Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview (old)

15 minutes ago, killuridols said:

When you are sick you just don't work.

If you can't work you don't go to work.

Now if you're sick and you charge your clients but can't do the job, then expect people to become utterly upset at that.

None of GN'R concerts were for FREE. People paid lots of money to see this guy and the way he talks about the audience in this interview it is just fuckin' disgusting.

Who does he think he is to tell people to not expect to go to school or their jobs the next morning? :crazy:

Just like he thinks he's entitled to charge a ticket and not show up to a show or appear 2 hours later, people are entitled to do whatever fuck they wanna do next morning.

That kind of answer is what makes him completely delusional about who he is.

Axl just not going on tour likely wasn't an option at a time when GNR was the biggest band in the world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

Axl just not going on tour likely wasn't an option at a time when GNR was the biggest band in the world. 

Agreed.

Axl has stated that Alan Niven booked the tour with out his permission and that the reason he didn't want to tour at the time was because he was struggling and doing thereby everyday.  Niven pressured saying that Slash would die of addiction if he didn't get on the road and straighten out a bit.  Niven suggested that would be partially Axls fault.  Axl even has suggested that Slash knew how vulnerable Axl was and wanted to somehow damage him by making him tour.

I cant track down the best version of Axl staying this, but here is one.  Sadly with less details:

Axl:  "As I've said before, I shouldn't have been on tour when we started in '91. That had a lot to do with Alan Niven, our then manager, and Slash. In my opinion Alan wanted money and Slash wanted the touring to get the better of me given my circumstances at the time. My safety and well-being were not their concern."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/axl-rose-the-extended-interview-ipad/news-story/a071ddb0f035fb9de084edb99c91c91a?sv=b286b1b25d12cd729a9ec8fae3566967

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Now if you're sick and you charge your clients but can't do the job, then expect people to become utterly upset at that.

None of GN'R concerts were for FREE. People paid lots of money to see this guy and the way he talks about the audience in this interview it is just fuckin' disgusting.

Who does he think he is to tell people to not expect to go to school or their jobs the next morning? :crazy:

Just like he thinks he's entitled to charge a ticket and not show up to a show or appear 2 hours later, people are entitled to do whatever fuck they wanna do next morning.

Why the fuck would the concerts be free? At the end of the day people can choose NOT to go, they can choose NOT to buy a ticket, yet they still do despite knowing what kind of performer he is, that he's likely to fuck around and take to the stage late or that he's just as likely to deliver a poor performance as a good one. I went to see GN'R a few years back and he came on at least an hour late and then fucked off early because someone in the crowd threw a coin at one of the guitarists. They were booed on and off stage. It was shit, I was gutted but in a way at least I'd seen something memorable. Also, I had bought my ticket KNOWING it could be like that. People have known for a long time that going to see GN'R is a lottery and if they can't deal with that, then don't go, it's that simple.

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Why the fuck would the concerts be free? At the end of the day people can choose NOT to go, they can choose NOT to buy a ticket, yet they still do despite knowing what kind of performer he is, that he's likely to fuck around and take to the stage late or that he's just as likely to deliver a poor performance as a good one. I went to see GN'R a few years back and he came on at least an hour late and then fucked off early because someone in the crowd threw a coin at one of the guitarists. They were booed on and off stage. It was shit, I was gutted but in a way at least I'd seen something memorable. Also, I had bought my ticket KNOWING it could be like that. People have known for a long time that going to see GN'R is a lottery and if they can't deal with that, then don't go, it's that simple.

good or bad but in a strange way that's one of the things that make gnr exciting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I think it was Del, who made that statement, not that it doesn't get any less ridiculous. There are some really out of touch people in that organisation.

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Ok, then. STFU and go on with the show. Or get down from the horse and face the consequences.

43 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Who said concerts should be free? :facepalm:

I said the shows weren't free as for him to feel entitled to walk out of the stage or not show up just because. People paid to see a show and its only logical they wanna see what they paid for.

In the 90's people didn't know how he was or what he was going to do. Not all shows were cancelled, not all shows he walked off stage. People never fuckin' knew when he was going to pull out a diva. You are speaking while you're reading today's newspaper, that's an easy thing to do, you know?

