Chuck Berry

AxlsFavoriteRose

14 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

RIP Mr. Chuck Berry...Born October 18, 1926 Died March 18, 2017. you were a pioneer, a great musician and will be missed early but remembered always. rest well Mr. Chuck Berry 

good for you… thank you for posting this.  right on.  mr. berry was a legend.  thank you chuck.  THANK YOU.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

... and so the hyperbole begins.

Don't get me wrong, I fully acknowledge the influence this guy had on popular music over the last 70 years. But having said that, some people are more influential than they are great themselves, and as unpopular and controversial to the hipsters as this may sound, I think Chuck Berry fits into this mould. The majority of the general public would only recognise one Chuck Berry song, and lets face it, once you know one Chuck Berry song, you know them all. They all sound the same. But it was that style that went on to influence so many others, who took what he did, and made something bigger and better out of it. Chuck may have been one of the early pioneers, and he indeed deserves his dues for that, but anybody who claims that he did it best is lying to themselves. 

dear Pig,

crawl back into your cave and fuck yourself.  your opinion is not unpopular nor is it controversial… it's a window into your ignorant, soulless heart.  chuck berry is everything.  he's everything that is in your entire record collection.   you stated "the majority of the general public would only recognize one chuck berry song, and let's face it, once you know one CB song, you know them all.  they all sound the same."  you are clearly not a musician, have clearly never written music and clearly know nothing about music outside whatever your small personal tastes are.  maybe you should go listen to "chinese democracy",  maybe axl's solo record and solo band can get that awful chuck berry taste out of your mouth.  

finally the part about where we're lying to ourselves chuck did it best… he did do it best you fuckin' loser.  chuck berry is god.  chuck berry is king.  his music comes as close to pure rock n' roll as anyone will ever get.  

sorry you missed all that... jerk off.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunset Gardner said:

dear Pig,

crawl back into your cave and fuck yourself.  your opinion is not unpopular nor is it controversial… it's a window into your ignorant, soulless heart.  chuck berry is everything.  he's everything that is in your entire record collection.   you stated "the majority of the general public would only recognize one chuck berry song, and let's face it, once you know one CB song, you know them all.  they all sound the same."  you are clearly not a musician, have clearly never written music and clearly know nothing about music outside whatever your small personal tastes are.  maybe you should go listen to "chinese democracy",  maybe axl's solo record and solo band can get that awful chuck berry taste out of your mouth.  

finally the part about where we're lying to ourselves chuck did it best… he did do it best you fuckin' loser.  chuck berry is god.  chuck berry is king.  his music comes as close to pure rock n' roll as anyone will ever get.  

Hahaha. Classic. I love it when I upset the snowflake hipsters. 

My opinion clearly is unpopular, as I clearly touched a nerve with you. And to suggest that all music derived from Chuck Berry is beyond ridiculous, revisionistic and pure hyperbole. I don't need lecturing on Chuck Berrys influence, I own a Chuck Berry collection, I hear who he inspired and the people who came after. I learned to play Johnny  B Goode on the guitar just like everyone else. I'm just saying, he was one of a group of people, not the sole influence. And also, those who came after him took what he did and did something that translated and resonated with people on a much more profound level than what Chuck did.

You could argue that there would've been no Beatles or Stones without Chuck Berry, but then you could also say there would be no Chuck Berry without Robert Johnson. It's pretty squabbling over semantics, when the reality is, no one person can be attributed for inventing rocknroll. We just love to deify people from the past and hold them up on some kind of unrealistic cosmic pedestal.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Gardner said:

dear Pig,

:lol: Nice one. Have a like!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Hahaha. Classic. I love it when I upset the snowflake hipsters. 

My opinion clearly is unpopular, as I clearly touched a nerve with you. And to suggest that all music derived from Chuck Berry is beyond ridiculous, revisionistic and pure hyperbole. I don't need lecturing on Chuck Berrys influence, I own a Chuck Berry collection, I hear who he inspired and the people who came after. I learned to play Johnny  B Goode on the guitar just like everyone else. I'm just saying, he was one of a group of people, not the sole influence. And also, those who came after him took what he did and did something that translated and resonated with people on a much more profound level than what Chuck did.

You could argue that there would've been no Beatles or Stones without Chuck Berry, but then you could also say there would be no Chuck Berry without Robert Johnson. It's pretty squabbling over semantics, when the reality is, no one person can be attributed for inventing rocknroll. We just love to deify people from the past and hold them up on some kind of unrealistic cosmic pedestal.

That's the point, there would be no Beatles or Stones without Chuck Berry, one thing leads to another. Jesus, if you can't deify someone like Chuck Berry, then who can you? You probably think Robert Johnson was overrated, you fucking idiot.

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

No one is saying all music derives from Chuck Berry, just that his influence is instrumental. Chuck Berry helped made rock and roll guitar driven instead of sax and piano. He helped bring guitar to the for front. 

