[Sons Of Apollo] '"MMXX" out January 17th, 2020

Silent Jay

Mike Portnoy is rumored to have recruited ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and former DREAM THEATER and current BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION keyboardist Derek Sherinian for his previously announced "progressive metal supergroup."
Although the former DREAM THEATER drummer has not yet confirmed Thal and Sherinian's involvement in the new project, he has been actively deleting comments on his official forum from fans who have concluded through various social-media posts that the pair are working with Portnoy in the freshly launched band.

Portnoy revealed the new project's existence in a March 1 post on his Facebook page. He shared a photo of himself in the studio and wrote in the accompanying caption: "Hmmmm....what have we here?? I'm in L.A. recording an album with something NEW... Sorry, this is all you're gonna get outta me on this for a while... More will be revealed at a later date... stay tuned! #ProgMetalSupergroup Coming soon..."

Update:

sonsofapollopsychoticcd.jpg

"Psychotic Symphony" track listing:

01. God Of The Sun
02. Coming Home
03. Signs Of The Time
04. Labyrinth
05. Alive
06. Lost In Oblivion
07. Figaro/S Whore
08. Divine Addiction
09. Opus Maximus

Edited by Silent Jay

I've been listening to lots of DT lately. Spent a good portion of my childhood and teenage days listening to Scenes from a Memory so it's like a trip through memory lane here. What a nostalgic ride.

"Another World" from A Change of Seasons is such a beautiful part of the song. SFAM itself is amazing. "Another Day' is a cheesy and yet awesome ballad. Erotomania, Metropolis pt 1... Great songs.

After Train of Thought I was already listening to other types of music and the masturbation of prog rock was not interesting anymore. But there are some good modern DT songs too, I really enjoy The Ministry of Lost Souls, Octavarium (the song) and The Count of Tuscany.

Mike Portnoy was essential to this band. His charisma can't be matched. They have three albums with Magini already and I can't bother to listen to them.

I was about to open a DT thread but fuck it, just wanted to share this with someone. DT is awesome. I've made a 14 songs playlist and the thing is 2h30m long!

I really like LaBrie's voice. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New project features former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian along with Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal, Billy Sheehan and Jeff Scott Soto

New supergroup Sons Of Apollo have revealed that they’ll release their debut album later this year.

The band sees former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian reunited – and they’re joined in the lineup by Mr Big and The Winery Dogs bassist Billy Sheehan, ex Journey frontman Jeff Scott Soto and former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal.

They’ll release the album Psychotic Symphony on October 20 via InsideOut Music/Sony Music which was produced by The Del Fuvio Brothers – aka Portnoy and Sherinian.

Portnoy explains: “Derek and I reunited shortly after I left Dream Theater in 2010 and we put together an all-instrumental touring band with he and I, Billy Sheehan and Tony MacAlpine.

“That was my first time working with Derek since the 90s when he was in Dream Theater and it was just great to be working with him again.

“Ever since that tour, which was really just a one-off live thing, he has been nudging me to start a real, original, full-time band. The timing just had never been right, because I had too many other things on my plate. Long story short, the time was finally right to take the bait and put together a band.”

Sherinian adds: “Mike and I work at a relentless pace in the studio. The music is modern, but we have an old school soul. What is unique about Sons Of Apollo is that we have true rock’n’roll swagger along with the virtuosity – a lethal combination!”

Portnoy is quick to let fans know that recording and touring with his Winery Dogs bandmate Sheehan in Sons Of Apollo isn’t the end for the band they’re in with Richie Kotzen.

He says: “This is a real band. This is going to pick up for me and Billy where The Winery Dogs left off, in terms of this being the next logical full-time thing for us.

“I’m not saying The Winery Dogs have broken up, because we haven’t, we’re just on a break. Sons Of Apollo is absolutely going to be a full-time band and we plan on touring all over the world all throughout 2018 and, honestly, it is the priority for all five of us.”

Sons Of Apollo have also released a short album teaser featuring their new material. Listen to the clip below.

Further album details will be revealed in due course – and Sons Of Apollo feature in the upcoming issue of Prog magazine, which hits store shelves on Friday, August 4. 

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-08-01/supergroup-sons-of-apollo-announce-debut-album

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  Sounds like a fun band.  I hear some 80's Jeff Beck and Alan Holdsworth (and maybe some Queen?) which I really enjoy.  I also hear some Rush right at the start of clip, that along with the modern metal thing isnt so much my jam, but Ill look forward to checking it out.  Seems like a good home for Bumblefoot.