And even if people knew something, the tickets still say 9pm or 10pm so someone's not being honest here and I really doubt the audience can be blamed for wanting to see a show. Bear in mind that an audience of 50k people or more, 95% of them are casuals. The nerds like us who know everything about Axl and his antics can't be considered "general knowledge" about the guy.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

I think it was Del, who made that statement, not that it doesn't get any less ridiculous. There are some really out of touch people in that organisation.

It was Axl. It is in the interview posted in the first comment.

5 hours ago, AlexC said:

Sorry to continue to derail the discussion but as bad as this show was I actually watched Rock in Rio 2001 last night all the way through. Man, that was terrible. I think even worse than this show. Buckethead and Robin Finck's playing was so sloppy, like the solos were unrecognisable and Axl? Not only was there no rasp at all, he was shaky, out of breath and even his range had suffered considerably. Like his falsetto couldn't even sustain clean notes correctly. At least '11 saw Estranged make a return.

At least in 2001, new music was on the horizon and Axl kicked ass with his energy. There was passion in that damn performance and pride every time he said "this is a new song" along with some good old Axl rants and he was pretty good shape. There was a new band with talented musicians and new music was arguably going to be seen that year.

2011 showed Axl bloated and with no energy, an AFD-heavy set and no new songs. He even messed up half the songs by forgetting the lyrics or missing notes. It's great that Estranged came back but he didn't sing it well, there was no passion and 2011 showed the world that NuGN'R, the once brilliant band with untapped potential had regressed into a DJ Ashba led coverband with an Axl impersonator.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

GnR took the stage at 3AM that night and said:

"Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it - You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere," the band posted on Oct. 7. "Or you wanna be informed go catch the 10 o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you 'normally' do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. 'you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!' This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite."

:axl::facepalm:

@KillYourIdols This is the quote and has nothing to do with Axl's interview in the first post.

5 hours ago, soon said:

I just wanna celebrate the fact that he does fully acknowledge that he has emotional and psychological issues.  (...) Impacted by trauma, insulated by fame and handlers, I believe he's done all he could.

do you really think he did as much as he could?

the funny fact about axl is that all his emotional/psichological/trauma/insulation/whatever issues that supposedly (according to himself on this interview) are the reason that made him do what he did (like being late on shows) were 100% (or at least very much) manageable when he wasnt big enough to do things as he pleased

by all accounts, axl was exactly the same "lunatic" when GNR started (ask izzy, slash etc)

but back then he HAD to make it on time on the shows and he HAD to treat well his bandmates, fans, and everyone else around him and he HAD to do a lot of things in order to "make it"

well, not only axl "made it", but he also became "axl rose, the biggest singer in rock n roll"

and then everything changed!

all of a sudden axl cant make it on time on shows anymore

all of a sudden axl thinks his bandmates are not so important

all of a sudden... (we know all the rest)

funny, huh?

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Who said concerts should be free? :facepalm:

I said the shows weren't free as for him to feel entitled to walk out of the stage or not show up just because. People paid to see a show and its only logical they wanna see what they paid for.

In the 90's people didn't know how he was or what he was going to do. Not all shows were cancelled, not all shows he walked off stage. People never fuckin' knew when he was going to pull out a diva. You are speaking while you're reading today's newspaper, that's an easy thing to do, you know?

And even if people knew something, the tickets still say 9pm or 10pm so someone's not being honest here and I really doubt the audience can be blamed for wanting to see a show. Bear in mind that an audience of 50k people or more, 95% of them are casuals. The nerds like us who know everything about Axl and his antics can't be considered "general knowledge" about the guy.

My point is that you're virtually saying 'how dare he charge people for tickets and then fuck around the way he does?' What I'm saying is of course he's going to charge people for tickets and then it is up to people to decide whether they are going to go or not, they don't have to, they know what to expect, they know how unpredictable Axl is/has pretty much always been.

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

"And I started therapy in February [1991] and, Jesus, I'm right in the middle of stuff"

Now imagine yourself "right in the middle of stuff" that Axl has got to face and at the same time fronting the biggest band on the biggest tour in the world.

Like @soon said, I believe he's done all he could. #peace ;)

7 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

My point is that you're virtually saying 'how dare he charge people for tickets and then fuck around the way he does?' What I'm saying is of course he's going to charge people for tickets and then it is up to people to decide whether they are going to go or not, they don't have to, they know what to expect, they know how unpredictable Axl is/has pretty much always been.