Lennon said that Chuck Berry was one of the first to write a rock song about ordinary things. Not just partying and kissing the girl. He told a story.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists-bio/chuckberry.html

There were many guitarists that had influences on Keith, Eric, Angus, Malcolm, Jimi, Jimmy and many others. Scotty Moore had influence on Keef as much as Chuck did. But when you see those guys dancing on the stage while playing, they are doing their Chuck Berry.

Keith did a nice tribute to Chuck on Star Star.

@Sunset Gardener

Just ignore that post, it speaks for itself. Stating that the one who pretty much invented Rock'n'Roll and established the guitar as a lead instrument in music wasn't very influental...can't take that serious.

And like someone already mentioned, posts like that don't fit into this thread anyway. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

That's the point, there would be no Beatles or Stones without Chuck Berry, one thing leads to another. Jesus, if you can't deify someone like Chuck Berry, then who can you? You probably think Robert Johnson was overrated, you fucking idiot.

I never once said Chuck Berry's influence was overrated. Learn to read.

And nah, I love me some Robert Johnson, you fucking idiot.

Edited by Towelie

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I never once said Chuck Berry's influence was overrated. Learn to read.

And nah, I love me some Robert Johnson, you fucking idiot.rr

Sorry, I have a tendency to zone out when reading utter fucking drivel. Not sure exactly what you were expecting Chuck to produce considering the era he was around? Sgt. Pepper? Led Zeppelin IV? Electric Ladyland? Something more progressive, Dark Side Of The Moon, maybe? It's not a case of whether Chuck did it best, what he did with the guitar, he certainly did first. If you rate his influence then I think your original post was pretty pointless and very mean-spirited to a true legend who's just passed away, obviously done to get a reaction and disrupt this thread, which is a tribute to the man. Maybe simply looking to upset the snowflake hipsters as you say? Good, glad we've cleared that up. ;)

^^ TBH, the original post wasn't meant to be disrespectful to Chuck. It was more a reactionary thing against all the fakes who come out in mourning pretending as if they're huge fans everytime we lose one of the musical greats. I saw it with MJ, I saw it with Bowie, I saw it with Prince, I saw it with Lemmy... and it just gets a bit nauseating when you know half of these people probably don't even listen to these artists or have the first fucking clue about them. I have no issue with genuine fans paying their respects, its the bandwagon jumpers who act heartbroken everytime an actual musical legend passes until a few weeks later when its no longer in the news and they've completely forgotten about them.

And then you have insufferable people like @Sunset Gardner who act as if they've lost their mother and you've just pissed on her grave. It's the worst kind of social melodrama and hysteria.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bono said:

Cool little cover from last summer. NEVER would have expected this from Coldplay and had no idea at all that Michael J. Fox could actually play that

Nice seeing this again!

Obviously Michael's skills aren't now what they were for the film, but he actually played guitar and learned the parts accurately for that scene so he could mime to the pre-recorded track.

23 hours ago, Towelie said:

^^ TBH, the original post wasn't meant to be disrespectful to Chuck. It was more a reactionary thing against all the fakes who come out in mourning pretending as if they're huge fans everytime we lose one of the musical greats. I saw it with MJ, I saw it with Bowie, I saw it with Prince, I saw it with Lemmy... and it just gets a bit nauseating when you know half of these people probably don't even listen to these artists or have the first fucking clue about them. I have no issue with genuine fans paying their respects, its the bandwagon jumpers who act heartbroken everytime an actual musical legend passes until a few weeks later when its no longer in the news and they've completely forgotten about them.

And then you have insufferable people like @Sunset Gardner who act as if they've lost their mother and you've just pissed on her grave. It's the worst kind of social melodrama and hysteria.

I know what you mean. I was put off by the solemness of this thread. First of all Chuck was 90. It wasn't like he died in his before his 40's. Second the man is fucking immortal now. Apart from the hits and covers of his songs plus some iconic artists he influenced, his songs are in fucking deep space on the Voyager! I think there was a joke on SNL years back when they finally heard back from aliens and they requested more Chuck Berry. 

He may be gone but his legend lives on. What's to be sad about? He will live forever. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I know what you mean. I was put off by the solemness of this thread. First of all Chuck was 90. It wasn't like he died in his before his 40's. Second the man is fucking immortal now. Apart from the hits and covers of his songs plus some iconic artists he influenced, his songs are in fucking deep space on the Voyager! I think there was a joke on SNL years back when they finally heard back from aliens and they requested more Chuck Berry. 

He may be gone but his legend lives on. What's to be sad about? He will live forever. 

Well in my first post I said 90 is a decent age to get to and I totally agree his life should be celebrated rather than mourned, anyone who lives that long has had a good run. I didn't like how a respectful thread took a turn for the worse after a certain post though. Anyway, Chuck was awesome, end of.

On 20/03/2017 at 4:42 AM, Bono said:

Cool little cover from last summer. NEVER would have expected this from Coldplay and had no idea at all that Michael J. Fox could actually play that

To be honest Coldplay are just about the most un-rock n' roll band there's ever been, I can't stand them, but Michael J. Fox is fantastic and I suppose they are playing Chuck at least, so fair play. :lol::thumbsup:

• Like 1