Mantia talks Guns N' Roses

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Brain, Finck, Stinson, Bucket, Freese, hell even Bumble...Axl had one of the most talented bands ever and didn't even fucking write with them. Talk about a waste of time.

Incompetence and insanity ... this is Dexter

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Brain, Finck, Stinson, Bucket, Freese, hell even Bumble...Axl had one of the most talented bands ever and didn't even fucking write with them. Talk about a waste of time.

Agree but there are songs. At least thirty songs easy.

I'm mad at Axl since he hasn't done shit for years, CD was already written almost twenty years ago, CDII was also signed, sealed and... ten years ago. There is also some newest stuff with vocals from 2014. He's wasting everybody's time at this point.

• Like 1

It is hard to fathom how guys who are professional musicians, with a crew of engineers to record, set up, mix and a producer(s) at the helm took so long to put 14 tracks out. Their whole job is to make music!

This album was the result of nobody wanting to say "no" to any aspect of the project, you don't need 30 different snares, just one you really like and maybe a second for songs with a different flavour.

I have seen this type of choice paralysis with re-amping guitars in the past. Just commit a sound to tape or disk and move on. Otherwise you'll be sat A/Bing your life away. 

15 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I don't understand why being an employee is such an issue for so many of you, what's the problem? They are not as good players as people who are not employed?

It wasn't a "fake band" it was a new lineup of a classic and famous band. This is the dictionary definition of a band, it has nothing do with being hired or whatever.

a group of instrumentalists playing music of a specialized type: rock band; calypso band; mariachi band.

Not sure why it's so difficult to just say you didn't like it, why do you have to hide behind this "fake band" nonsense? As if it makes your opinion factual or something. Having an "opinion" that it's a "fake band" is ridiculous ( if you must hide behind something to voice your opinion, at least come up with something that makes sense).

What constitutes a "fake band" in your opinion? A group that employs musicians? A group that doesn't have all of it's original members? A group that you don't happen to like?

some of the best musical combos in the world were employees, look at James Browns band, they'd out play ever fuckin' rock n roll outfit out there and had more artistic merit than you can shake a stick at.  They were treated very much on a employee basis. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 1:57 PM, sofine11 said:

I sure wish the people who are currently in Guns N' Roses were allowed to talk about Guns N' Roses. <_<

not saying this excuses it but my theory is they don't speak because every time they or someone else does it causes a big stink.

the elephant in the room is new music and i don't think they have much of an idea of how that will play....so silence until then.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:18 PM, Słash said:

What a shameful thing that Axl din't even come for rehearsals, according to Axl he worked so hard to put his new band together and din't even rehearse with them once? 

Josh Freese is a fabulous drummer, I wish he could play some shows, he was there at Coachella, I wish Axl called him on stage to play some CD songs.

He was paying a lot of money out so wouldn't he expect them to be ready for anything? If the show did well or sucked, it was all on Axl, esp. after Rock in Rio. 

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

so by the james brown/e street band rationals you're suggesting that slash, izzy, duff, steven/matt were axl rose's backing band?  are you kidding?  which song on appetite did axl write the music for?  

it's not that axl's employees were not a "band" it's that they were not "guns n' roses".  you can't just replace EVERYBODY and call it the same thing, that's not how it works.  what a joke.  that's called bullshit, that's called an insane ego maniac selling suckers like you a big fat fake bag of dicks.  those circus freaks that axl had in his solo band were "the axl rose band"  they were not nor will they ever be "guns n roses."  axl was 1/5 of something great.  that's it.  real guns was a family, they were the kind of thing you can't just go out and find, you can't just go out and hire.  it was lightening in a bottle.  

when axl sold himself out and called his solo band gnr, he sold out every gnr fan as well.  now he's fat and his prime is wasted.   

This argument is becoming tiresome.

Some people may not like the "NuGnr" lineup, which is perfectly fine and personal opinion, but it was Guns n Roses whether people like it or not. Hundreds upon hundreds of bands change multiple members and have contracted relationships with the musicians. There is nothing unusual or wrong about this by itself, and these bands are not fake or solo bands. Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Deep Purple etc etc have all had multiple contracted members. Where GnR differs is their contracted members for the most part didn't release enough new music, but this is for a variety of reasons not because they are "fake".

