Second Scottish Independence Referendum

AtariLegend

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Does she even have the authority to call a referendum?

She has a majority to pass the legislation in Parliament. It might only be an advisory referendum if May's government doesn't agree to make it legally binding, but if the result was "Yes" and May ignored it, I can't see that going very well.

To answer Slash's question, I'm all for it. I think it was more-or-less inevitable in the aftermath of the EU referendum (and to a lesser extent the 2015 General Election) where the difference in political culture between Scotland and other parts of the UK was displayed very starkly. I don't believe it's sustainable to try and maintain a unitary state over the long term when we're clearly pulling in different directions and I believe the most mature thing to do would be to break up the UK and create a new co-operative relationship between the island nations.

Edited by Graeme

5 hours ago, Graeme said:

She has a majority to pass the legislation in Parliament. It might only be an advisory referendum if May's government doesn't agree to make it legally binding, but if the result was "Yes" and May ignored it, I can't see that going very well.

To answer Slash's question, I'm all for it. I think it was more-or-less inevitable in the aftermath of the EU referendum (and to a lesser extent the 2015 General Election) where the difference in political culture between Scotland and other parts of the UK was displayed very starkly. I don't believe it's sustainable to try and maintain a unitary state over the long term when we're clearly pulling in different directions and I believe the most mature thing to do would be to break up the UK and create a more mature, co-operative relationship between the island nations.

Ever watch Question Time and see the audience boo every time Scotland is mentioned?

It's quite clear the words United Kingdom and Britain mean England to alot of people. Noticed this alot more since the referendum on TV.

When I was a kid though I'd remember living in the midlands and people would look at me confused, not knowing that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. I know people get offended by alot of the generalizations made about why certain areas voted leave during the referendum and it's true it's not all about the foreigners. However alot of the country have very different ideas about identity. They'll be making films about these referendums and this government's rhetoric in decades to come.

I personally hope that there's no such referendum here for a United Ireland. Too much risk of political violence from both sides of the previous generations regardless of outcome. 

Edited by AtariLegend

20 minutes ago, Graeme said:

To answer Slash's question, I'm all for it. I think it was more-or-less inevitable in the aftermath of the EU referendum (and to a lesser extent the 2015 General Election) where the difference in political culture between Scotland and other parts of the UK was displayed very starkly. I don't believe it's sustainable to try and maintain a unitary state over the long term when we're clearly pulling in different directions and I believe the most mature thing to do would be to break up the UK and create a new co-operative relationship between the island nations.

What happens if Scotland votes against independence again though?

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

What happens if Scotland votes against independence again though?

Guess we're coming out of Europe with you lot and buckling up for a decade or more of Tory hegemony that we're not gonna vote for. Sounds like a treat.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Guess we're coming out of Europe with you lot and buckling up for a decade or more of Tory hegemony that we're not gonna vote for. Sounds like a treat.

Just for the record I actually think you should get another vote given the circumstances. :)

6 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

so can we have another vote on Europe too? 

Given the voting tonight and lack of fight for amendments, I don't think there'll be a second referendum. 

The Tories have went on about the EU for decades and evil human rights ect. Now there's chance to get rid of it all and blame voters afterward for anything that goes wrong. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound slefish here, but let's say one were to travel to Scotland in June with the intention of tasting and purchasing whisky. In what scenario of Brexit combined with this referendum would the whisky be the cheapest? 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm not British but I'm European. This is what May has said about the main issues for the Leave supporters

She can't guarantee lower immigration after Brexit :shock:

She can't guarantee the 350 millions for NHS. She basically said it's not the size, it's how you use it :lol:

She doesn't have an economic plan. All she said was that there will be a new economic model without any detail :facepalm:

It seems it's Brexit just for the hell of it. :crazy:

Go for it Scotland!!!! :headbang:

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

That film is historically inaccurate.

Get's Scots Americans/Canadians riled up though... you know people who's great, great, great, great grandfather/mother once lived in Scotland 300 years ago maybe.

Edited by AtariLegend

Cameron doing a U turn, talking about how he was never a fan of the EU. Didn't like the flag for the right wing press.

You mean a man who spent years going on about evil human rights at every PM Q/A's in parliament during his tenure didn't like the EU? Shocking!

Always thought Cameron being pushed as the face of REMAIN, was an attempt at self sabotage. Fucking Tories. 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:42 PM, classicrawker said:

Where is William Wallace when you need him................

Ensconced in a hollywood mansion somewhere neckin' Bourbon goin' 'fuckin' yids...first Christ and now me, when will people see them for what they are!' :lol:

• Like 4

On 30/03/2017 at 3:15 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

I hope the Scots leave. And that Wales and Northern Ireland will follow. Serves you fight for leaving the EU. 

Voting to leave an undemocratic political union, run by unelected, self-serving bureaucrats and in doing so reclaiming our sovereignty and identity? Yeah, how dare we? Personally I think the Scots would be absolutely insane to leave the UK and try to get back in with the EU, but it would be their choice and it is only right that they get to decide on that.

The day Article 50 was triggered was a great, great day.

Edited by bucketfoot