Dizzy Reeds cut

So we all know the big 3 are milking it with this "reunion" with stories speculating millions per show with the rest of the band I guess on some sort of generic contracts. I'm curious as to the  status of Dizzy .The guy's been  a silent loyal follower to Axl for 25 years or so. Surely he must be higher up the pecking order than say Melissa or Frank? :shrugs: 

I doubt dizzy was ever a part of the partnership, he's probably always been on some type of wage.  Good coin for being an ass licker.

dont even get me started on del James... Just a hanger on who's made a career out of being a suck hole

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

He's paid as he's always been paid since Illusions: enough to afford beer and a couch to crash on. 

Del James lives further in Axl's ass than Dizzy, so his accommodations are different I imagine.

this is what i'd like to ask Del

li9lzmp.jpg

A lot of sidemen live modestly because when they're not on the road, but it's enough to not worry about a mortgage - however, they start looking at one room as being a  home studio and there goes the money, but it's their version of a home office/mancave.

I'm sure what he made in GNR allowed him to buy a nice Hollywood home, but even A-list celebrities have neighbors and don't all live behind gates. Some people just have an overpriced condo because they don't want to plant roots there. Some musicians are "homeless" but rich, so they'll live in hotels, at their girlfriend's, or even with mom or  a sibling. Or in an RV...but that RV's probably a half million dollars, parked in Malibu a few feet from the ocean - and can work on their music in there. Vagabond life. 

You're not going to get the number out of any of them, but in a Q&A, if you ask "what can a sideman make in a big rock band LIKE theStones or Guns",you might get a ballpark figure.  

The wierd thing is Dizzy Reed isn't a sideman in the traditional sense.

Sidemen normally only play live or on the occasional track but since the Illusions Dizzy has been part of the band officially - he's on the back of the record cover! (He got 6 writing credits on CD - so he's the only other member of the current line up to have writing credits)

I'd assume since he's been on the payroll since the Illusions tour he's getting an alright bit of the pie - but isn't legally part of the Guns partnership. You could safely assume he gets a lot more than Frank, Fortus and Melissa.

It really depends how they do it - it could be a case of Fortus,Frank and Melissa are simply employee's in a sense of getting travel expenses etc. on top of a flat salary while Dizzy may get a base rate along with a couple of percent. This isn't unusal as when people join a band they normally don't have the £ or $ to sit and wait for 2 years for the gigs to payout (you've got to clear down all your fee's and pay the employee's first) - most people wouldn't sign on to work for free for 2 years before collecting on their work. In the case of large concert tours they are so expensive to run that the first 75%+ of the shows often are required to pay all the costs and salarys of the people involved. (In fact I think the last U2 tour every date paid for all the expenses and only the final date was pure profit split between the band!)

So like I said its not Axl,Slash,Duff being mean and not splitting the Pie - they are probably taking the large fiscal risk in putting on the tour whereas the other 4 probably would prefer to take home less but be paid every month from the get go.

He was asking money from people for his daughters college tuition 

Remember those leaked emails where he was begging beta that what is going to happen next with the band as he needed money. 

I feel bad for him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i really started respecting Dizzy Reed when he made fun of Izzy Stradlin SONGWRITING ABILITY

Everyone that makes fun of Izzy gets my respect -- right there and then -- specially when they make fun of izzys songwriting ability

DIZZY REED ON IZZY: Izzy used to be a great songwriter- his contribution to Guns N' Roses first album are phenomenal. But, its almost like the guy has lost the fire... I mean I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio... and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller" - it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean... this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he's writing about getting his tooth pulled... I mean come on... can you imagine Axl singing that live?'

Given the extensive body of work by Mr. Dizzy Reed, his imense (its unmesureable, really) contribution to the art of songwriting, the many (many!) songs he wrote for GNR and on his many solo albums and also the stuff he co wrote for other great (seminal, really) rock bands like huh... yeah... huh... hookers and blow and... huh...

...and also considering that Izzy Stradlin only helped writing 4 of the best rock albums ever written in the history of mankind

...oh, and he only did like 10-plus really cool rock n roll solo records...

given all that, I came to the conclusion that this Dizzy Reed guy is entitled to make fun of Izzy Stradlin -- specially when it comes to the art of songwriting!

Dizzy Reed, such a classy guy!

...and what a songwriter!

Holy shit when did Dizzy say that?

31 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i really started respecting Dizzy Reed when he made fun of Izzy Stradlin SONGWRITING ABILITY

Everyone that makes fun of Izzy gets my respect -- right there and then -- specially when they make fun of izzys songwriting ability

DIZZY REED ON IZZY: Izzy used to be a great songwriter- his contribution to Guns N' Roses first album are phenomenal. But, its almost like the guy has lost the fire... I mean I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio... and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller" - it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean... this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he's writing about getting his tooth pulled... I mean come on... can you imagine Axl singing that live?'

Given the extensive body of work by Mr. Dizzy Reed, his imense (its unmesureable, really) contribution to the art of songwriting, the many (many!) songs he wrote for GNR and on his many solo albums and also the stuff he co wrote for other great (seminal, really) rock bands like huh... yeah... huh... hookers and blow and... huh...

...and also considering that Izzy Stradlin only helped writing 4 of the best rock albums ever written in the history of mankind

...oh, and he only did like 10-plus really cool rock n roll solo records...

given all that, I came to the conclusion that this Dizzy Reed guy is entitled to make fun of Izzy Stradlin -- specially when it comes to the art of songwriting!

Dizzy Reed, such a classy guy!

...and what a songwriter!

Is that his mouth or his ass talking? 

What a loon.

Still, you don't say that about a founding key member of the band you are in, especially since he plays on all those songs. His career revolves around Izzy's talent. I don't dislike Dizzy, and that quote was a while ago and I even get the context, but its sort of in poor taste imo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Słash said:

He was asking money from people for his daughters college tuition 

Remember those leaked emails where he was begging beta that what is going to happen next with the band as he needed money. 

I feel bad for him

I gotta see those leaked emails....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm guessing the lyrics were written by Dizzy because Pitman's work is all aces.

And that song, instrumentally, is awesome. 

Pitman is so late 90's though. I know he played on a Tool album and was tight with the APC guys but I always found Pitman's shtick to be cheesy in Guns. He gave the nu band an outdated feel if you ask me. 

13 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

His key effects were a little on the dated side in GNR as the years went on, I'll agree with that. 

If the album came out in 2002 like it should of, reasonably timely. Not bleeding edge but commercial music never is. 

Agreed. That's the tragedy of that whole album...so much of it would have been contemporary if they had just made the original release date. 

I know it isn't his style but I wish Axl had just finished his albums with Guns rapid fire style like Izzy and just brought in new collaborators for each one. First album could have been his Reznor/Dave Navarro colllab and then from there he could have gone back to his ballads with Bucket and Finck.

Too bad -- I feel like it could have all worked out with just a bit of tweaking. 

Edited by RONIN