This I Love - Finck, Slash or Ashba?

This I Love - Finck, Slash, or DJ?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

People actually voted for Ashba? :lol:

Ha. Finck's is fantastic- but also in a studio setting that was likely combed over hundreds (thousands?) of times. Kind of an apples/oranges thing to me.

Meanwhile- in the live setting I just generally prefer Dj's flawed but more faithful take to Slash's approach (though I do remember liking Slash's "TIL" solo well enough- which may have changed compared to what's posted- at Dodger Stadium #2).

22 minutes ago, Słash said:

Finck did keep Slash in his mind when he composed that solo 

Of course he did. He had to work extremely hard on those solos to reach and live up to Slash and GNR standards and that's what Robin did. His and Bucket's ballad solos had to be on par with the Nov Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged solos 

For me Fincks solo is the only enjoyable part  in this melodrama of a song.

I'm not sure of the correct technical phrases people are using,  if signature style is the sound that identifys the guitarist as unmistakably being Slash then to me his style doesn't work on this song because it's not delicate enough, by that I mean somehow Finck reminds me of the beauty and romance of a violin solo, whilst Slash's solo reminds me its Slash. Not to detract from Slash who is amazing,  but for me it does detract from  the only redeemable feature of the song.

Shame there is no live version of Finck, just to see how it holds up outside the studio setting.

35 minutes ago, nambis said:

The solo isn't a Finck composition, it's a cut and paste job by Axl - all CD solos (and everything else) were assembled this way.

No. Robin talked about composing his solos, at least some of them in the interview he gave to ultimate guitar. We know at least some solos were copy/pasted, but we don't know which ones. Bumble came up with the solo for shackler's and the tapping part in the outro, he talked about that.

48 minutes ago, Rovim said:

No. Robin talked about composing his solos, at least some of them in the interview he gave to ultimate guitar. We know at least some solos were copy/pasted, but we don't know which ones. Bumble came up with the solo for shackler's and the tapping part in the outro, he talked about that.

To add to that, Bumble also said he was given the freedom to write whatever guitar parts he wanted for the songs.

5 hours ago, tremolo said:

Finck by far.

This song to me proves that Slash is a great guitar player, but he will always play like Slash and will never be able to step outside his sound/tone/phrasing. Which is not bad, it's his craft, his own recognizable sound, but it kinda shows his lack of adaptability and versatility.

No way. You can say that about Angus, perry and hammet not Slash. Estranged, nov rain, serial killer, Anastasia, SCOM, Slither sound nothing alike. Neither do the bluesier ones like jungle & brownstone. Or don't damn me, coma & Nightrain

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archtop said:

For me Fincks solo is the only enjoyable part  in this melodrama of a song.

I'm not sure of the correct technical phrases people are using,  if signature style is the sound that identifys the guitarist as unmistakably being Slash then to me his style doesn't work on this song because it's not delicate enough, by that I mean somehow Finck reminds me of the beauty and romance of a violin solo, whilst Slash's solo reminds me its Slash. Not to detract from Slash who is amazing,  but for me it does detract from  the only redeemable feature of the song.

Shame there is no live version of Finck, just to see how it holds up outside the studio setting.

Nov rain solo is proof Slash can compose a solo that suits a song to perfection. It's like he's playing a violin to use your very solid analogy.

im sure Finck's live take would come off exactly as it is on the record. Just listen to The Blues and Better live. Only he can properly replicate his patented bends & feel

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Look I love Slash. He is probably the reason I picked up a guitar. I love his playing to this day and have kept fairly up to date with his material in and out of Guns. However :D there are solos that are just so well constructed that changing them is just madness, and 'This I Love' is an example of that! What he does is fine, and it has come on leaps and bounds since his first attempts... I've actually quite enjoyed a few of them.

Now, I'm not a Robin fan. I wasn't a fan of his when he was in the (live) band, I absolutely hated what he did to Slash's solos... but I loved his guitar work on Chinese. His style is really different to Slash. Robin is more restrained as a blues player, great phrasing and use of double stops and slides... I really can't fault his TIL solo, and the same thing goes for his outro solo in Better.

I know most people on here didn't enjoy Chinese and the Chinese band era, and I'm fine with that; but I think it's a tad hypocritical for people to complain night and day when Bumble, Richard or Finck change Slash's or Izzy's classic solos and then not complain when Slash does the same... and yes, we are in the minority but I definitely consider the TIL solo to be a classic, and for that matter the outro Better solo too. Why? they are memorable, great feeling, beautiful note choices, completely complimentary of Axls vocal melodies/rhythms and I could go on. 

I vote 1 million times Robin, on this particular occasion.

Spot on (Although I am a Robin fan). Robin's solos on TIL and Better are two of the standout moments on CD for me, his playing is simple, tasteful and beautiful on both songs, not noodling. Sometimes less is more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

No way. You can say that about Angus, perry and hammet not Slash. Estranged, nov rain, serial killer, Anastasia, SCOM, Slither sound nothing alike. Neither do the bluesier ones like jungle & brownstone. Or don't damn me, coma & Nightrain

Obsession Confession, Mother Maria, Crucified The Dead, Gotten, Watch This, Fix, Le Freak, Flying

• Like 1

of course Robin (voted for him) 'cos his was the original one and Ashba because he played it close to the Finck's version

not Slash - he probably thinks he's too good to play it close to the orginal, and the way he plays it ruins the whole song... because it sounds like a solo taken from a completely different song...

Edited by Liquor & Whores