itw?? Better?? Prostiute?? Sorry?? Cd?  SR ( great song except for the horrible guitar solo)..  

Those songs make a magnific álbum. And since almost any álbum is perect entirely ( yes.. Im aware that gnr afd and illusions are more than extra perfect and líes is really great)., so yes cd its very underrate  ( but its not "the most" underrated cause there are a lot of people and critics wich loves the record. Plus , considering the times, the álbum has sold very good)

It's not that the album is underrated. It is hated. Mostly because of all the drama that went into it. That album divided already divided the fan base a decade before it was released. The reception it received was to be expeced no matter how good the album and I think it is a masterpiece.  

• Like 1

CD is rising to the top as predicted. 

It's not over produced per track but there's so many productions from track to track that it can be overwhelmning. It's a unique record. Also the scope is such that eventually it will find a style you don't like, a vocal you don't like, a guitar solo, it's unpredictable. 

To me CD is the type of record rock bands need to make more of, be a little more ambitious than getting one single out on itunes. Or just peddling your GH to the bank. A lot of commercial rock now makes Izzy solo albums seem like prog rock. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite records ever.

It does seem to be gaining some respect. I've actually heard Better get played on the radio in my car twice over the last month... which other than that hasn't happened since 2009 besides the time I got a bunch of people to vote for it to be played about a year or two ago.

• Like 1

The amazing thing about CD to me is it's been almost 10 years since release and I'm STILL hearing new things that I've never noticed before (mostly because they've been deeply buried in the mix).

Take Catcher for example: This is isolated piano, synth and backing vocals. Listen at 1:17, you'll hear Axl doing a very Beatles-esque vocal that I've never noticed on the album before. Has anyone ever noticed this? (This might be better served as a separate topic)

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Don't get me wrong I like CD!  And I am a big fan of albums with layering on it, like Porcupine Tree and whatnot.  But for me a lot of the CD songs have way too many different things going on at once that for me it takes away from the main focus point of them - which is the main melody.  Especially on a song like Catcher In The Rye, which to me was a bit overkill compared to the stripped down 1999 demo that had a ton of sonic space in it

Yeah, I totally get that for some people there's way too much going on in those songs. Personally I like it though. For me it doesn't take anything away from the main melody.

Time for me to make another statement that will piss so many people off lol:

Chinese Democracy is my favorite Guns N' Roses album. I think it's incredibly under-rated for a variety of reasons, but I'm not mad at anyone outside of Axl over it. People shouldn't have to jump hurdles to check out your art. I'm not mad at anyone who doesn't like the album but I'm also not mad at anyone who didn't even bother. 

• Like 1