This I Love - Finck, Slash or Ashba?

This I Love - Finck, Slash, or DJ?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't really like Finck's tone or style of playing that much but I voted for him. The album version of this solo is the best I've heard so far for this song.

I'm sure Slash could write a better solo for this song if he sat down and composed one. What he's currently doing doesn't impress me that much. 

Ashba isn't even competition...

23 hours ago, tremolo said:

Of course, different rhythm, different melodies, different scales. Pretty much the same style (other than the ballads).

I still have to hear Slash playing different styles and adapting to them instead of playing standard-Slash style, which is heavily based on blues.

Take Dave Navarro, for example, the guy is way more versatile and can adapt to different genres and styles very gracefully.

Completely different styles. You have no idea what you're talking about. In GNR alone, there's enough proof Slash can be very versatile and experiment with different styles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maynard said:

Completely different styles. You have no idea what you're talking about. In GNR alone, there's enough proof Slash can be very versatile and experiment with different styles.

Yea it doesn't make any sense. What is Finck doing that is so revolutionary? The 3 chord song Chinese Democracy? I can see making that argument for Buckethead but Finck? 

This goes back to the silly notion and crazy talk that went on during 98-2014. Mostly fueled by Axl I guess, how Slash only knows the blues and pentatonic. When in reality Axl knew Slash was capable of anything. He just didn't have the patience to wait 18yrs to release music. Axl has tried to diminish Sorum and Adler the same way in interviews. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea it doesn't make any sense. What is Finck doing that is so revolutionary? The 3 chord song Chinese Democracy? I can see making that argument for Buckethead but Finck? 

This goes back to the silly notion and crazy talk that went on during 98-2014. Mostly fueled by Axl I guess, how Slash only knows the blues and pentatonic. When in reality Axl knew Slash was capable of anything. He just didn't have the patience to wait 18yrs to release music. Axl has tried to diminish Sorum and Adler the same way in interviews. 

I agree. Slash is vastly underrated by Axl fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

What is Finck doing that is so revolutionary? The 3 chord song Chinese Democracy? I can see making that argument for Buckethead but Finck? 

No one said it was revolutionary, but Robin came up with some killer melodies for Axl, some of which probably can't be topped by Slash. Robin is a good composer based on his Chinese work.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

No one said it was revolutionary, but Robin came up with some killer melodies for Axl, some of which probably can't be topped by Slash. Robin is a good composer based on his Chinese work.

Yup I agree. I've been on Robins side throughout this thread. I just don't understand the need to delegitimize Slash in order to lift Robin

42 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Slash's style is heavily based on blues, that's where he is most comfortable with, and that's why he has trouble adapting to different styles, cause he will always try to play his blues-based style, no matter if it is industrial, ska, electronic/house base, funk, jazz, reggae, heavy metal, etc. It doesn't matter if GNR plays songs with different sounds, levels of distortion, arrangements, speed, etc, it's all pretty much hard rock based on blues.

It could have to do with his influences? I don't know.

It would be GREAT if you could post some links to songs/videos of Slash experimenting with different genres (as in adapting his style to those genres, as opposed to playing the same blues-based style). Other than the outro to DTJ where he flirts with flamenco, I can't think of any other GNR song where he plays a style that is not the one I've been referring to (his staple style).

I disagree. Of course he will follow a pattern that better suits his style but umm... I see Slash much more versatile than you. I think you label anything with a more melodic style as "blues-based".

There's nothing bluesy in Estranged, NR, Locomotive, etc. It's hard to put them in a category but it's nothing like AFD or Snakepit solos. They don't evoke anything from blues, IMO.

You already mentioned DTJ. 'Anastasia' is very similar. "Slash", the album, is filled with different styles. Unless, again, you put any melodic/sleazy sound under the blues umbrella.

VR is filled with drop-d/alternative rock/punk riffs, structures and solos.

Wold on Fire is basically a metal album (god i'm sounding like wasted).

