This I Love - Finck, Slash or Ashba?

This I Love - Finck, Slash, or DJ?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

People that say Slash, they say Slash because they really think the solo is better or because is Slash on the subject? I think his solo on TIL sucks big time, I was singing so happy the song in Rio last year, when the solo kicked in it was like being hit in the balls

I chose Slash, and for me I judge based on what I think sounds best to me.  Slash's phrasing, signature sound/tone, and overall melodic sensibility hits me more than the others so I chose that.  

Slash's solo are pretty much in the moment, mostly improved so some might be better than others but I like how his way of phrasing things sounds juxtaposed with the chord progressions and overall vibe of the tune

Finck's is easily the best. Ashba's was just a sub-par cover of Finck's. Slash plays it better than Ashba but I was generally underwhelmed, I wish he'd just sit down and hammer out a proper solo instead of fucking around every night.

As far as the song itself goes, it doesn't suck at all, it's a great song... instrumentally. The overdone vocals and lyrics are what bring it down. Even the lyrics aren't so bad when Axl sings it raspy live (mostly the '09-10 shows), but there's too many vocal layers on the album version.

44 minutes ago, slipnslider said:

Yeah on CD songs, Slash just seems to do his "standard shredding" type solos on them.  You can almost see him checking his watch as he plays them.

I really wish he learned the solos that finck wrote.

I wouldn't complain if he wrote his own solos (well yes I would but not nearly as much) but this random stuff that he does is worst than anything that even Ashba did live. I still can't stand what he did to better...

30 minutes ago, AlterL said:

I wouldn't complain if he wrote his own solos (well yes I would but not nearly as much) but this random stuff that he does is worst than anything that even Ashba did live. I still can't stand what he did to better...

Better is like the one CD solo he kind of wrote one for lol

• Like 1

Im not gonna lie.. Finck did a hell of a solo.  Ashba just kinda did the same one ( just a few changes)

But..

1- finck worked on some " already done bases" ( im 200% sure axl had til demo with at least a vage slash work on it)

2- slash is one of the greatest of all time.. And on "that kind of solo" theres not match for Mr hudson.

Slash is slash..  

Ive got to admit, on sorry slash hasnt delivered a "memorable thing" yet. ( the original its pretty good) but when he feels like, he will smash that one out.

Thats one of the many reasons why gnr was/is so huge and epic, axl and slash are some kinda "midas artists" . everything they play they make it gold.

50 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Finck.

Robin's guitar on this song speaks. It's Axl's inner monologue. What he's feeling but what he isn't saying. 

I feel similarly about Buckethead's work on There Was A Time, Sorry, and Madagascar. 

Phenomenal stuff. 

Pretty much this. Everything this.

I had never heard the DJ Ashba version of this song before watching this video. I stopped paying attention to the band during his tenure...

My god... 

How did he possibly get the gig? That is some of the worst guitar playing on a professional stage that I have ever seen. It just reeks of the kid at guitar centre who is trying to show off.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Better is like the one CD solo he kind of wrote one for lol

Not really, he does seem to have a"base" for it, but then he goes trying to hard, maybe he feels self conscious because he knows that he isn't in his comfort zone or because he feels the need to make it his own but it hardly ever comes out right. For what is worth it he does seem to put some effort at times, but is just not his thing. And to the guy that said that Axl and Slash have midas touch when it comes to their songs, have they listened to Just another Sunday, Paradise City with that pop singer and those rappers (can't remember the names) and most of TSI? I'm not putting them down or anything but even the best fuck up at times and they're as guilty as anyone else.

This version :drool: I know @RussTCB thinks the second Chicago show was a superior version but Detroit remains my favorite TiL

EDIT- I also think Robin did an incredible job on the studio version. Its a shame he never got to perform it live

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Finck. No question for me. 

I like slash, but this solo totally did it for me and i can't stand any of his attempts. This is disappointing for me because it's one of my top 10 favorite gnr song. I get why some may not like it, but to me this is a desperate love song and i feel the honesty in it. Also.... Piano/orchestra instrumental version is just awesome.

Here's the thing, Finck's version is incredible but he's never had to perform it live. Slash has only ever performed it live. I can't pick between the two of them for that reason, not to mention Slash does something different every time.

I wouldn't even consider Ashba's off-key 'solo'.

I vote for Finck because his original solo is very good but admittedly I'm not even that much of a fan of the song.

I've enjoyed Slash's take on it because I've grown a little bored with his Godfather stuff so for me it's basically like getting another Slash solo spot. I can see why people don't like it though. It's not a fleshed out solo by any means but more in line with the other jams. It's the least structured of the solos he does with the Chinese songs. His number one has got to be the solo for Chinese Democracy itself which fits in line with the harmonic content of Finck's but takes it that one step beyond to make it sound like pure Slash while still fitting the song like a glove.

Ashba's take on This I Love made me want to drink bleach.

• Like 1

Finck in this case. It's like comparing Finck's solo in SCOM to Slash's, although it wasn't bad, it didn't have the same feeling Slash did that complimented the song so well. On TIL it's the other way around, Slash can't capture the right feeling for the song like Finck did.

• Like 1