What was Axl's best stage "look"/attire?

What era(s) had Axl's best stage attire? (multiple choice)  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

UYI era Rockstar Diva Axl :lol:

Cool. I liked that look because the guy wrote homophobic lyrics a few years before, but by 1991 he dressed gayer than Elton John in the 70s. You need balls for that. And I guess he literally wanted to show them with that look.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Cool. I liked that look because the guy wrote homophobic lyrics a few years before, but by 1991 he dressed gayer than Elton John in the 70s. You need balls for that. And I guess he literally wanted to show them with that look.

:lol: Think he was trying to make amends for past indiscretions when he went 'full YMCA' mode. :lol:

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Cosmic Ted said:

42932_1_ver1467746011.jpgI think THE COAT should return.

It NEEDS to happen. It is legendary.

3 minutes ago, Axl`s BFF said:

is it wrong that I love the rain coat I live in the uk so could do with one :lol::lol: the rain that night was really  bad the fans were lucky they didn`t abandon the show :axl:

No it's not wrong, it's very, very right.

• Like 2

The early glam look: Axl looked good in it and it fitted well with his young physique, but it put him and GnR, image-wise, with the bulk of the Sunset Strip bands, the Motley Crues, Poisons etc.

AFD attire was cool in the context of the respective era; although Axl had put his own touches and personality, that look didn't diverge from the macho metal-punk-glam norm of the era. The Farm Aid (typical jeans-wearing rocker look) and Lies era attires were also cool within the norm of what was considered a rocker's look. Same could be said about the 1993 look.

The UYI era look was unique; no other rock musician dressed like that. It was also bold, as it branched off from the typical rocker look and went against the macho hard rock stereotype. Some of the outfit choices were of questionable taste, but some others had personality being neither macho nor diva-like, and these are my all time favorites:

19910607-08photo01.jpg

http://indie88.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Leggings-Axl-Floral500.jpg

As for the post 2001 looks: the 2006 one was somewhat better and the current is okay. The rest ... :no:

• Like 2

What Axl had to say about the bike shorts:

IS: I'm serious. What about the issue of a man showing his legs the way you do?
AXL: This issue?! Is this a big issue?
IS: Well, it -
AXL: Is this, like, a big issue I haven't been fully informed of?
IS: Well, for a guy that's -
AXL: Oh, O.K. I can say my opinion.
IS: Go.
AXL: Meaning, like, Wow, this isn't necessarily the most macho, male, rock 'n' roll thing to do.
IS: You got it.
AXL: Yes, I know. Exactly. That's kinda why I did it. It began when I wanted to wear something different and I wore a pair of red, white, and blue shorts when I was in Rio that I had found in a store. I liked them. I could move around better, because what I do is pretty athletic. I try to make my own unorthodox moves.

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/intmag92.htm

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The early glam look: Axl looked good in it and it fitted well with his young physique, but it put him and GnR, image-wise, with the bulk of the Sunset Strip bands, the Motley Crues, Poisons etc.

AFD attire was cool in the context of the respective era; although Axl had put his own touches and personality, that look didn't diverge from the macho metal-punk-glam norm of the era. The Farm Aid (typical jeans-wearing rocker look) and Lies era attires were also cool within the norm of what was considered a rocker's look. Same could be said about the 1993 look.

The UYI era look was unique; no other rock musician dressed like that. It was also bold, as it branched off from the typical rocker look and went against the macho hard rock stereotype. Some of the outfit choices were of questionable taste, but some others had personality being neither macho nor diva-like, and these are my all time favorites:

19910607-08photo01.jpg

http://indie88.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Leggings-Axl-Floral500.jpg

As for the post 2001 looks: the 2006 one was somewhat better and the current is okay. The rest ... :no:

Interesting point of view...I guess unique would definitely be a word I'd use for the UYI era. 

What are your thoughts on his House of blues 2001 look? 

34 minutes ago, RONIN said:

What are your thoughts on his House of blues 2001 look? 

This was okay as an outfit

Axl3.jpg

but there was generally something off with during the period after his reemergence.

-------

It's ... interesting that this is a recurrent subject of discussion in the main section of the forum; "normally", it would be strictly women's thread territory (we have discussed it to death there). I don't think there has been any other rock musician (not talking about Bowie, for example, who had stage personas) whose looks/attires had been such a big subject of discussion among the fans (we have discussed this as well in the women's thread :lol:).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This was okay as an outfit

Axl3.jpg

but there was generally something off with during the period after his reemergence.

-------

It's ... interesting that this is a recurrent subject of discussion in the main section of the forum; "normally", it would be strictly women's thread territory. I don't think there has been any other rock musician (not talking about Bowie, for example, who had stage personas) whose looks/attires had been such a big subject of discussion among the fans.

I've always found it fascinating since his stage fashion is so OTT like Liberace. I thought his "costume" changes were distracting at the show I went to -- all I could think was, "Must you wear the cowboy jacket before KOHD Axl? Is that really necessary?" .

Then I understood something that was probably really obvious for most. His costume changes help him get into the vibe/mood of the song. Michael Jackson used to do the same thing as well. Part of the "artistic" process I suppose.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I've always found it fascinating since his stage fashion is so OTT like Liberace. I thought his "costume" changes were distracting at the show I went to -- all I could think was, "Must you wear the cowboy jacket before KOHD Axl? Is that really necessary?" .

Then I understood something that was probably really obvious for most. His costume changes help him get into the vibe/mood of the song. Michael Jackson used to do the same thing as well. Part of the "artistic" process I suppose.

Yes, this is it. The cowboy hat is for certain songs, the biker/cop hat was for others... In 1993 Skin N' Bones tour though he hardly changed costume once during the shows (I think in Harford, for example, he wore the same during the whole show).

87-90 is the best. 93 and 94 is solid as well. 

I dont mind 06 all that much. I kinda liked the Versace look a bit. I may also be because this is around the time I got into Guns as a teen. 

Current dress is pretty good as well.

UYI look was too much imo. the biker shorts, I didn't fuck with that.. the Kilts were ok, although still kinda weird. I dont even wanna get into the 09-14 look, so I'll leave that alone.