Edited by ToonGuns
corrections
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

so by the james brown/e street band rationals you're suggesting that slash, izzy, duff, steven/matt were axl rose's backing band?  are you kidding?  which song on appetite did axl write the music for?  

it's not that axl's employees were not a "band" it's that they were not "guns n' roses".  you can't just replace EVERYBODY and call it the same thing, that's not how it works.  what a joke.  that's called bullshit, that's called an insane ego maniac selling suckers like you a big fat fake bag of dicks.  those circus freaks that axl had in his solo band were "the axl rose band"  they were not nor will they ever be "guns n roses."  axl was 1/5 of something great.  that's it.  real guns was a family, they were the kind of thing you can't just go out and find, you can't just go out and hire.  it was lightening in a bottle.  

when axl sold himself out and called his solo band gnr, he sold out every gnr fan as well.  now he's fat and his prime is wasted.   

I wasnt trying to make a comment about GnR, just about the idea of the artistic or musical validity (whatever that means) of a band when the members are employees.

11 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It is hard to fathom how guys who are professional musicians, with a crew of engineers to record, set up, mix and a producer(s) at the helm took so long to put 14 tracks out. Their whole job is to make music!

This album was the result of nobody wanting to say "no" to any aspect of the project, you don't need 30 different snares, just one you really like and maybe a second for songs with a different flavour.

I have seen this type of choice paralysis with re-amping guitars in the past. Just commit a sound to tape or disk and move on. Otherwise you'll be sat A/Bing your life away. 

When you're bastard rich with everything to lose on an album then I imagine its an easy trap to slip into.

There's something these heavy rock collectives like NIN, Megadeth, GNR -it's like there a bigger goal in the record they are collabing. You can have individual artists or writers inside it but something bigger they are creating. Who decides what that is may be 1 guy or 2,3. It can vary but I don't think it takes away from the artistic intentions. You could say Dave took Megadeth away from what Megadeth should be with Risk validly on his own, but you could also say Lars and Het took it away from Mettalica between them, and some say Axl did it on his own. So in relation to GNR Axl didn't do much objectively different from these other situations, it's just how it's perceived. Comparing Smashing Pumpkins and NIN yields similar results. Billy is seen as not legit, whereas Trent's autonomy is accepted. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wasted said:

There's something these heavy rock collectives like NIN, Megadeth, GNR -it's like there a bigger goal in the record they are collabing. You can have individual artists or writers inside it but something bigger they are creating. Who decides what that is may be 1 guy or 2,3. It can vary but I don't think it takes away from the artistic intentions. You could say Dave took Megadeth away from what Megadeth should be with Risk validly on his own, but you could also say Lars and Het took it away from Mettalica between them, and some say Axl did it on his own. So in relation to GNR Axl didn't do much objectively different from these other situations, it's just how it's perceived. Comparing Smashing Pumpkins and NIN yields similar results. Billy is seen as not legit, whereas Trent's autonomy is accepted. 

I agree, but Gn'R is kinda different, each band is different. Some band members are more easily replaced than others. When the "official" story is Axl ruined the band and Slash was gone for 20 years because of that and only 1 album, it doesn't look good for people that are biased or maybe just don't know enough about varying degrees of collaboration. The goal was to make a Guns album, who should decide on it's direction if not Axl as the only remaining member at the time? and it's not like he could even write all these tunes on his own.

Edited by Rovim

Also it sounds like a collaborative effort. You've got If The World by Pitman, Bunch of Huge tunes, Better by Robin, SOD Dizzy Reed, and 3 Bucket tracks, one of them is Shackler's, etc. Can't tell me that's not artistically collaborative. Every member put his stamp on the album.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I agree, but Gn'R is kinda different, each band is different. Some band members are more easily replaced than others. When the "official" story is Axl ruined the band and Slash was gone for 20 years because of that and only 1 album, it doesn't look good for people that are biased or maybe just don't know enough about varying degrees of collaboration. The goal was the make a Guns album, who should decide on it's direction if not Axl as the only remaining member at the time? and it's not like he could even write all these tunes on his own.

Agreed. I was saying objectively it's the same thing and who decides the artistic intentions. Axl took it on in the same way Dave or Billy did. Whereas it used to be more like Las and Jim. So it changed but the goal/artistic intentions are the same. 

• Like 1

Locking this topic for 2 reasons:

1) It's super old and has already been discussed years ago. @auad please do not create threads like this anymore.

2) Of course this dissolved into a bunch of ridiculous "Axl Rose Solo Band" type of fighting, so more than half the thread had to be removed anyway.

• Like 1