This I Love - Finck, Slash or Ashba?

This I Love - Finck, Slash, or DJ?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 22/03/2017 at 7:56 AM, T-Minus said:

Finck by a mile.

Robin's has tension and power.  Slash's are melodic but forgettable.  Ashba's attempts in the first few shows were absolute horrific, out of tune, out of time, shit tone... horrific.  Then he changed it to something "That fits better live" because he couldn't play the original and completely sucked.  The worst professional "lead" guitarist I have ever had the unfortunate displeasure to hear.  God awful.

Agree Finck by a mile. But did like the first live versions where it was stepped down

On 20/03/2017 at 3:28 PM, maynard said:

I disagree. Of course he will follow a pattern that better suits his style but umm... I see Slash much more versatile than you. I think you label anything with a more melodic style as "blues-based".

There's nothing bluesy in Estranged, NR, Locomotive, etc. It's hard to put them in a category but it's nothing like AFD or Snakepit solos. They don't evoke anything from blues, IMO.

You already mentioned DTJ. 'Anastasia' is very similar. "Slash", the album, is filled with different styles. Unless, again, you put any melodic/sleazy sound under the blues umbrella.

VR is filled with drop-d/alternative rock/punk riffs, structures and solos.

Wold on Fire is basically a metal album (god i'm sounding like wasted).

Maybe we agree more than disagree. Let me try to use an example... Just compare Snakepit with WoF and it's like two different guitarists.

Slash is a rocker, he'll always transit through blues and hard rock, some metal, some punk, some shredding, some dramatic blues notes... But within all these styles, he's very versatile.

Beneath the savage sun was pretty interesting for slash in my opinion, the solos.

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I pick Slash. The clip that was chosen by the OP is not a fair comparison for starters. Finck has the album, Ashba has a proper DVD, Slash has a cell phone video, not really apples and apples.

Let me give Finck his due here, his TIL solo was great, probably the best thing he ever did in gnr imo. I will say this though, once the drums kick in, he loses it slightly. So the first half of his solo is great, the 2nd half is just pretty good imo. 

Now compared to the clip provides here, yes Finck is better. But I have seen OTHER clips where I would say Slash blows Finck away, and here is why. Slash can recreate the feel of the first part of the solo, all while adding his own take on it, so it still keeps the emotion imo. When the drums really kick in though, Slash RAISES the solo another level, and that's where Finck loses it. Slash feeds off of the drums while Finck almost feels like they get in his way. So while I do give the edge of the first half of the solo to Finck (although Slash is close), the 2nd half Slash BLOWS Finck away, as a result I prefer Slash. 

Ashba doesn't even register.

• Like 2

Slash wins this one IMO. Well some of his TIL solos have been great. Not all of them. It's a shame that he changes it all the time. Wish he'd just stick to the best version at every show.

But yeah, I love the song but Finck's solo never really did anything for me. It sounds good only because of the orchestral arrangements in the background, but the solo itself sounds pretty dull to me. I prefer more melodic solos. I'm actually not sure which one I prefer more Ashba's solo or Finck's solo. Neither one is terrible, but Slash's best versions of the solo brings the song to a whole new level.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

^The best part of Finck's solo is after the drum kicks in imo. The songs climax

See for me, he isn't really doing much once the drums kick in. Its not that he is playing bad, just kinda waiting for it finish up imo. All the emotion he played with before the drums, gets lost. Honestly, as a guitarist myself, I hear a guitarist just trying to get to the finish line of his solo. Which isn't "bad," especially when you look at the entire piece. 

All great solos (even improvised ones) should have a beginning, middle, and an end. I learned this from listening to guys like EVH, Hendrix, Page, and yes Slash. Finck captures the emotion beautifully in the first part, so I give him an A for that part. The middle (which is the part where guitarist should do the most experimenting) I give Finck a B+. Then for the ending section (where this is the part where you really need to leave your mark) I give Finck a B-. Basically ANY great solo starts strongs, has a decent middle, and ends with a bang. I feel Slash ends the solo SO much stronger than Finck does. Finck just kinda Peters out, while Slash brings it home.

By comparison, (from some of my favorite clips that I haerd) Slash starts with a solid B+, so yes Finck wins the beginning. The middle section Slash DOES outshine Finck, but both are good, A- for Slash, but it's close. Them for the ending I give Slash an A while Finck was a B-, so Slash dominates the ending section. 

So when you add up the scores Finck A, B+, B- OVERALL B+

Slash on the other hand gets a B+, A-, then an A OVERALL A-

Slash wins it for me, but it's close. Again I am disecting the solo as a fellow guitarist, not a fan.