[Sons Of Apollo] '"MMXX" out January 17th, 2020

Silent Jay

6 hours ago, moreblack said:

I think those were my exact words about DT's The Astonishing. Listened to it only once.

That album was... I don't even know how to describe it. A lot of people would say that double albums have unfortunate amounts of filler at times, but The Astonishing had some of the most (and worst) filler I've ever experienced on a double album. I only got through it once as well. It is awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wow..... I was expecting a good show but that shit was amazing. I had very high expectations and even those were blown away.

Did you get to meet the band afterward?

What do you think of the album? I bought it a few months back but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Did you get to meet the band afterward?

What do you think of the album? I bought it a few months back but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

Yeah, I always see Ron whenever he's around the state so he set us up for the after show and what not. I liked the album a great deal but I like it a lot more now after having heard the songs live.

None of these are my videos but here's some I found on YouTube from last night:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I always see Ron whenever he's around the state so he set us up for the after show and what not. I liked the album a great deal but I like it a lot more now after having heard the songs live.

I've only heard the two singles, I wasn't fussed on Coming Home, but Sign Of The Times was a good song. Will have to check out the rest of the record when I get the chance...

Ron seems a lot more invested in this band than Art Of Anarchy, which is a shame, because I really liked both AOA albums. Okay, the one with Scott Weiland was miles better (kind of like Velvet Revolver covering Chinese Democracy)... but, even the album with Scott Stapp had some great songs.

I've heard a few things from Sons of Apollo, and I have their album (haven't gotten around to listening to it yet), but I massively prefer AOA from what I've heard so far. But then I've never really been into that whole Dream Theatre prog-metal shit.

Edited by Towelie

15 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Art of Anarchy is pretty much over now. They're suing Stapp. Check the thread.

Can't believe another lead singer has let them down. To be honest, Stapp may have been the "big star" of the group, but he was definitely the weak link in terms of talent. The second album was great musically, but some of the vocals and lyrics made me cringe.

I still consider the debut album AOA did with Weiland to be one of the best rock albums of the last decade.

Really hope the band can keep going and find a new label/singer. I think they need to put to bed the idea of promoting AOA as some sort of rock supergroup. Rock supergroups don't work. They never have. Look at Velvet Revolver. Look at Audioslave. They need to find some unknown talent, a guy who can pull off all the material from the first two albums and someone who will view his place in AOA as his "big break", rather than keep hiring ex-90s rockstars who are too messed up/egotistical to see themselves as one fifth of a band.

The Votta brothers and Ron Thal have great chemistry, it'd be a shame to see that go to waste.

Finally given the SOA album a few listens. Really like it. It's not as good as the AOA albums with Weiland, but maybe it's better suited to Ron, he doesn't really belong in a "radio-friendly" 3min30sec rock-pop band. Ron has always shined the most when he can be his wacky self, and there's plenty of Ron's wacky shit on Psychotic Symphony.

Edited by Towelie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, RussTCB said:

@ZoSoRose and I are making the trek over to Cleveland to see SoA on Tuesday night. I've seen them twice and it's a great show. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Thinking of seeing them when they come to the UK in September. I kinda wish it was Art of Anarchy though. I've given the SOA album a few listens and it hasn't really grown on me like I'd hoped. I think Ron is less involved in the songwriting/production department and I think it shows, as the songs aren't as good imo.

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Thinking of seeing them when they come to the UK in September. I kinda wish it was Art of Anarchy though. I've given the SOA album a few listens and it hasn't really grown on me like I'd hoped. I think Ron is less involved in the songwriting/production department and I think it shows, as the songs aren't as good imo.

It's just a totally different thing. The way I understand it, he & Derrick wrote the core of pretty much every song.

Its 4 am and I just got home!

@RussTCB and I went to Cleveland to see them tonight and I had a blast. I was really impressed with Soto and Sheehan. I was expecting great things from the rest of the band but wasnt as familiar with those two. Soto is a great performer and has some great pipes and Sheehan is just a monster. The rest of the band delivered and it was especially nice to finally see Portnoy considering the time I saw Dream Theater was with Maningi.

The main reason I like the band, of course, is Ron. I think this is one of his best works. His guitar playing is superb. He really made sure each of his parts fit every song. His solos throughout the record are great and he didn't skip a beat live. It was nice to catch up with him after the show, too. I am glad he has been so creative since leaving GNR. This is his fourth released album across 3 different projects. Thats insane to me.

Anyways, I hope this band sticks around. They are fantastic live and I think there is a lot of potential for future releases.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The song is taken from SONS OF APOLLO's second studio album, "MMXX" (pronounced: 20/20), which will be released on January 17, 2020 via InsideOut Music/Sony. Produced by The Del Fuvio Brothers (Portnoy and Sherinian), "MMXX" will be made available as a standard CD package, limited-edition 2 CD package (which includes instrumental mixes and a cappella excerpts), 2 LP + CD package, and on all digital formats.

Here's the track listing for "MMXX":

01. Goodbye Divinity (7:16)
02. Wither To Black (4:48)
03. Asphyxiation (5:09)
04. Desolate July (6:11)
05. King Of Delusion (8:49)
06. Fall To Ascend (5:07)
07. Resurrection Day (5:51)
08. New World Today (16:38)

Sons-of-Apollo-album-cover-2-e1573960991

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1