Right, blame the people who bought the tickets. Well, with douches like you....

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

One thing that strikes me about this interview is how little Axl seems to care about the tide of public opinion turning against him, particularly fan opinion. He doesn't sound disturbed or concerned about it at all going by that interview. And yet he was surprised years later when these fans would eventually fail to show up for the 2002 shows and fail to support Chinese Democracy when it was finally released. 

It doesn't matter how big or untouchable the artist is, you have to do fan service man or that stuff catches up with you eventually. Axl took his fans for granted and it absolutely affected his later projects. 

Re: The Izzy stuff -- I think as the leader/CEO of the band, he should have fought harder not to lose one of the most valuable components of his business/brand. Bringing in Dave Navarro or Gilby Clarke as an employee to replace Izzy only diluted the value of GnR and its legitimacy in the eyes of the fans/critics. You don't mess with a winning formula. I'm not convinced this weakened band could have stood the onslaught from the grunge/alternative movement even if they had stayed together. Not unless they had made some major changes to their sound/vision.

I thought RS did a great interview with him though. A number of direct questions without any fluff -- it would be impossible to get that kind of interview from Axl today since he only does interviews with puff pieces or his lackeys like Del James.

The interview Axl granted to billboard with Del with the release of CD was a good interview with direct questions.

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Right, blame the people who bought the tickets. Well, with douches like you....

What mate? Who's blaming anyone? What I'm saying is people take a risk buying a ticket to see GN'R and always have done, knowing it could either be the best show they've ever seen or a complete disaster. Is it that hard to understand the point I'm making?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

@KillYourIdols This is the quote and has nothing to do with Axl's interview in the first post.

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

What I was talking about is this and it was posted by OP.

14 hours ago, RONIN said:

Let's say a fan stopped you on the street and said: "Listen, I bought all your records, but I'm sick of your bullshit. I come to a show and you're two hours late, and I have to work the next day. You don't give a fuck about me."
If I didn't give a fuck about them, I'd come out and do a shitty show. I'd come out and tell 'em to fuck off. I'd sit down, sing the songs off-key and just not care. But I do care, and I also care too much about myself to do that. It's confusing to me that people go, "Well, I have to work in the morning." If you were getting laid, you wouldn't be so worried about what time it was. I know it's complicated, but so is getting onstage. And I'm sorry. I try to make it up by coming out and doing a good show and explaining as much as I can about what was going on in my head and why we weren

------

48 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

This must be the most fucked logic I've ever read anywhere :facepalm:

I hope, never in your life, you become a person involved in business.

Your Customer's Support department will, literally, explode.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This must be the most fucked logic I've ever read anywhere :facepalm:

I hope, never in your life, you become a person involved in business.

Your Customer's Support department will, literally, explode.

Sorry but you've lost me now. I've no idea what you're babbling on about.

10 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Sorry but you've lost me now. I've no idea what you're babbling on about.

Of course you have no idea.

No doubt about it.

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

@killuridols Sorry, but you're wrong too. ;) Axl didn't talk about school. He was talking about  work. You were quoting the school and work statement and I was referring to that. And that was not Axl's statement. But whatever. Outlandish regardless of it's source

It doesn't matter. When I mentioned that I was referring to the answers he gave to the RS journalist.

By the sound of it, this statement doesn't look like something Del James came up with.

It reads Axl all over.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

do you really think he did as much as he could?

the funny fact about axl is that all his emotional/psichological/trauma/insulation/whatever issues that supposedly (according to himself on this interview) are the reason that made him do what he did (like being late on shows) were 100% (or at least very much) manageable when he wasnt big enough to do things as he pleased

by all accounts, axl was exactly the same "lunatic" when GNR started (ask izzy, slash etc)

but back then he HAD to make it on time on the shows and he HAD to treat well his bandmates, fans, and everyone else around him and he HAD to do a lot of things in order to "make it"

well, not only axl "made it", but he also became "axl rose, the biggest singer in rock n roll"

and then everything changed!

all of a sudden axl cant make it on time on shows anymore

all of a sudden axl thinks his bandmates are not so important

all of a sudden... (we know all the rest)

funny, huh?

You're really not getting it.