That Estranged hook...

Hi everybody. Although a lifetime GN'R fan, I'm only just now joining this party here, so apologies in advance for any newbie behaviors I might exhibit. 

Is it just me, or does that legendary hook Slash plays on Estranged sound very different live, especially that second note, where he seems to be at least an octave higher in the studio version? It changes the vibe of that hook altogether, and has distracted me every time I've heard or seen the live version. I know it's most probably feedback that adds the extra harmonics, but makes you wonder why Slash doesn't try to replicate it live. Am I just hearing things?

Also, on a separate note, does anyone know of any forums for discussing/analyzing the actual music of GN'R, as in stuff like songwriting and recording and tone selections and such?

Are you talking his main melody line right after the intro lyrics?

The second time around when Axl says "Still talkin' to myself and nobody's home... alone" and the riff starts, then Slash plays the pick-up note/bend an octave higher on the studio version. That's the only bit I can think of. He gets some crazy ass feedback going during the "Old at heart..." bits but I don't think he did any octave doubling or anything like that - just some "studio perfect" feedback that is hard to duplicate every time live.

Theres a few key guitar bits that I would call main riffs, would you be able to post the section you're speaking too?  As newbie myself Im not sure how to do that, but hopefully you do!

One thing I've noticed on this tour is that we can hear the rhythm guitar play some of the harmonies in the lower register.  They are on the recorded version, and often were audible during nuGNR live performances,  but I don't believe they've often been audible in live performances with Slash before.  Changes the sonics a bit.

Edited by soon
forgot one thing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Are you talking his main melody line right after the intro lyrics?

The second time around when Axl says "Still talkin' to myself and nobody's home... alone" and the riff starts, then Slash plays the pick-up note/bend an octave higher on the studio version. That's the only bit I can think of. He gets some crazy ass feedback going during the "Old at heart..." bits but I don't think he did any octave doubling or anything like that - just some "studio perfect" feedback that is hard to duplicate every time live.

yup, the main melody line is what i'm talking about. second note. i do believe it is studio perfect feedback - but i feel like not getting that note makes the hook sound very different live. a bit sing-songy, almost. that insane bend-down that he does after 'still talkin to myself' is also another thing he's never tried to replicate live. sometimes i wonder how it would sound if he just played the whole song live with a huge marshall stack staring him right in the face. :)

In Estranged there's this sound/note Slash makes right before the main riff or hook or whatever (clearly I'm no musician) that he never seems to do live. For example, exactly at 2:27 and especially at 3:19 in the video from the guns n' roses vevo...And I find that sound gives the riff a heavier feel, I always wondered why he doesn't play it like that live. I know I'm just being nitpicky but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?

11 minutes ago, qwerty123 said:

For example, exactly at 2:27 and especially at 3:19 in the video from the guns n' roses vevo...And I find that sound gives the riff a heavier feel, I always wondered why he doesn't play it like that live. 

You really have a good ear 

This song is one of the highlights of the reunion for me.. From the first show in Vegas, watching Slash rip through the song has just been amazing every night. I love the way he is playing it.... Have you seen the facebook  live soundcheck they did of it? So good...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This song is one of the highlights of the reunion for me.. From the first show in Vegas, watching Slash rip through the song has just been amazing every night. I love the way he is playing it.... Have you seen the facebook  live soundcheck they did of it? So good...

Its been one of their best songs this tour. I know a lot of people don't love the way Axl's been singing it, but I totally dig it.

Best ever live versions of Estranged have been on NITL for me

Estranged is my favorite GNR song and one of my favorite songs period. Its Axl and Slash at the absolute top of their respective games.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

I know exactly what the OP is talking about, I still love it live but would be kind of cool to hear it that way.... I find franks drumming on estranged particularly annoying with the extra fills he does.

anyway... There's a bootleg of GNR live at the ritz in 1991 where slashes intro estranged guitar is absolutely insane, he adds in an extra note or something.... It's sounds so cool!

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I know exactly what the OP is talking about, I still love it live but would be kind of cool to hear it that way.... I find franks drumming on estranged particularly annoying with the extra fills he does.

anyway... There's a bootleg of GNR live at the ritz in 1991 where slashes intro estranged guitar is absolutely insane, he adds in an extra note or something.... It's sounds so cool!

Jesus christ that tone

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Its been one of their best songs this tour. I know a lot of people don't love the way Axl's been singing it, but I totally dig it.

Best ever live versions of Estranged have been on NITL for me

Estranged is my favorite GNR song and one of my favorite songs period. Its Axl and Slash at the absolute top of their respective games.

I think Axl does a good job at singing it most part. I wouldn't have said that back in April but it is another song he has improved on and he gets an A for effort!

5 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I find franks drumming on estranged particularly annoying with the extra fills he does.

Agreed but I have leaned to block him out ;)

• Like 1

I know what you are talking about and this is something I noticed as well. It is probably just feedback in the studio version adding up harmonics and making the note sound higher pitched that is hard to replicate live. People on YouTube who cover the song tend to play that part on higher frets to make it sound like that. But yeah, Slash usually doesn't stick to what he exactly plays in the studio version most of the time and relies more on improvising various parts. 

I really wish he plays the studio version of the November Rain outro someday because I'm learning it right now and it's got some amazing licks which he doesn't play in the live versions.