DJ Ashba Wanted To Back Out Of Guns N' Roses Audition, Manager Convinced Him To Go

DJ Ashba was recently interviewed for HANGIN w LAVS  in Las Vegas.  I've transcribed some of the interview below.

HANGIN w LAVS 4 DJ Ashba 

Published on Feb 7, 2017

TJ Lavin: What band do you play for (when we first met)?  

DJ Ashba: At the time I played for Guns N' Roses. I did about 6 years with them, I was the guy that came in and took Slash's spot. To have somebody like Axl believe in you and give you a really great shot in life is something I'll never forget.

When I was on my way down there, Katie McNeil great longtime friend, gave me a call. At the time she was working with Irving Azoff who managed Guns and she gave me a call and said hey, would you want to audition. I said yeah of course. So I went down, I never thought anything of it, I didn't think I was going to get the gig. I didn't really think much I just wanted to go jam some Guns song who cares and meet the guys it would be great. I had met Axl years before when I was doing the Beautiful Creatures album on Warner Bros. and Sharon Osbourne walked me in and introduced me to him. And we're both from Indiana so we kinda had a cool little bond that way.

The night before I remember calling Katie my manager saying, you know, I think I'm going to back out, I was just kinda getting cold feet, you know it's going to be a lot of work, I don't know. She said you can't screw me over you've just gotta show up. I said OK for you I will. I showed up and I get in my car and she calls me and she basically said you got the gig. And it didn't set in for a while, it was very surreal. And then I remember going into rehearsals it was still surreal because Axl never showed up I was just jamming with the band it's cool. And I think the first show Tokyo Dome sold out like 60,000 people I can't remember, it was a massive show. Still no Axl, I was like this is kinda weird, you get used to rehearsing with the guys without Axl there. Sure enough, the lights go down and here comes Axl. That started a six years journey, we played a ton of show, had a lot of fun. It's a time in my life I'm never going to forget and I'll always cherish.

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 1

So Dj never even spoke to Axl since joining until the first show? How the fuck did Axl know he was good enough to get the gig if he never heard him play any Guns material?

Maybe Dj being hired was a giant mistake after all and Axl didn't know until he saw him onstage o_O

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Thing I liked about him is he played the Slash solos closer to right, than Robin ever could.

#Shotsfired

The guy doing the interview looks really familiar. He also looks really into it. Also, I can't recall what number one hit Dj had while debating joining GNR.

Anyways... cool interview, nice guy. Glad he left GNR when he did though.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

#Shotsfired

The guy doing the interview looks really familiar. He also looks really into it. Also, I can't recall what number one hit Dj had while debating joining GNR.

number one hit? Probably Life Is Beautiful, I guess?

14 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

#Shotsfired

I believe it was Sixx AM Lies Of The Beautiful People with John 5, Life Is Beautiful peaked at #2 in 2007 and was the most played rock song of 2008 and Saints of Los Angeles went #5.

Edited by Silent Jay

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I could see why Axl wanted to hire Dj.

1 - Looks like Slash, with the top hat

2 - Wrote a grammy winning album for Motley Crue. Worked with Nikki Sixx. Maybe Axl was trolling Vince Neil...?

3 - Overly positive and happy, something Axl likes in people he hires. Only going to say positive things and promote the band in a good way. And a yes man, I mean he went everywhere with Axl. Hell, Axl couldn't be interviewed on camera with Eddie Trunk unless Dj was there too.

Crazy, all of it but hey, in the world of GNR one must think outside of the box...really, really outside of the box

He didn't wear the top hat until after he was hired by gnr, though.

53 minutes ago, AlexC said:

So Dj never even spoke to Axl since joining until the first show? How the fuck did Axl know he was good enough to get the gig if he never heard him play any Guns material?

Maybe Dj being hired was a giant mistake after all and Axl didn't know until he saw him onstage o_O

Total nonsense, the rehearsals in 2009 were video taped.