Maybe we agree more than disagree. Let me try to use an example... Just compare Snakepit with WoF and it's like two different guitarists.

Slash is a rocker, he'll always transit through blues and hard rock, some metal, some punk, some shredding, some dramatic blues notes... But within all these styles, he's very versatile.

• Like 2

Robin's original solo on the studio version is perfect. Ashba's is just a less impressive copy. Slash plays something entirely different and while it's very Guns N' Roses in style, there's no definitive melody so I'd have to go with Robin.

I still voted for Slash though just on principle. #SorryNotSorry

• Like 1

Definitely Robin's. I mean he nailed that solo. I've seen slash do it live twice in Vegas and once in Seattle. Seattle was much better but I think sticking to more of Robin's key phrases would better. DJ did ok. For the most part I haven't enjoyed Slash's versions of the Chinese tunes. He noodles too much around and loses the essence of the solo's with the exception of CD the song. He nails that one

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maynard said:

There's nothing bluesy in Estranged, NR, Locomotive, etc. It's hard to put them in a category but it's nothing like AFD or Snakepit solos. They don't evoke anything from blues, IMO.

Of course there is. But I think I get what you mean. Slash's guitar playing style in his genre which is hard rock, is extremely versatile. Slash is not a blues player, but he never really strays too far from Bluesy hard rock.

The way he combines elements he likes and sounds that work in a hard rock context like Metal in Coma but still bluesy solos, or pop sensibilities, flamenco, and Alternative Rock even in Contraband is a main reason of what makes his guitar playing so interesting. He is also a session musician, working with many different musicians.

He does 1 thing, but it's made of many pieces that together form his unique style. Like for example, it's only Chinese food, but with many dishes and only this chef can prepare those dishes in that way.

Edited by Rovim

Obviously Finck is stronger on his own material. There's also the fact that "This I Love" is a classic era song that should have had Slash on it in the first place. That song has a complicated history so what you're getting now is essentially what the song technically "should" have sounded like in the first place.

To answer the question, Finck's version is better. I'd be interested in seeing what Slash can do in the studio which would be a fairer comparison. I do like the direction he took the solo in the Vegas shows. 

Out of all the chinese tracks, I think Slash nails "Sorry". That's the one that's probably the most in his ballpark imho. He makes that song his own. Buckethead's take on "Sorry" is amazing as well.

Since when World On Fire is metal? For the most part it's a piece of crap.

And every riffs and solos on Locomotive, Estranged and November Rain are absolutely blues based. Pentatonic blues scales. Unless you don't know guitars.

The thing is Slash turns out to be just as versatile as Zakk Wylde, a monster player, but not capable of raising the bar a little bit more these days cause he hasn't done anything subtle and mindblowing in a long time. I'd have loved to be proven wrong since there is no new album.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Since when World On Fire is metal? For the most part it's a piece of crap.

And every riffs and solos on Locomotive, Estranged and November Rain are absolutely blues based. Pentatonic blues scales. Unless you don't know guitars.

The thing is Slash turns out to be just as versatile as Zakk Wylde, a monster player, but not capable of raising the bar a little bit more these days cause he hasn't done anything subtle and mindblowing in a long time. I'd have loved to be proven wrong since there is no new album.

World On Fire is not Metal nor a Piece of crap.

Slash has written amazing riffs over the years. Axl is an amazing song writer, so Axl and Slash working together would have made those songs much better.

Same thing with CD, if Slash and Axl worked on it, it would have been an amazing album. 

• Like 1

Finck by a mile.

Robin's has tension and power.  Slash's are melodic but forgettable.  Ashba's attempts in the first few shows were absolute horrific, out of tune, out of time, shit tone... horrific.  Then he changed it to something "That fits better live" because he couldn't play the original and completely sucked.  The worst professional "lead" guitarist I have ever had the unfortunate displeasure to hear.  God awful.

Edited by T-Minus
  • Like 3