To be honest, I think Silkworms is misunderstood

6 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Would be interesting to hear the finished version. (More than 10 seconds of it) It'll probably sound very different since it has a different chorus. Could be good. Who knows.

It's got turned into a piano ballad

"Sooo what can I dooooooooo?"

"babe, with aaaas bitch such as youuuuuu"

(deep nasally voice) "oh you know that it'ssssss true"

"baby, all i have i ask if you but I'll be damnnned..."

"with a bitch"

"like"

"youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

20 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I like the ambient intro. Then it descends into unintelligent crudeness in the most uncool, lazy and boring way. It's not provocative or meaningful to me. Just lazy and boring.

"Pussy full of maggots"? I or in fact most anyone could come up with better lyrics than this.

I find the music after the intro boring too. I hate the drums.

I'm a big fan of the intro too - other than that, eh....

Silkworms has always been a mystery to me. Rio 2001 version is unlistenable for me, HOB version is.....okay at best. I can kinda see why people like it and the chorus is kinda catchy to me but in the end it doesn't do anything for me. Also awful lyrics on this one. 

My morbid curiosity wants to hear a studio version. There's actually 2 more performances of the song we haven't heard - the 29th and 31st of December 2001 at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. I wonder if those performances are any different from the 2 we have heard. Lots can happen in 11 months. 

Also apparently both Silkworms and Oh My God were planned to be played live at the cancelled Rock in Rio Lisbon and  the rest of the cancelled 2004 tour. Fortus said so in 2003:

TAGW: Which songs do you play on the Baritom? 

Richard: Haven't used it live yet with G n’ R. I'm going to use it on “Oh My God” and “Silkworms” (from the forthcoming Chinese Democracy record) live. I've used it in the studio on the new BT record and also on the new Deep Dish record.

Edited by History2010

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

Personally I would have liked a full album of psycho garbage, "industrial" type songs from the Tobias/Finck/Bucket/Brain/Stinson/Pitsman/Reed era band- released in say 02, and not fucked with.

Honestly, I'd take a whole album of OMG type songs.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2017 at 11:17 PM, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I think people look at the vulgar lyrics and go "trash, up there with My World".  I think they are missing the point of the song

I think it's going for a sleezy, depraved, almost demonic tone.  I think it does it well.  Axl's delivery on the lines is fantastic.  I listen to the song to just enjoy it some times

"Oh, what can I do...?"

Miser? 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Honestly, I'd take a whole album of OMG type songs.

Gotta say, I absolutely love Oh my God. Axl's best NuBand vocals by far. 

13 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

A legitimate criticism of the Chinese Democracy songs is they tend to have overly long intros. And some of the intros even have intros. 

Silkworms certainly falls into this category (even though I like the sound of Pitman doing his best Vangelis impressions). 

Duff once said that if your bridge isn't as good as your main song, why have a bridge.

You cut out the intro and that bridge and you have a nice simple rock song, likely about Stephanie Seymour's debauched love crevice. 

"Debauched love crevice."

That is fucking crude hahaha!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, downliner said:

I like Silkworms and My World. Its cool to hear something experimental every now and again, same goes for Better Gone :P

To me that song sums up where Axl was with CD for a long time, that he didn't really know what he wanted to do with the record. The song doesn't really go anywhere for me, just half ideas meshed together. There's a reason why it didn't make the cut when CD was finally released, I could have maybe lived with it if it had come out as part of a heavily industrial record in '00-'02 but that just sounds horribly dated to my ears.